Feminized Seeds , Whats Your thoughts!?

No, tu no esta un pequeno nino en Ingels aqui. Yo estoy quatro anos quando yo escribo aqiu! But I will reply in English so that others can follow.

True that plant patents are only valid and upheld in 1st world countries, but the future I see is going to be dominated by corporate industrial growing of OGiCK clones here and no longer importing weed from the 3rd world. I doubt that the home growing market will be anything like the landscaping market with plants like roses and fruit trees though. Patents will likely be enforced at the clone level in industry rather than for home growers. They cannot come here on my property and bust me for cloning patented roses, unless I try to sell them or make money off of them. The high impact aspect of Monsanto that people fear though is GMO and things like the death gene that prevents viable seed from forming, prevents cloning and prevents growing and flowering for more than one cycle. And in places like Uruguay, they are actively asking companies to develop Cannabis genetic markers to show that the clone or strain is local to Uruguay.

I doubt that the USA will ever sign an international treaty over transfer of Cannabis seeds and genetics. I am sure that there will be legal cases brought against growers of certain strains that certain people claim to own or have patents on. But that will likely be at the national level, and not the international level. Certainly the Chinese will continue to ignore all patents, copywrites and trademarks. globally that stuff is impossible to enforce. Meaning that growers out there will no longer have the big money markets here that they are losing now to legalized weed.

As for the likes of the cartels n Mexico, they are already reacting to the lower demand for weed. Or rather, from what I have heard, farmers in states like Sinaloa and the Baja states in Northern Mexico are just not growing Cannabis any more because the prices they are getting are too low. The same thing is going to happen here to small growers once things ramp up to a super-massive growing scale, as is being seen now in Canada, Colorado and Massachusetts. In the US, Canada and EU we can crank out pot on an industrial scale with ease. Just look on YouTube. Though on YouTube there is also video on a massive cartel outdoor grow that was busted by the Federales in Baja (Baja Norte or Sur, I forget which). That MJ grow site was HUGE! Disguised with camo netting and all.

Also keep in mind that legal weed in Oregon at least was intended to specifically drive out the black market for weed. It seems to be working. I can buy weed at the local dispensary for 100 an oz. after tax. Good fresh grown local bud/nugs, certified and tested for residue and strength. I do not think that the cartels can make enough money on $100/oz or $13/eighth weed. The black market has been above the $4,000 a pound range for a long time, but as of today the average outdoor grown pound of legal weed here is (Cannabis Benchmark price) is $1,200. Which leaves slim margins and can crush the black market price. At any rate, the cartels are already shifting back to more meth/ice and coke/crack, and opioids. Mexican brown heroin is on the rapid rise here to satisfy the habits of people addicted to Rx opioids like Vicodin, Codine, Tramadol, and oxy. That has created a source of anti-marijuana lobbying, in a (what I believe is false) claim that smoking weed leads directly to the use of harder drugs. The counter clam is also being made that legal weed reduces the likelyhood of using opioids, and marijuana is available as a soft landing replacement for people addicted to them. I do not like opioids myself, and have a low tolerance for them. I have been jacked up on pharma grade Dilauid and Morpheme in hospitals, and I did not like the feeling on either one. I also do not like taking Vicodin. So I am not a junkie, but I am most certainly a pot head, and have been for about 40 years now.

4 Likes

imho when fem seeds are created they cut the male out by doing that the seed are getting rid of the benefits males give seeds like there pest resistance there mold resistance so potentially if ur running a them outdoors an ven indoors u may get screwded and fem seeds dont produce like a reg seed

1 Like

if u are good at what u what u do there are people not going to trust big corp marlb has a field next there tobbaco guess if u think there pesticides they use in there harmfull ciggs isnt going to get on ur bud hmmmmmmmmmm big corp isnt going take the time to grow it right big corp suck

@BigSur the Mexican cartel has stopped with weed for the most part but they started pushin meth an herion which is wherre that stuff is coming from

Iā€™ve already said my piece, but I do want to add that the obvious issue is already rearing itā€™s head. If you read any seed review boards, you see a lot of people complaining about hermaphrodites and blaming breeder-x for having shitty products - when they should be blaming themselves for buying feminized seed.

Big Sur is right though, as soon as big money hits the ground running weā€™re all just hobbyists at best.

Iā€™ve just ran into this statement from Chimera that gives another interesting view on the subjectā€¦ Anybody knows more about it?

Chimera Seeds will NEVER offer feminized seeds. I will however offer TRUE GYNOECIOUS releases in the next couple of years. ā€˜Feminizationā€™ or ā€˜Feminizedā€™ seeds are marketing terms, not plant breeding terms. I think feminized seeds have problems because thatā€™s what they are: poorly ā€œfeminizedā€ version or the same - not a true gynoecious populations.

I have been working with gynoecious selections for the better part of a decade and have parallel gynoecious populations of almost all of my lines.

The creation of gynoecious lines is a technique- an ends to a means, and not a result per se. They are neither all good nor all bad. Anyone that espouses either position as ā€˜the only wayā€™ is missing the point, IMHO. The seeds are only as good as the technique used to create them, and the genetic contributions of the selections on which they were based. The future health of the population is directly dependent on the genetic diversity contained therein.

I did an interview with Dolce Vita a couple of years back (an Italian cannabis mag) and one of the questions was about ā€˜feminized seeds and whether feminized seeds would ruin the global cannabis genepoolā€™ā€¦ my reply was that I was far more concerned with the technique of 1:1 matings, genetic bottle necks and founder events than the creation of feminized seeds per se. Why? Because 1:1 matings significantly reduces the genetic diversity wihin any given line.

