fr0g_D's Grow Diary - Brian Berry Mountain Menthol, Sweet Tooth #4

No really, I haven’t forgotten about you folks, I really am growing some the last few weeks just with heavy doses of LITFA is all. :wink: Thing is, I get easily distracted when something goes out of whack like when the frame of that new light just wouldn’t fit. So, I have been giving some CalMag at 4ml/gal and the spots that I had on the one leaf don’t seem to be spreading which is good but the stems are still very purple. I called SoHum yesterday to see what my options are, if it was just me growing with it, I’d just figure it out and probably now buy it again based on principle, but I run a grow shop and I have sold multiple pallets of the stuff and now my customers are starting to see the same issue so I’ve got to come up with a remedy. The good news is I am in contact with SoHum and they are most definitely helping me try to figure it out. They’ve asked for the ph of the soil and I’m not sure how to get that info for them. I have litmus paper as well as a GH ph test kit. I’m going to go google it now but if you guys have any input I’m all ears.

Anyway, geez, I know I’m long winded, sorry about it. Here are the ladies, I still haven’t flipped them 12/12 but I am bound and determined to do it this Sunday, I have a simple fix for the light situation, so they are headed for flower in the bigger test with the new light and I will post an update as soon as that happens.

Thanks for checkin’ it out and remember, ya’ll be good to one another.

fr0g_D

9 Likes

Why won’t the light fit? Isn’t it the 3x3 frame in a 4x4 tent?

9$ on amazon for soil ph testers.

1 Like

@DavesNotHere It was a 3’x3’ kit on a 4’x4’ substrate the substrate measures 40"x41" which would have been fine had the tent been the dimensions it was advertised to be, instead it’s like 38"x37" or some such shit.

@V4vendetta Are you talking about the probes? I have one of those I just never really thought it was all that accurate.

1 Like

Better then nothing. Cheap enough to buy three. And average out your results.

1 Like

Welp, I got the light modded and hung in the tent today. I also got my board hung on the wall in an effort to curtail the snarl of wires and sensors. I know it’s got a ways to go before it’s finally finished but it’s done enough to get them flipped to 12/12 and that was my mission for the day.

After I got everything installed and to a “good enough” state I trimmed some of the suckers and lower fans off of both of the girls and got them in there. The outside temps got a tad bit high today but they are supposed to drop back off to normal in a couple days. The cO2 sensor has not been calibrated as of yet so that’s a thing too.

I also have an update on the CalMag deficiency. I have brought it up with the folks at SoHum and they are shipping me a load of foliar spray and not just enough for me but all of my customers who have purchased their soil from my shop. Now, that’s customer service.

Ya’ll be good to one another and we’ll talk soon.

fr0g_D

12 Likes

I like those bags. Do you? @riahgorl_1?

:cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

Hell yeah man, they’re Radicle Bags and I have to say they are pretty radical. :wink:

5 Likes

Hey ya’ll, it’s a good new, bad news type of a day. The girls are happily showing me their lady parts and they look good.

The bad news, I found some creepy crawlies, I initially found them day before yesterday on a clone that a friend gave me. I know, I know, but I did everything right at least as far as I know, I quarantined them and everything. I am going to assume they are spider mites but I don’t know for sure. They appeared as little tiny red specs that were in the creases of the leaves. The quarantine area is in my bathroom and my current grow tent is in my bedroom but I’m sure I am the vector that brought them home to Number One and Number Two. I don’t see any visible damage from them yet so I dosed them with this stuff because it is what I carry in my shop for my customers to use. I know from reading in the past about other folks’ issues with these fuckin’ critters that it is most likely going to be a maintenance thing for the rest of this grow and then clean clean clean clean. Sorry but this is the first time I am dealing with this type of an issue, been growing since 1998 and one time I take in a clone and this shit happens, I’m bummed. Where do you guys get your beneficial bugs, maybe I could give that a go?

You all be nice to one another,

fr0g_D

8 Likes

Hey folks,

Sorry I have not updated this in a minute. Life’s been crazy, I’ve been super busy and while the GG4 row has not been updated here it’s been going well. The girls are just about ready to chop and as soon as they dry out a bit that is exactly what I plan to do. Next run I plan to do a better job of keeping track and you guys up to date.

11 Likes

Killer! Love the colours. Hows it going with the pest situation?

3 Likes

Thanks for the reminder, I forgot to mention that in my post. That Zero Tolerance that I posted above did a trick on the thrips. It called for 3 applications 3 days apart but I went ahead and did 4 treatments, I never saw a thing after the second treatment. I can still see some of the damage on some of the older fans, it really shows up after the color change. If I think about it tomorrow when the lights are on I will take a pic of exactly what I am talking about.

Here is whats up next, I got the clones from a friend.

This plate is clones I got from a friend there are 3 - Blue Jill and 2 - Ripped Buddah.

This plate is clones I got from a friend there are 3 - Super Silver Haze and 2 - bagseed that I got from my son in law who I refer to as Martha.

