Feminized Seeds , Whats Your thoughts!?

Anyone watch a recent episode on Vice on HBO? Sadly the king GH seed breeder died of malaria in the Congo. But man I have no respect for GH seeds what so ever. GH seeds makes millions while invading and ripping off landrace from remote regions from these poor farmers. When the CEO of GHS was asked are you going to kick back $'s to the regions you took seeds, he replied hell no. What an asshole! Worth a watch.

3 Likes

Agreed, make mine reg 90% of the time but when Im in a “time pinch” make mine fem.

Too many pollen chucker’s for sure…

Ya, if you are local here we can meet up sometime. I am out in the hills east of town though and I do not get into the city much any more. Traffic is Hell in PDX now. Agreed on all your points as well, as there is no point in pushing genetics to get 30% THC bud when you can easily make 50% oil or 80% dabbs/shatter/wax. I prefer 2 or even 3 hit weed so I can control the high, and not go into a coma after one hit. I also like CBD and several of the other cannabinols in there. Currently I am growing two strains of landrace Lebanese reds. They have high CBD levels, and I figure why try to re-invent the wheel crossing high CDB strains with high THC strains and winding up with a myriad of variable results that would take years to get what I want, when I can just grow red Lebbies that already have that combination and they are stable? They just popped their true leaves yesterday, and their stems are already red. I am also planning a Durban Poison run this year at my brother’s place. DP seeds from ZA, but I read that the best Durban cut was developed in the SF Bay area and is the one that is floating around the west coast.

Another worry of mine is the fact that a lot of the early heirlooms are also being lost in the rush for the latest strains with names like Green Crack. The name Green Crack is not helping things either, but early strains like Cali-O, early Haze and Skunk, etc. and even newer strains like GDP are getting harder to find in true form. The seed breeders have watered them down trying to ‘improve’ them with other genetics, or letting F1/S1,2,3 and 4 seed genetics drift and fade. True clones are harder to come by now. Which is sad, as the west coast had a flourishing MJ medical cut trade that peaked about 2010 or so. Now with the rec industry moving in, one has to wonder what will happen. Will Dave Watson unleash his DEA gotten genetics and drown everything else out? He told me on another forum that he has over a metric ton of seeds in storage. That is a lot of weed seed.

5 Likes

Ya, Strain Hunter and GH Seeds co-founder Franco died recently. Travel the world and see exotic places, and wind up with exotic diseases. I have had my share of exposure to exotic diseases traveling around Central America. So I watch the Strain Hunter vids on YouTube on Telly, drink a beer, and leave my passport in the desk drawer. Even they are having a hard time finding true landraces any more though, and they are fading fast from the earth and being replaced with auto-flowering fem indica dominant modern strains, like Green Crack, Gorilla Glue and the latest OG Kush back cross. ChemDawg genes are in just about everything out there now. One S1 seed back in '91 has come to completely dominate the Cannabis world. More scary herm genetics.

I have had conversations with several at GHS and they claim that they do not release their landrace genetics for fear that the genetics will wind up in the great cesspool of Super-Silly OG-Haze-Widow-Skunk-Goo crosses out there now. But my counter to that is that they are doing just that by releasing their rather limited and weird cross strains of heirloom genetics. So more than likely they fear that their heirlooms would be ripped off by the other seed companies. That is why I do not sell my landrace seeds. I do not want to make others rich on my stash of seeds.

5 Likes

Very interesting comments. While I would tend to agree with the ‘pollution’ of landrace genepool risk posed by carelessness and greed, but, what is going on with hybridization and backcrossing in the cannabis industry is no different from any crop humans have made valuable. The mere principal of genetic isolation and purity of landrace strains and heirloom breeds (cannabis, vegetables, fruit, flowers) by the holders of these genetics (individuals, national gov’ts etc.) isolates them from widespread useage by the masses. Feminizing, backcrossing, hybridization are all here to stay and just recently permeated the cannabis seed business, and as such these things are not going away. Preservation of landraces has always been the hallmark of any breeder, regardless of species they nurture. These cannabis landrace gods are now the keepers of the old originals and I suppose have a duty? to continue. The genetics will be squirreled away for decades in closets basements and isolated farms in the areas that they were born. It is impractical to expect mainstream cannabis consumers/growers to limit themselves to a 14 week equatorial sativa that yields an ounce of so-so leafy rope. Getting good at growing these type of plants is best left to the expert grower/breeders as it takes a shitload of experience to get a good expression. Expecting noobs, personal growers, and production facilities to stay pure is well…a nice thought. Buying and growing femmed seeds from places like GH should bear no shame for growers IMO, some of us live close to the damn arctic ya dig?

10 Likes

I have no problems with Seeds Banks than help to preserve n work landraces, n latter sells good feminized hybrids whith these strains to the Mainstret Market, but that sells regular heirlooms toó…

1 Like

Well said, I appreciate your thoughtful articulation. All input is appreciated. Indeed your seasoned experience comes through. Cheers!

