First DWC "Cloner" Tips?

Howdy all for a while I’ve been looking at a 9 cloner, EzClone the misting unit and it being $200 rather expensive for a budget grower myself. At a local hardware store today they had a 24 cloner DWC cloner specifically “SuperSprouter Aqua Clone” I’ve never really looked into the DWC Cloner’s but for $130 tax in i went ahead and bought it, very nice, but it is the DWC unit, do they work close to the Mister"s ? I Currently take clones and put them in solo cups with bags over top in each one as i only take a couple clones each time as a low plant count limit. A plant for my sense does not count as a plant until the clone has roots so i think i may take a couple extra clones so i can take the one with the best roots. Any tips? I’ve watched video’s people say just PH the water and put clones in then others do a 1/4 nutrient mix, then others do a nutrient mix & cloning gel. What is the best thing to do ? I understand some trial and error is needed on my part but atleast want to start it in the right direction! I’ve ALWAYS been a soil/soiless medium growing never done anything close to hydro/DWC. Thanks!

1 Like

I have a mister type and I’ve run it with rooting gel, quarter strength nutes, ph’d water and without and I found I didn’t need nutes rooting gel was optional it does help them kick fast imho but if you don’t have it whatever.

1 Like

yeah I’d like to atleast have some nutes in there just to keep them fed, I may try my first run with purely ph’d water and rooting gel, DWC Ph is better at 6.0 ? My soil is usualy .6.2-6.3 i start 6.3 in veg and drop to 6.2 for flower, it’s currently a test have no reason what so ever for dropping it

1 Like

I’ve run water with a ph as high as 7 or higher when I just top it up (my town water has a 8.4ph). I think ph really ins’t as important with these units as the temperature is, mine sits on the floor in the veg tent when in use and rarely see water temps over 70 degrees.

Not being rude but if I was you I’d return it and diy a dwc cloner. It’ll cost all of 50$ tops and you can make it however you want. All you need is a rubbermaid air pump air stones and foam inserts.

4 Likes

I looked at making it but it comes already done and should work, where as making myself eh it’s not too expensive… I got somone paying half to use it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Amazon has a clone king 36 site for a decent price!
$69.99 free shipping

1 Like

I use DWC to clone and veg. Its easy. I’m with @50State on the rooting gel for sure, cuts the rooting time down significantly. Using RO water, I use seedling/new growth strength nutrients and PH’d to 5.7 and my water temp sets at 74f -76f. I use a humidity dome until they stop wilting (couple days). Take off the dome, and some days (maybe weeks, depending on strain) I’ll see good roots forming.

Can be as easy as, stick the cuts in the foam holder and just let them be. But some sort of root gel is a great addition. People say PH doesn’t matter, but I always treat mine to 5.7

3 Likes

i DIY’d a 21 site misting cloner from a 5g bucket for probably under $50. i feel like i’ve heard the DWC style takes a little bit longer, i think it was medgrower1 who said that, he has both kinds.

1 Like

I run exactly how @Roux explained with phenomenal results.

6 Likes

Son… of… a… bitch

3 Likes

I have a mini 12 site closer. I use hydro ton not neoprene.

No pH. No Nutes. No root hormone.

Change water ever week. Bubbles everywhere.

Should be good to go. 14-20 days ish

I ph, b52 vitamin nutes and root hormone, reservoir at 80 deg f. I plant em after 10 days. With the higher Temps I run I have to keep an eye in algea growth, but they root so fast it hasn’t been an issue yet.

2 Likes

Distilled water?
I have to use it.
I have softened well water @ 359 ppm.
Also have Zerowater filter, brings 359 ppm to 0 ppm for about 3 weeks before replacement @ 6 ppm.
That includes household cooking and drinking for $15 @ Walmart.
Not an effective long range solution but it is keeping it real for me during this crazy time.

1 Like

Have to say that looks a lot like one I made and plum forgot about it until I saw this thread. Sorry no pics atm.
I’ve been having to wait 2 months plus to root cuttings for a Zamaldelica grow I’ve been focusing on.
Zam is one tough lady.
Just stuck a branch from a sample harvest into an outdoor pot 2 weeks ago and she’s still green.
Seeing these incredible results has reinvigorated my effort to clone her under a month using mine.
I think though, that I will replace the cover which is made for neoprene plugs.
Smaller like the one here dyi by @Eagles009 :+1:

3 Likes

I use our straight well water no filter of any kind, a little b52 and a little superthrive. 99% success rate, and that 1 % was the temperature in my tent hit 41°C :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Huh.
Now I’ve got even something else to try.
My indoor water also has an in-line chlorinator because of a nasty sulfur/iron reducing bacteria my well unfortunately developed.
90 lb charcoal filter lasts years.
The outdoor water is untreated still I couldn’t use it in a heated bubbler, the smell would knock me out.
But I could still use my indoor water.
Minerals might help.
Good posts, thanks.

2 Likes

That middle pic, just the plugs, yours have a hole in center.
All the crap ones I bought locally don’t.
Had to cut 4 edges off of each for my only time I’ve used the thing, pita.
Color coding sure is handy.

This is what I bought :grin:

2 Likes

You can diy a bubble cloner for like $20-$50. Just need a tote, a holesaw some netcups and an air pump/stone. Ideal Ph in hydro is 5.6-5.8