First time in soil with plants moving from inside to outside, need some guidance

Hello OG. So I have a plan, well really more of a goal and am hoping to get some guidance. I want to grow 4 plants, autos, outside my cottage this year. We sometimes get clipped with early frost here so I want to do auto’s and start them early so I can harvest mid to late summer.

The ground I have picked for this is pretty fertile and used to have a large garden on it but have not been using if for years. I would like to start the 4 autos inside and drop them in the ground on the May 24 long weekend. I don’t know if they will survive as I won’t be there to take care of them regularly. Heck the deer might just eat them, we get many on the property.

I suppose the first question would be what soil would I use for this? I grow in coco and have never used soil.

What issues do you think I may run into?

Thanks for any tips you can give.

5 Likes

I’d stick with photos that finish early and ignore the frost warnings. Mine live through a few frosts each year and I just grow whatever. If you pick 8 week strains or better. I wouldn’t even think twice about it.

3 Likes

Autos are just so damn finicky. I never have done good in the ground from an auto. Even when I took care of it.

It can be done. But pick a long finishing Auto. All my 8-10 weekers sucked.

3 Likes

I too want to grow some autos outdoors this year. I’ve never grown them so I’m going to listen in :grinning:

2 Likes

Oh and make sure for where your located you don’t pick anything that grows too dense of buds. Avoid the cookies etc. With our humidity it can be a problem.

1 Like

Grow them in pots and you should do great. Best time for autos I was told by Simon him self and Renee from serious seeds that the best time to do autos is early in spring as early as you can vs later jn the summer. Something to do with how the sun is in the sky. We were in Toronto when they told me this. So it should be damn relevant to us Canadians.

3 Likes

So here’s the thing. I started with auto’s, accumulated a number of seeds and than got stung by an auto that did not flip. Messed up my whole indoor grow so I decided that this is what I would use these auto seeds for. Got to grow them at some point, I paid for most of them and they are just sitting now.
As for humidity I hear you. These will be up north of Bancroft. It’s either blazing hot or pouring rain. No way to predict. Last year was great and than when I took my wife up for the first week of September there was only 1 day out of 9 it did not piss down rain all day and got very cold. That’s why I want them done by mid Aug.
I don’t know if this will work but I want to give it a shot anyway. I will likely come back to find them dead at some point but them seeds ain’t helping anyone sitting in the fridge :slight_smile:
I got faith in what you are telling me bud, you are not that far from this area so way more experienced than I. Hell I might even toss a photo out with 3 auto’s and see what happens. Couldn’t hurt.

3 Likes

How big a pot?

1 Like

Growing them in pots would be an issue with nobody there to tend them wouldn’t it? That’s why I wanted to go into the ground and let nature do it’s thig. I may just be crazy though.

I started Reikos FAM giveaway seeds in solo cups. After a few weeks I transplanted them outside to raised beds. I got 2.5 foot tall plants and really good smoke. You can set up a cheap drip line also with timer so you don’t even have to be there to water. I posted picks of it in my old thread.

3 Likes

Nice, do you have a link?

1 Like
2 Likes

Thanks very much, heading over to give it a read.

Depends on the auto. I’ve been using 2 - 3 gallon for 8 - 9 weekers. And 3-5 for the ones over 10.

2 Likes

No matter what you do I’ll be along for the ride brother. For all we know the genetics you have could do amazing in the conditions you provide them. Putting in a photo as well would be a good way to cover your bet though. I have a few extra fem serious 6 from serious seeds. Done by September 21ish. Read about it and if you want some just let me know.

3 Likes

I’m gonna be watching along as well as I have not had that great of luck outdoors with unpredictable early snowfalls and sorts. Also thinking if doing autos this year as well but May 1 might be a bit early here. Will see. I do plan on using net pots and found that they will get some moisture from the ground up but you would still need some type of watering solution if you went that way.

5 Likes

you folks want to make the nicest possible amended hole, easiest for roots to grow through, deep as possible, but not heavily fertilized, and transplant ASAfP when you have seedlings in solo-cups-- they hate root stress & high-feed.

And deer. Make protective barriers. And venison chili. :bowl_with_spoon:

There’s some stuff called ‘soil-moist’ than can hold water but I won’t speak to it’s chemistry. :man_shrugging:

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

:point_up: what he said. Nice big holes. Loose breathable soil.
Also if you can find it, copper tape amd some strong fishing line.
Wrap the bottoms of your plants withthe tape around the stalks. This will prevent slugs from climbing up and eating your crop. A buried to the rim cup of beer will work too…if you want to waste it. They are atracted to the beer and fall in the cup and drown.

The fishing line is used to make a 3 level fence.
One low, one knee area, one neck area. The deer wil bump into it and cant see what it is. If you got strong stuff and they dont breal it, it freaks them out and they go the other way. Just be sure to take it back with you out of the woods when you harvest.

For the holes, I would fill the bottom half or 3/4 full with a bloom nutrient rich soil. The top I would use just use regular gardning soil that has a good NPK. When the roots reach the bottom soils they should be stretching during flower and they will thank you for the higher bloom nutrients they reach with big, shinny, buds.

1 Like

For the soil moist water holding stuff, you can findit in baby diapers if you want. Just cut some open and you will get all these little clear beads. They are used to soak up water. Ive seen people adding these beads to their soils, but I have never. Nor do I know if it works as Ive been told.

1 Like

I’m going to listen in

2 Likes