First Grow, popped in April

Most definitely boy parts. Could be from the stress of grafting, that caused it to express…

1 Like

That would explain why their clone appears to be female.

1 Like

2 Likes

What is this pancake of a Laura clone trying to tell me?

Here she is with her happy clone sister. Same dirt, same sun.

She’s on the left.

1 Like

Poured a first 32oz of Fox Farm Tigerbloom, 1/2 strength into the pot with Laura Bush. Did I tell her story? Gotta look back.

3 Likes

At first she was nobody. I thought for a while she wasn’t going to pop. She did, on a wet towel after two weeks of sighing and a second round of
beans.

I moved her to dirt. Nothing happened for another two weeks. Everyone else was on ones and threes and her dirt was unbroken. I was getting ready to throw the dirt into the slop bag when, digging around, I saw she HAD sprouted. Just hadn’t found her way to the surface. I righted her, tail down, and tucked her in snug.

I called her Runt. She pretty much sat there, fat cotillion leaves and a hint of possible future green. About two weeks later, after I moved her to the yard with the others, she was gone! I figured some bird snacked on her.

I dug around to learn something about her root structure and there she was, hidden under the dirt! Again! I don’t know if some animal buried her or if she was just super shy. She was intact though, so I righted her and renamed her Sprout.

Later when the others got Ora names she changed to Laura, it is short for Little Ora.

It’s my first grow and I haven’t yet decided if, in the future, I’m going to be ruthless with trouble. My goal is to breed backyard landraces; survivers who like my dirt, my weather, my bugs and my style, who thrive on adversity and recover from setbacks. Keeping her alive, however, has so far proven very satisfying. She’s big and bushy as a bush. That’s her name now, Laura Bush.

1 Like

Korin is currently a hazard, both to imagined growers in their neighborhood and to my imagined reputation.

I want to get the two existing grafts (and possibly a third) polinated, let the seeds finish on Korin as a neutered bonsai, one whose only branches are female. Or maybe they can keep two or three legs and promise to keep them shaved. Who am I kidding? I know who is going to be doing the shaving.

They are strong, and have always been healthy, I wonder if I can keep them (good choice in pronouns, Korin!) alive over the winter with the option of clones in spring if anything remarkable materializes.

1 Like

@ChronicMcBudz:

Can you say more about this tec? Does it continue to mature in water? I don’t have lights but there is indoor space. Will the flower be of any use?

1 Like

Current potted clone front-runners. As always Cora (cloned before Korin went alt) is kicking ass.

Clockwise from top left:
Dora (GSCxOaxacan), Cora(ColombianGoldxPanamaRed),
Nora(Jillybean) and Laura(ColombianGoldxPanamaRed).

Also have a very happy Laura in the dirt.

3 Likes

I was just reading this thread a little while ago, just had a chance to comment due to some really hard personal issues though.

As far as the branch in water, I haven’t done it personally, but have seen many here do it. From what I can tell, you cut a branch off that’s got balls and put it in the glass on top of some wax paper or something similar with as little texture as possible to make it easier to gather. The sacks will continue to mature and open up, dropping their pollen. You can just let it drop on it’s own, or tap the branches to release more. Let it dry out, remove any plant material, then store in an air tight container with desiccant and freeze. You can separate it into different containers so you can just pull out what you need and paint it on without risking the viability of the rest of the pollen refreezing. I just saw this in one of the co-OP seed runs I’m pretty sure. I’ll see if I can find a link it to link it.

Is it the whole plant that has gone herm or just the grafted branches? If so, remove all the herm branches and put em in water, the rest of the plant can be grown out as female and you can selectively pollinate. Seeded bud can be smoked the same as any other, as long as the plant being smoked hasn’t been treated with CS or the like (from my understanding, branches that weren’t treated can be smoked from the same plant, but many wont smoke it because of possible overshooting).

3 Likes

Here you go:

2 Likes

Yeah, expression is all over the plant. It is VERY healthy! Sadly, Korin has the biggest, fullest buds in addition to balls.

Sticks in water looks like a good plan. I will suck up the loss of the buds.

The grafts are non-hermed females. I will pollenate from the hermed root-stock.

Sorry to hear you are going through rough times. PM me if you’re near PDX and care to share a bowl.

1 Like

Sounds like a good plan!

I appreciate the offer, but that would be a pretty long ride from Central Florida lol. Everything will settle out with time. I’ve lived my entire life on hard times, so its nothing new, but it’s a lot harder to deal with when it effects your kids. If it was just me n the wife we would just go live in a van down by the river lol.

2 Likes

Looks like a big bug poop. :poop:

Is that the poop of a big bug or the big poop of a bug of indeterminate size?

Ladies night.
Left to right:
Dora (GSCxOaxacan)
Nora (Jillybean)
Laura Bush (ColombianGoldxPanamaRed)

4 Likes

Quintessential question. Small bugs with big appetites are common.

Any subsequent bug damage? Maybe just a passerby.

Funny, these poops always show up on pristine leaves. I haven’t had much bug trouble… Aphids and thrips aside.
If I catch them before the rain a thumb flick on the bottom of the leaf launches them into oblivion.

1 Like

yea, u nailed it. Ive done it a few times. Cut the top 12’ or so, and put into water. The males will continue to mature to the point they will drop pollen. Keep something underneath to catch the pollen and thats about all there is to it.
I just had a Mozambiquian Poison male I just harvested pollen from doing this technique. Its much better than trying to control it outside. Especially if u have neibours that are growing too, as their shit could get pollinated too.
Keep it in a controlled area where it will not contaminate females u dont want pollinated. I keep mine in a spare bedroom window without any drafts, with southern exposure.

As far as going hermie. U can try to remove any male parts on the daily, tho not ideal will keep incidental pollination to a minimum. Not ideal pollen to use for further generations IMO.
Good luck.

3 Likes

Dozens of these in Nora’s soil this morning. What do they want to be when they grow up? Did a soil treatment of Spinosad powder last night and a watering happened this morning. Look like fly maggots to me.

Dandilion for scale.