Flex Seal and Volatile Organic Compounds?

Hey everyone, I wanted to water proof my grow box, preserve the materials to prevent warping of any type. I was advised to use Flex Seal (As seen on TV) but I am concerned about potentially killing my plants from any off-gassing this product may create.

I recall back when grow tents were becoming popular, I remember reading of growers reporting their plants were dropping like flies due to inferior plastics used in the first generation grow tents, by a scrupulous manufacturer.

Can anyone here lend some insight about this product, their thoughts and any input pertaining to off-gassing VOC’s that could be potentially fatal to my plants.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

5 Likes

I’ll tag along. I was curious as well. Was thinking of using it to light proof my dwc tub lids.

2 Likes

Yeah, good idea. I’m not sure I would trust it. There are lots of solutions out there, surely.

1 Like

I work in the home repair industry. We regularly recommend this to people as a cheap DIY method to seal water tanks, well leaks and other small plumbing leaks when they can’t afford to make the actual repairs. If it’s safe to use like this for drinking water I would assume it presents a minimal threat to plants. Also this stuff completely dries and cures after 3 days max in my personal experience (have used to seal gutter leaks) so any gassing off would be extremely minimal after this point.

2 Likes

I do know growers who have used this to seal cracks in reservoirs in a pinch

2 Likes