First indoor grow box build in decades

Last time I built an indoor grow setup was YEARS ago. After seeing my first outdoor plant bud as of right now, and poking around in here, I am HOOKED! This stuff is so much FUN!!! So I made up my mind and despite the wife’s opinion I’m going to build a grow box in the shed since she won’t let me have it in the house​:joy::joy::joy: the funny thing is, she’s the one who smokes not me! I get paranoid every time I do so I just stopped. Yes I hate it cuz I never been like that when I was younger.
Anyways, I’m thinking of a small cabinet set up. I already have a spiderfarmer sf2000 LED light so I’m building to that. Dimensions on this light are 25.5”x10.5”. One spot I’m thinking of putting it is in a corner that’s 33” wide and whatever depth to be chosen. Flush with the counter next to space would put it at 25” deep. Height can go up to 7 feet. Just a basic tall box with a fully opening front side for access. Want to build off the ground to put one vent hole on bottom with ventline to lose the light, and The fan up top somewhere to blow air out through a charcoal filter. I can vent outside if I need to but better to not to save the extra work. Shed gets hot in summertime so I’ll have to figure out how to drop heat some how eventually. Only plan on growing one or two plants in this box, maybe do that SOG technique. Still yet to decide on soil or hydro. I’ve never done hydro before but sure have been wanting to try it! Planning on building cabinet out of plywood and probably 2x2s for inside frame. I’m excited about this and hope to get professional tips here so I do this right! Descrete is important so light leak, smell, Wiring, vent and even overall look of this cabinet are all factors of the design. I’ll post all construction for your fun and mine!

22 Likes

Good start. I’ll be watching this one.

2 Likes

Back then there were no LED and only had HPS and MH and you needed them huge squirrel fans or a direct vent from AC for ventilation! This LED tech is so awesome! I HAD to buy this light! So I don’t even know what other tech there is now, so ANY advice on what to get for this would be appreciated. I was thinking of those 4” computer style fans? And just run a short dryer vent line out behind it. I’ll be looking around here also so I’d love to see any of yalls setups for ideas! Only doing bag seed. I’ve never ordered seeds before. Is it safe to do so in the United States? What’s a good strain for people who get paranoid easy? I’ll try my best to not be a pest here with tons of questions.

2 Likes

@Dalorean Horticulture is a damn fine hobby-

Good luck :+1:

4 Likes

In case you don’t know SOG stands for Sea of Green. That would be many smaller, usually single cola type plants. I don’t think SOG would be your best option in a small area. Check out ScrOG method. Screen of Green. This involves training a plant usually from seed so the plant will be spread out through a screen and have multiple colas and a nice even canopy. Lots of peeps on this site grow this style. Good luck in your endeavor. :smile:

6 Likes

Use an intake fan and an outlet fan make and sure you are light tight, cover over intake and use foil style outlet hose, or metal style pipe. Little computer fans may be enough for that space depending on heat etc.

2 Likes

Here’s where it’s going. Either the left or the right side of the counter there. Right side is closer to the power supply but the left side has one more inch of space. The other picture is the back of the shed where it will be vented directly outside if that is a better option to go with. Either that or just run a vent outward behind the cabinet with a filter but I don’t know how big filters are and don’t want a big gap behind the cabinet. I would like it up against the wall as close as possible. Bought the wood today!! Still need to order fans and a filter And get some duct hose. Anything else I’ll need? I’m not a pro with the electrical part so I’m just running a heavy gauge extension cord or two for power.

7 Likes

Rolling up a joint and following!

2 Likes

Welcome back!!! I would suggest focusing 100% on dialing in your environment before anything else.
You will have a battle ahead of you in terms of heat in that shed come summertime like you pointed out.
Start looking for an AC now.

3 Likes

Just wondering, but why don’t you move the counter and cupboards one way or the other? It would give you more space to work with.

2 Likes

I ordered 2 4” 120v square fans(computer?) 97cu.ft/min. Hopefully those do the trick!

1 Like

Going to do a good clean up and so this the best I can! I do have a wall AC unit ready to go when the time is right and am running a hose from bottom intake to have ready for options! I remember seeing an intake connected to a styrofoam cooler with ice water to pull colder air in. It’s an option I reckon. That or get the air to come directly from the wall unit somehow? Duct tape and trash bags right :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

I looked into it, it’s anchored pretty good to the wall, looks like back frame was anchored to the wall then the rest was built to it, it’s pretty secured down. But then my OCD will kick in then I’d have to move the cupboard up above it to center it just right😂 I think I’ll be alright with it there, I’m happy with the small grow cabinet to the side. Maybe I’ll build a second one on the other side down the road for clones or starts if I get good at this. I like your thinking though, looking outside the box. I’ll look at it better when I start cleaning.

2 Likes

I agree move the cabinet and bench to one side or the other
:sunglasses:

3 Likes

Unless you have or can get all your lumber cheap or free, maybe just go with a good tent. AC infinity tents cant be beat in my opinion. I have used them all. For 100 bucks you would be set up in 30 minutes. You also have the flexibility of breaking it down and moving it wherever should that need arise.
If you decide to go bigger and blow up the whole inside of the building, you can sell the tent and recoup most of the investment.

Doc

5 Likes

Good call @SubSoilSelections
I was gonna caution him against using plywood or particle board, which despite all the paint I sealed it with, blame for losing a grow to botrytis.

You can getter better air movement if you use a static pressure fan rather than any old case fan but my first cab had a $3 microcenter fan and ran for 5 yrs nearly on the whole time.

I just setup my infinity tent. Love it.

1 Like

Built a couple box in my garage. Have a 8x8 and 4x6ish…

3 Likes

I actually already have a grow tent. It’s a 4x4. I like it but it’s a bit big for what my use is. I’m building the cab for a multi function. Storage cab when not growing, and I’m aiming for stealth. This will look like a normal storage cabinet in a workshop. And the main reason, because I’m so stoked to build one!!! It brings me back to my youthful days when I dreamed of that one day I could actually do it!

1 Like

Here is my box.

7 Likes