Former Phylos Bioscience Employee Sheds Light on Breeding Controversy

Here’s some new information about phylos. New to me anyway. Figured I would share

21 Likes

![Screenshot_20210906-140138_Chrome|230x500](upload://g5T6Cn9XZMEmuCoXslZzpqwx6I7.
Like many of us conspiracy theorists imagined, except worse. Phuck Phylos!
Not sure I can handle reading anymore of the article. Its painful

20 Likes

The arrogance of believing they can own cannabis breeding and hold everyone hostage. I hate this mentality.

12 Likes

The community really needs to fight back on this one, but what could we possibly do? Participate in online forums? Exchange seeds and breeding material? Overgrow the world?

I’m all out of ideas.

29 Likes

The issue is government not regulating monopolies. This is phylos admitting they are purely designed to be so. Its inherently toxic, like a virus. It needs to be dealt with by societal rules that are enforced. This is just everyone wanting to be standard oil.

10 Likes

Not really surprising.

You could argue that cheap swill beer made beer better by giving rise to micro craft brewers doing great work. So let them do their thing.

“We hate Monsanto, really, we’re nothing like Monsanto. Really, it’s true you should believe us.”

“I can’t breed on my own” fuck you though.

15 Likes

Cant breeders use patent law to protect their creations? If Monsanto can do that with corn, soybeans and cotton hybrids why not everybody else?

2 Likes

This is done only after gene editing I believe. I suspect cannabis users would be skeptical.

Plus screw patents. the enforcement of such an idea is a nightmare in itself.

8 Likes

I think the main issue is the bottomless pockets corporate has. They will just patent every combination they can come up with. Makes me want to hold on real tight to my own heirloom, I can tell you that. I was just getting comfortable with the idea of sharing.

15 Likes

This probably won’t change things very much for the home grower, but for the aspiring professional grower this could mean big trouble.
Imagine planning to sell your own varieties that you have grown only to find out that they are related in some manner 2 something this company has patented. In the future this could mean that only varieties that these guys make would be available to cultivators. Can’t say for sure, but this is a big fear of mine. Variety is the spice of life. These guys want all the spices

15 Likes

Those pockets hopefully dry up when the markets get worse. There is currently a glut and wholesale prices here are down to like $800 a pound. $100 retail ounces are available almost everywhere.

But I’m biased. I don’t really care if every dispensary is only allowed to sell cookie strainX. I’m not going to buy it. If some people want it, that’s fine. Nothing wrong with a miller light by a pool on a hot summers day.

9 Likes

Yes I agree 100% these guys are in harms way. Looks like it’s time for me to become a seed breeder.

9 Likes

Missouri has shown the way forward for legal markets. Make legalized monopiles, limit the number of grower and distributors to keep prices as high as they can be sustained. Low end cannabis is 40 an 1/8th high end is 60-75 an 1/8th and carts are 70-90 for a a half gram

3 Likes

Yes that’s a point. But somehow I think with artificially high prices the black market will capture a significant amount of their business. Anyone who smokes on the regular won’t be paying $10 a gram I can tell you that.

If I didn’t grow I’d still be buying on the black market. It seems like prices have even come down on the OCS (Ontario government dope) but I don’t really keep track.

Anyway, my personal move here is to give free seeds and free mentor ship to anyone I know IRL. And I give away weed to those in need if I like you.

Spread the love and knowledge people.

Edit - $75 an 1/8 made me laugh out loud

14 Likes

Monsanto patented their genetic manipulation, not the breeding. They used altered genes to get Roundup Ready corn and soybeans. I don’t know about you, but I wouldn’t touch GMO Cannabis if you paid me 7 figures.

10 Likes

I dont even touch dispensary cannabis.

13 Likes

“All the cannabis that’s around now will be replaced”

:thinking: but how will they know what I like?

Dispensaries certainly aren’t doing a good job of figuring that out. Good try phylos, but here’s something to think about –

:fu: :laughing: :fu:

20 Likes

So in their own words the one thing that would make their life nvestment worthless is if all of us growers just sent our genetic material to every lab that wants it allowing all the labs access to all the same data Phylos has, thus making their primary tool worthless to big ag.

Why buy something for billions when there are 10 other labs that are willing to undercut them for the same data.

We need to find every other company working on the cannabis genome and we all need to overwhelm them with genetic material…

We can turn what they consider to be super valuable into something that is worth less than what they have already invested into acquiring in the first place.

14 Likes

They apparently don’t understand the amount of IT people that enjoy herb and growing it.

Saying no one else can get their data-set sounds like a challenge :joy:

Thanks for posting!

18 Likes

Phylos is likely hoping that people will be less willing to send genetic samples to other companies after Phylos turned out to be such scum bags.

4 Likes