2 Likes

It’s interesting to see the widespread acceptance of auto flowering strains that has taken place during my absence.

I saw this a few times with growers which resulted in grow reports that were more a reflection of the growers skills than the potential of the strain.

4 Likes

While I do have many Equatorial landrace strains due to many trips to those regions over the last 4 decades. And im lucky to know and have many family members in Oaxaca and many regions in Mexico. Also, So very fortunate to know many very expierenced and talented breeders who share (we) their strains and knowledge with me! who btw are not interested in making $'s from their work but for the love of growing. Who, like me, do not use Cannibis but are addicted to growing. Like my buddy Ed Rosenthal says, “the only thing addictive about Cannabis in growing it.” One of my favorite landrace to grow is Santa Marta Gold. It’s been a couple years since I’ve propagated a crop because in my region it takes to the end of November to finish. I have the equipment to finish Santa Marta G, a fully contained greenhouse with 4 HPS 1000w backup lights, Heaters, dehumidifier, and so on. Thanks folks I think it’s time to crack some Gold for the summer…

1 Like

Well, for those that poo-poo landraces and hold the latest genetics in the highest esteem, do not forget that landraces were where all of the latest genetics came from. Every last gene in every strain you are toking came from landraces. The issue is that the landraces are disappearing rapidly around the globe and their genetics are going away with them, forever. Also the landraces were not all weak-ass crap as some would think. Half of my landrace strain collection will simply knock you on your ass. I did not save run of the mill strains, I saved the best strains. South Indian Kerala ganja, to this day, is the most potent weed I have ever smoked. I first had some of that in 1975. People were knocking on my door wanting more 2 MONTHS after I ran out of it. It was that good.

I have landraces like Punto Rojo, Santa Marta, Panama Red, Durban Poison, Guerrero, Colombian Wacky Weed, Oaxacan Mint, thin stick Thai, Red Lebanese, Cambodian Red, and South Indian Kerala Ganja. I also have some heirlooms like early Santa Cruz Haze, Big Sur Holy, some early unnamed Pacific Valley African crosses, and some early Big Sur purple crosses. They are but a drop in the bucket of lost genetics though. We are losing strains left and right, and once they are gone, they are gone forever. What are they going to do when all the latest and hottest 50 current strains have all been worked to death and that is all there is around the world? Re-seeded Cannabis strains decline over time, this has been noted for centuries by hemp growers. This is also being noted by strain growers that re-seed top strains. They decline in later generations. For example, it is hard to find a good cut of GDP any more, in less than 20 years after it was developed.

So I will grow my landraces. I have been smoking Durban Poison lately. Better than White Widow, and stronger. It is like early Thai, a clean sativa high. No indica in there. indica has its place, as do the crosses, but I prefer pure strain sativas.

5 Likes

I’m not poo pooing landrace strains at all and I assume my younger years (70’s) was filled with smoking brown sun dried sativas, full of sticks and seeds LOL. Was great stuff, and had that good long head high that most indicas don’t. My point was that if you are an experienced grower in a favourable climate, then you have the luxury of getting good results from a landrace grow. If new growers were to start with these breeds, then there wouldn’t be many growers. Whose most at fault here with the disappearing landrace strains? A small time grower in say Columbia, whose family was growing a long sativa for years, and getting poorly paid, now has the opportunity to run another crop or two a year with a hybrid? No choice there. Hell our food farmers will throw tons of roundup on his field of GMO grain, for a few dollars more produce a year, so natural reduction of wild genetics, happens with everything. If many feel its important, or valuable, they will keep it pure. But, if it isn’t marketable, even the preservationist will stop producing it. I know this could mean genetic doomsday in like centuries, but no one is altruistic enough to keep growing ‘purple bhutan fire weed’ for the love of mankind. I don’t know what a landrace cow even looks like, but hybrids sure taste good. I think the biggest threat to cannabis genome diversity is trademarking when it becomes legal. The genetics would be preserved, but kept away from the public and therefore extinct for all intents and purposes.

4 Likes

I feel no obligation to try to preserve wild varieties. They were there before I was, and its likely they will be there when I am gone. Wild varieties are just that, wild, they are not exactly appealing or are they optimized for production, I’m sure from there they hold traits that we are looking for but my own experience, it would take ALOT of time to produce a cultivar, especially if starting from a wild ancestor or heirloom.

There are alot of restrictions on how I grow, I do look for shortcuts to make seeds or feminize. Its a tool I use but I do not abuse.

But Malawi ACE yare usin in breedin (Im right?) is heirloom, @GrowerGoneWild. … There are s lot of great n potent heirlooms avaliable in market…

Yes we are using Ace Malawi, some of the other crosses use Aficionado.

