First time doing rapid rooters, and I may have done something wrong

I was giving rapid rooters a shot after rockwool for a long time, and everyone I talked to on here, in person, or directions. Said to just spray the rapid rooters to get them a little wet. I felt like they were a bit dry when I opened them but I sprayed them nervously not wanting to get them too wet and this is 2 days later, droopy, the rooters seem a bit dry and this lid doesn’t seal perfectly on this tray. I sprayed the rooters extra today but if it seems like this again tomorrow should I water the rapid rooters? Really seemed like they were too dry looking st some of the clones in here or feeling the rapid rooters

5 Likes

Forgot To add this pic to it, I mean hey they ain’t dead,dry, and crispy yet so they can still do it!!

3 Likes

I soak them and then squeeze them out in my hand. Throw them in a tray with a dome on top and they should be good for at least a few days. Spray them or drop some water in the bottom of the tray if you’re worried they’re too dry. Best of luck!

6 Likes

I just switched to rapid rooters from the root riot cubes, I treated the them same, and had no issue with my first clone.

I dip in clonex, put it in the cube, and let it ride in a cup with a dome.

As long as the leaves don’t crumble, keep giving them a spritz, maybe add a dome to keep in humidity.

4 Likes

Ah ok Ill soak and squeeze on the next one, thank you!

2 Likes

why the squeeze? squeezing out those good nutes.

I have a dome on them usually, I took it off for the picture. I used clonex as well, did you just spray the rapid rooters a little or did you soak them at all?

1 Like

I think I sprayed them once, they came out the bag a little dryer than the root riots normally do.

1 Like

So they’re not soaking wet and you don’t have to wait for ever to root cuts or lose some to stem rot. Whatever you soak them in still stays in them if you feel clones need nutes to root. You’re not squeezing them bone dry in your hand.

2 Likes

Ok cool thank you. I feel like I might’ve not wet them enough initially.

2 Likes

I’d water the cubes a bit or fill the base and try and seal it up, definitely not getting enough moisture, watering the rooters will really only help at this point imo as it’s still super early .

4 Likes

Greetings @Weedison,

I think your problem is technique rather than the rooter cubes, please don’t take offense. Here are a couple of tips you might find useful.

• Mist the dome, not the plants. You want high humidity, not liquid water on your cuts.

• Water from the bottom to draw the roots downward. Make sure you push your rooters all the way down in the holder tray so the bottom can touch the water. Add just enough water to coat the bottom of the tray. Allow the top of the rooters to dry out.

• Your cuts have way more foliage than necessary, you want roots, not leaves.

• Check out this step-by-step tutorial for one proven method. They use Jiffy’s but the process is the same.

Honestly hope this helps, I can feel your frustration.
-Grouchy :v: :green_heart:

7 Likes

Thank you! If I was gonna take anything offensive I wouldn’t have posted the pic of those sad ladies lol. I’ve used rockwool for 7 years then all the sudden had problems so I’ve tried these. I will check out the link and take those tips in! I did however wet those rapid rooters,just a bit, this morning like some suggested because they did seem very much too dry as I felt and squeezed any. But let’s hope with all this help my next batch of clones goes nice and smooth!

3 Likes

Wet them a bit this morning and I think they’re starting to look a bit better already

1 Like

I’m a bit more brutal. I don’t spray. I just get the filtered tap water and pour a bit on them. They don’t get over over wet that easily. Your tray lets them drain. If you think it’s dry. Give it a drink.

2 Likes

Awesome! Glad to hear it, was definitely the issue , only thing too wet will do is slow em up a touch on root development cuz they don’t have to “reach “ for Fertigation but much better than slow death by starvation :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: keep up the good work my friend :facepunch:t2:

3 Likes

Designed to hold right amount of water . Dip in water , let soak 5 minutes , pull out , tiny squeeze , ready to use . Stay wet 3 or 4,days under good dome

7 Likes

Soak and light squeeze

I place mine in a solo cup filled 1/2 way with dirt
Then comer with baggy

Good luck

You can do it
Paps

7 Likes

Yeah I also switched from Rockwood to Rapid Rooters and I loved them! I looked on Google and a site said to soak for 6 hrs in phd water with a very small amount of nutes, then shake a little off and good to go. I had a problem with the taproots not being able to permeate and take hold in the rooters, so every time after I took a pin and pierced holes into them and it worked well. This last time I tried just some Coco coir in small fabric bags and got just as good results.

2 Likes

I use a chopstick and just stab down into it. For seeds too if I get squirrely and use 'em. Probably don’t need that kinda soak as some 2 cents to toss in. Sounds more like a rockwool soak you’re doing. You shouldn’t need any nutes either or pre-soak in microbes. I’ve read the same when I started from some sources with the presoak.

2 Likes