Figured id show my DIY air scrubber

Here is my DIY air scrubber i built. Thought id share in case anyone else is needing something like this.

Better than any store bought scrubber :+1:

14 Likes

That thing is HUUUUUUUUUGE

4 Likes

35 gallons huge :joy::joy::joy: Does the job better than anything i ever bought…hahaha

5 Likes

You gotta show us inside, man! Whatcha got under there? Steel duct? Some filter cloth maybe? Of course some activated charcoal I assume.

7 Likes

Yeah I would like to see the build if you have any picks. I hate having to throw out scrubbers. Seems like a waste. Dose the air come out the back end?

8 Likes

Also interested in the build procedures. See what you got started.

4 Likes

Ill pull it apart and show you guys. Its just stuffed with blue filter and charcoal. Here is the intake side…

11 Likes

The build is pretty simple. Just need a 6 inch hole saw, or whatever size the fan is. There is 100 difgerent ways you could build it
Oh, and a barrel…lol

3 Likes

No, comes out thru the fan. Intake is at the bottom. :+1:

1 Like

Ahhh. OK. Seems pretty straight forward. Looks good man!

1 Like

It is. One hole to mount the fan, and punched two on the bottom for intake. Filled it with blue furnace filter and carbon. I originally made it for dust and pollen control.

5 Likes

I really like the idea as I have 3 bought ones going right now. Where is a good value source for the activated charcoal?
I have thought about cleaning and reactivating mine but from what I have read it takes very high heat to accomplish it. :+1::+1:

4 Likes

was that a pickle barrel?

2 Likes

What a beastly scrubber! How much carbon did you have to use?

We need a DIY subforum for stuff like this!

4 Likes

Not a pickle barrel, but any would work. No source yet on bulk carbon, still looking.
We should have a DIY sub forum :+1:
@LemonadeJoe

10 Likes

aquarium filter stuff is about the cheapest I found. Have not tried to source bulk. I have been ruminating a box type to assemble for cabinets that would have a slide out tray and use charcoal loose like that to change out.

2 Likes

Well, i may just try out good ole walmart charcoal and see what that does.

1 Like

I have basically an unlimited supply of those barrels. Not sure what it would cost to ship them, but if your within driving distance you are more than welcome to come pick one up. East coast.
We use them for allot of things, including food storage, fuel storage, etc.

4 Likes

@Who super absorbing polymers is what comes in those.

2 Likes

Great idea! Nothing beats DIY. You can always find a replacement filter. I was thinking of making one out of a 5 gallon bucket, so I can save on space, then put it on a timer so I can set it and forget it. I was gonna put BBQ charcoal crush up in it (the kind without starter fluid in it). Then poly dacron filling sandwiched inside.

2 Likes