That big pot is an attempt to keep a pheno of Frost Boss by Homegrown Natural Wonders. I’ve been running it for a while now luckily I shared some clones with friends and as fate would have it I ended up losing my mother so one of my compadres was kind enough to leave me some stem stickin up after their harvest so I can try to preserve it.

Man I love Overgrow, you guys are the shit I don’t care what they say about ya!

fr0g_D

9 Likes

Well, this happened yesterday. Wowsers this girl was gassy when we did a little fan yanking.

12 Likes

Alright folks don’t touch that dial. I’m back with a whole new line up in the tent.

Way back in about 1998 or so one of my first grows was some bagseed from some pretty good mexi-brick. When I grew it out it ended up being a short bushy dark green indica that tasted just like Vicks Mentholatum so we dubbed it Mentholatum. It was akin to smoking a Kool that would get you really baked so I’ve been looking for a “Menthol” varietal ever since. I saw this listing on MzJill’s Strainly a while back and had to jump.

Brian Berry Mountain Menthol is described like this.

StarDawg x Brian Berry Surprise

Sativa 75/25

Flower Cycle: 56-63 days

Smell- Very light earthy and gassy.

Flavor- Minty Eucalyptus.

Appearance- Medium plant, light green in color with a low leaf to bud ratio. Heavy bulbous grenade-like buds, with many buds per stem, causing the need for scrogging, staking or caging.

Effects- It has a very sedative effect and it is great for pain and increasing appetite.

Also, back in the old days I wanted to try the infamous Sweet Tooth #3, it was all over the place on OG so it was for sure on the short list but I never could afford the price of admission. Now from the things I’ve read I have the next best thing and I couldn’t be more excited.

Sweet Tooth #4 is described like this.

This is a limited backcross release of the famed and now abandoned line of potent, fruity indicas that Spice of Life’s Breeder Steve worked for nearly a decade from the late 90’s to 2005. Known for massive fist-sized buds thickly encrusted with trichomes, Sweet Tooth almost single-handedly jump started the ice hash movement in the 1990’s. It remains one of the best yielding strains for hash making around.

Sativa/Indica mix: 20/80

Indoor maturation period: 8-9 weeks

May 25th I started 4 each of these two strains and I ended up with 3 each popping. One of the BBMM is a freak, I don’t think it’s trifoliate but sure isn’t normal. Otherwise everything seems to be chugging right along. I potted them up into 1 gallon Radicle bags with straight coco and I started feeding them a half strength Cogo’s nutrient mixture about a week ago. It’s been a while since I ran straight coco so this is liable to get real interesting but I wanted to give the Cogo’s and run and that seemed like the best way to really see what it is capable of producing. Anyhow, tonight I went ahead and topped them to get started on the training to afford me some earlier chances at taking clones.

I’m going to try real hard to keep up with this grow better than I did the last one as far as Overgrow goes. That last run with the gg4 was a blast and it was some of the finest cannabis I’ve ever grown but I failed you guys and gals. The thing is, I just feel like it’s time to give back to the community but the last go round didn’t work out that way. Anyway I plan to do better.

I have a couple of “experiments” going as well. I’m trying my hand at some outdoor this year and I’m attempting to get some clones of my Lost In The Woods Cross. I’m probably not going to update on these regularly but they’ll likely make an appearance.

Group Shot

Growella’s Gas - Autos, I honestly don’t expect much at this point.

Blue Jill - Unknown breeder, no further info I was gifted this clone.

SSH - Got this one from the friend from above.

Ripped Buddah - Same friend gifted this one as well.

These are the Lost In The Woods clones taken day 21 of flower. These were bred by me about 13 years ago it’s a cross of BOG’s Lifesaver (grape) X Jack’s Cleaner. If one of these will take that’ll be great otherwise he had a mess of seed so more will be popped soon.

12 Likes

I just said I wasn’t going to update on the outdoor and other experiments. Grrrrr.

Anyhow I went out to check on them this evening and look at this, it’s my ripped Buddah, the best looking one of the bunch and my personal favorite. I see the leaf is chewed a bit so I’m hoping it’s just frass but it looks a whole lot like pics of bud rot that I’ve seen. What say you guys?

Ripped Buddah

Frass or bud rot, what say you guys?

6 Likes

I have no clue what that is lol. Sure doesn’t look like bud rot to me though, but I haven’t encountered it much.

Everything’s looking good, I really want to see how that sweet tooth comes out!

3 Likes

I’m excited for that sweet tooth as well. I plan to keep a momma if I get a winner.

3 Likes

My guess eggs of some type of bug ! I’d clean the shit out of it !

5 Likes

I bet you are liking them CXB3590s. I still find its best to colour correct mine when i can be bothered,
Mine are 3500k and my phone will only correct to 4000 but that’s close enough for me.
Subscribed…

5 Likes

Ok either bugs or poo, I’m not sure, didn’t get any definitive answer so I mixed up a fresh batch of Zero Tolerance and blasted whatever it was out of my Ripped Buddah girl. I also prayed the rest of the ladies from top to bottom. Thanks for the advice ya’ll!

@Pedro_Bann I love those cobs man, they are quite a step up from the ViparSpectra.

6 Likes