The creation of gynoecious populations can be achieved without 1:1 matings. They are not mutually inclusive. The problem in my eyes is that the vast majority (perhaps even ALL) of the current ā€˜feminizedā€™ seeds are produced by 1:1 matings. People sit around and try to argue that they are bad because they are ā€˜feminizedā€™ā€¦ whereas in my opinion, if they created using proper technique (ie - NOT something silly like "Rodelizationā€™)ā€¦ they are of ill genetic health because of the fact that they are products of 1:1 matings schemes, and not the result of ā€˜feminizationā€™ in and of itself.

Make sense?.

Respectfully,
-Chimera

4 Likes

All that is above my pay grade. With legalization and more breeders jumping in prices will come down and there wonā€™t be any reason for female only seeds i hope. It isnā€™t hard to sprout ten seeds and find five or six females. Fems wonā€™t ever disappear but the hermies arenā€™t worth it for a lot of growers.

3 Likes

The other side of legalization is that there will probably be more of a divide between commercial growers and hobbyists: the former wonā€™t want to risk hermies and will be cloning in bulk. The latter (speaking for myself, so sorry if Iā€™m generalizing) is growing instead of buying for the fun, the challenge, and the love of the plant.

Fems and autos are convenient: theyā€™re the fast food of growing weed. I imagine there will still be a market for amateur-ish black market grows and for people who want to give growing a try, but the former disappear rapidly with legal recreational marijuana, and the latter will turn to regular beans if they become serious about the hobby.

Just the $0.02 of someone with 3 feminized plants in flower, recently educated by this thread.

I think if you can pick up twenty regular seeds that cost twenty bucks or twenty fems for twenty bucks most people will choose the better quality of product for their money. In most cases the fems will have more problems, so will fall to the wayside. That is pure opinion so take it with a grain of salt. :relaxed:

When I decided to get back into growing, a cpl months ago, I first started my stash of old stuff(2002/2005); when I was greeted by a 0% sprouting I went to the local growshop: despite stocking a lot of seeds he had just like 2 pack of regular vs some hundred of feminized/autoā€¦
We started talking and he told me that it was at least 6 months since somebody asked for regs and the only regs he was ordering were for himselfā€¦
The bad thing is that even his ā€œbreedersā€ customers use just femmed onesā€¦
:frowning:
Peace
D_S

2 Likes

@Dee.S73 I hope that is just ignorance. Surely nobody is ā€œteachingā€ people that fems are the same or better than regs.

@ryasco : go figure today I had to discuss with that shop co-owner on curing as he just told me that curing is overrated and unnecessaryā€¦ and that ā€œhe does cut on harvest time all the buds and put them to dry in a netbag for 3/4 days, till itā€™s smokable : ok, good, cured.ā€
I was like WTF !!! :astonished: :fearful: :scream:
wellā€¦ after more than 1 hour of discussion I couldnā€™t even get him to try to decently cure 1 plant ā€¦ just to try and see for himselfā€¦
Iā€™m speechlessā€¦I donā€™t even wanna think about what new growers can learn from him, when asking advisesā€¦
D_S

4 Likes

Wow! There isnā€™t a whole lot you can do about willful ignorance. He has made his decision and will fall behind doing the same thing over and over while defending that decision. We will learn and improve our product as time goes on with thought and trial and error. :grin: Why voluntarily smoke chlorophyll and ammonia.:unamused:

4 Likes

@Baudelaire

I am in full agreement with you onb this topic, that I think we are all ready there too due to comercial practices and novices seed mongers, marketing crap that they know crap about. A pretty peice of card with images on, a few well selected marketing words, auto, feminised, fast version. They all taste the same look the same and give awfull affects if smoked. The big problem is the younger generations beleive this feeling they get from smoking this stuff is what been chilled/stoned/relaxed is when in actual fact it creates serious anxiety / anger / insomnia issues in a lot of smokers. How is that kind of feeling related to been stoned at all.

1 Like

@BigSur

I am in full agreement with you onb this topic, that I think we are all ready there too due to comercial practices and novices seed mongers, marketing crap that they know crap about. A pretty peice of card with images on, a few well selected marketing words, auto, feminised, fast version. They all taste the same look the same and give awfull affects if smoked. The big problem is the younger generations beleive this feeling they get from smoking this stuff is what been chilled/stoned/relaxed is when in actual fact it creates serious anxiety / anger / insomnia issues in a lot of smokers. How is that kind of feeling related to been stoned at all.

Both Bigsur and Baudelaire, I am in total agreement with your thinking and philosopy on this subject. It is a real shame but the only way will be to grow your own. As mentioned in one of the posts in this thread,
(and having a family memeber who was head of Europe for some time and head of Asia for a while for a global pharma company for a most of his working life, now retired) The big companies cash will create more health problems and side affects and then sell another product to counter those ill none wanted side affects. Keep your land race seed stocks safe.

This thread should be made a sticky!! @teamovergrow

1 Like

Wow it said it would take me 27 mins to read all that it took me an hour, and now iā€™ve got to read the link to nevilles thread and its over 100 pages Oh well its going to be a late night :scream:

2 Likes

If you would only sell to us mortalsā€¦ LOL!

Im just like everybody elseā€¦ I just try harderā€¦ I just dropped a grand looking for nursery stock and seeds, if I gotta fly to the hotspots for gear I will.

2 Likes

I spend way too much on seeds. Ha! Ha! It is fun and there is always something new that catches my eye.

bro I just picked up strawberry bannana from DHN, chernobyl, pre98, skywalker OGā€¦ etcā€¦

2 Likes