And the Aficionado crosses appear to be more potent than KO. Just need to verify with a lab test.

3 Likes

Sure, I’ve picked up Durban, Columbian, Oxacan… all kinds of landraces. The last time I picked up seeds. Those were not cheap either.

1 Like

In factc @GrowerGoneWild yare using the “same” Malawi ACE usedi n my Psilocybo Malawi Bangui i will sent @pookie123 …I have another too : Psilocybo Mexica Haze : [(Afrutado Mexicano X Amnesia Haze) X (Malawi ACE)]…

2 Likes

@Mig

I’ll check it out… thanks for the tip.

1 Like

Ya cant find these in any ACE or CBG catalogue, as same of Red Snake n others, @GrowerGoneWild … Not avaliable (at least till right now): are the Kaiki n Psilocybo “own private stuff”… RED SNAKE outdoor pot test:

[QUOTE=jardi;4108042]
Red Snake.

INFORMACION GENERAL:[/B]

Variedad: Red Snake , Oaxaca´79 x Colombia Punto Rojo.
Criador /Banco: Kaiki , Cannabiogen .
Cultivador:Kaiki.
Fecha cata: 16/17-Febrero-2015.

CATA VISUAL:

Cogollos: En forma de llama/espiga y no muy grandes.
Pistilos: De tono marrón suave , sin apenas rizar y en cantidad.
Relacion caliz/hoja, aspecto:Media/buena para ser un cruce de sativas , se limpia con facilidad.
Tricomas: De pequeño/medio tamaño , con un tono ambarino en su mayor parte y cubriendo con buena densidad los cálices , algo menos las hojas que los acompañan.
¿Presencia de semillas?No

CATA EN SECO:

Densidad (peso):Media/baja , cogollo ligero.
Dureza:Media/baja , aunque “abre” mas de lo que te esperas.
Aroma cogollo:Muy bueno , combina matices entre maderas dulces y tonos florales/frutales con una ligera acidez.
Aroma cogollo trinchado:Se intensifican los aromas florales/frutales con un punto agridulce , se atenúan los matices a madera y se mantiene el punto ácido.
Sabor sin combustión:Completamente fiel al aroma de las flores desmenuzadas.

CATA EN COMBUSTIÓN:

Medio: Canuto y también vaporizada en Bong ( matraz) .
Aroma en combustión:Ligeramente “seco” , no muy destacable.
Sabor en combustión:
Al inhalar entra suavemente y sin apreciar ningún matiz por encima de otro , bien conjugado aunque algo “ligero”.Al exhalar se aprecia la “redondez” del gusto que resulta algo “suave” en relación a los aromas que se olían en
las flores , aún así te hace salivar y deja un buén retrogusto en boca .
Vaporizada en Bong resulta mas “fresca” y se perciben notas cítricas realmente suculentas.

Guia para Catas: 0 para minimo, 10 para maximo. Rellenar tantas casillas como sea necesario.

EFECTOS:

Inicio efectos, duracion: Aunque no es inmediata antes de terminar el canuto ya estas con un placentero hormigueo en los carrillos.
Tipo de efectos: Cerebral y chispeante , te activa con una buena potencia y ganas de “jolgorio” , sin sensaciones desagradables (taquicardia , ansiedad , aceleración descontrolada…), si te excedes llega a resultar “voladora”
Recomendada para:El cahondeo en general , hacer cosas “ en globo” , cocinar….
No recomendada para: Dormir?

Guia para Efectos: Apunta [P] si has notado un efecto positivo y [N] si has tenido un efecto negativo. Especifica si es necesario.

[P] [] Actividad
[P] [N] Alivio de la ansiedad
[P] [] Alivio del dolor
[P] [] Apetito
[P] [N] Capacidad para descansar o estar quieto
[] [N] Dormir
[P] [] Imaginación/creatividad
[P] [N] Impulso sexual
[P] [N] Introspección
[P] [N] Paranoia
[P] [] Percepción auditiva
[P] [] Percepción de humor
[P] [] Percepción visual
[P] [] Percepción del gusto
[P] [N] Proceso del habla
[P] [N] Proceso del pensar
[P] [N] Taquicardia

INFORMACION ADICIONAL:

Luz: Exterior.
Sustrato: Tierra.
Abono: Humus , guano y Delta9 CBG
Riego: Manual
Tiempo Floracion:En maceta sobre final de octubre , en suelo a mediados/finales de noviembre.
Tiempo de secado/curado: Secado 10-12 días , curado unos tres meses y medio.
Comentarios:Ante todo agradecer a kaiki la posibilidad de catar estas maravillas.

Una variedad a tener en cuenta para los aficionados a las sativas , con unos aromas muy buenos y diferentes, y un efecto poderoso y de buena calidad.

Aqui de cerca.

Saludos.

2 Likes

Now that sounds like a great strain and looks wonderful also. :slight_smile:

1 Like