Frankie’s Daughters: Unpacking a Frozen Genome

To explain the title and highlight a new and interesting OG event, I’d like to dedicate this thread to the Feminized Frankenstein seeds that have arrived already and those that will soon arrive in droves for OGers to enjoy.

I believe that I created the first batch of these “Daughters,” but hopefully I’m just the first of many. There should soon be several sources of Feminized Frankenstein seeds available and everyone interested will have a chance to experience this legendary strain grown from feminized seed.

My personal goal was to put what I have learned about breeding into practice towards exploring the underlying phenotypes that have been locked up in a series of cloned Frankenstein mother plants for several decades.

For all intents and purposes, the Frankie clones that have recently been released onto OG are virtually identical sisters from the original Frankie Mother plant bred by @JohnnyPotseed decades ago. Literally branches from the same Mother Tree reproduced asexually with little if any genetic drift.

The “selfing” process of reversing one of the “Sister” clones and pollinating another Sis is very different. Sexual reproduction of seeds allows this plant to express genetic variations for the first time in a very long time. I expected that process to reveal some unusual and interesting phenotypic variations.

I’d like to offer a hat tip to Frankenstein’s creator and the other OG expert growers who are in the process of creating more feminized Frankenstein seeds to share around OG. Everybody should have a little Monster in their jars!

To begin, I’ll offer up here what we’ve already learned as the Frankie Genome begins to tell its story. I’ll start with the most intriguing surprise so far in growing out the first batch of Feminized Frankenstein S1 seeds.

A few friends and I have germinated the first dozen of these seeds already and right off the bat, our hopes to see some phenotypic variation were answered.

The pics pictures below show two very different cannabis plants emerging from my S1 seeds. Different as night and day, but out of four seeds, I got two of each!

Fat Man
The first phenotype we found is lime green with smooth wide leaves, Indica trending. If you look closely you can see some quirky branching, but she is robust and hearty. After hitting the octo reservoir last week she is “growing like a weed.”

As a seedling Fat Man had some abnormal growth but that has evened out in maturity.

Here’s the second Fat Man seedling, newly into octo and before her roots hit the reservoir. Foliar SuperThrive to keep her happy as her roots dig deep.

Little Boy
The second phenotype is a whole other story. She is a week younger, still tiny with skinny dark green wrinkle leaves. She looks very unhealthy in the pic, but that’s just how she grows. Her roots hit the reservoir yesterday so we’ll soon see what she’s really packing.

The young leaves turn from yellow to dark green as they unfurl and begin to wrinkle. Interestingly, I found a posting on another site noting a “Wrinkly Leaf” variation in the G13 strain. As Frankenstein’s creator tells us, G13 is one of the strains in this genetic mix. Perhaps that is what’s showing up here?

Here’s the youngest Little Boy plant, enjoying her dixie cup mix of Happy Frog and a tablespoon of worm castings. The damaged leaf is my bad. The crinkle leaf expression can already be seen.

The Two Faces of Frankenstein
So, here is something none of us knew before: Two sisters, the estimable Dr. Frankenstein in her lab coat, and her twisted freaky sister scowling at the LED sunshine.

I apologize for anthropomorphizing, but I can’t help but wonder if these plants are “surprised” at being alive again?

We can only wonder at this point whether either of these, or both, will have the famous Frankenstein chems. Stay tuned, or grab some of these beans and see for yourself!

So that’s the story I intend to document here and if you’re curious I invite you to ride along. We’ll cover the backstory, recent developments and breeding plans for the future.

Respectfully Submitted,
-Grouchy :v: :green_heart:

My Frankie Family, including two bonsai moms for potential future breeding.

@Papalag @MoBilly

70 Likes

AMAZING @GrouchyOldMan !!!

:hugs:

7 Likes

Thanks for the tag @GrouchyOldMan wow

The fat man leaf shape comparison is so different from the mom

I’m here for the show popcorn in hand and joint rolled sitting on The couch in the corner

6 Likes

Stoner threads are brutal. Nice looking plants and all that great stuff but , No clue about this strain or whatever it is created with. I do not read minds well and it’s bringing me into the story in the middle. What is so legendary about this plant?

3 Likes

Hi Paps, The cool part is that the “Mom” plant, being a clone has all those quirky clone characteristics, odd branching etc. These frankie seeds are expressing versions of the plant as grown from seeds, i.e. “Normal” rather than clones.

I expected that variation but had no idea we see two phenos so completely different!

5 Likes

Hi @SkunkHunt101,
Yeah, I get that, Frankenstein is sort of an OG phenomenon and you can use the search tool to find more info, but here’s what the creator, @JohnnyPotseed says about the making of this strain. I’d refer you to him for more info and availability.

" ALL seeds were bought in 1998
white russian…19-25% 50/50
sour diesel…17-23% 50/50
the pure(skunk#1)…15-19% 65/35 indica dom
blueberry…16-24% 80/20 indica dom
white rhino…14-20% 100% indica
hawaiian snow…18-24% 100% sativa
G13…22-24% 70/30 indica

crossed back with;
White Russian BX1
sour diesel BX1
then added Maui wowie…20-28% 80/20 indica

Frankenkstein - 60% Sativa/40% Indica
avg low THC 17%
avg high THC 24%
avg 60% indica 40% sativa
avg CBD - 1.6%
avg cbn - .05%

total of 3 & 1/2 yrs to blend and stabilize. I’ve ran her on clones only for the past 20+ years"

================

It’s been smoked on a daily basis for over 20 yrs by all our family and friends. It always performs, no matter what you need it to do or for what reason/need. You NEVER become immune or inured to it. Like when you smoke the same thing for a couple of days and then you are like ‘meh’ ,not gonna happen with Frankenstein!

=================

I let the mother go about 5-7 yrs. So the mothers I have at the moment are the 3rd-4th gen of clones. when its given me a lot of babies over the years and finally gets ‘tired’, i retire it to the budroom for one more gift to me lol … flower/bud to smoke. I then pick the best of the clones on hand as my new mothers.

I always run at least 2 mothers and have had as many as 7 mothers, when I was selling to the dispos as a commercial grower.

28 Likes

Looks like @JohnnyPotseed spent a ton of time creating this strain. Some great strains in there.

11 Likes

post removed, error corrected

5 Likes

3 Likes

Incredible work @GrouchyOldMan I’ve been fascinated by Johnny’s long romance with Frankie, great to see someone locking down the cut in seed form for the ages, long live Frankie and JP!

5 Likes

6 Likes

5 Likes

So @GrouchyOldMan then the cut I got from @Nagel420 is Frankenstein not Frankie’s bride

5 Likes

They are Frankenstein cuz

4 Likes

Thanks I estimated there was more people who did not know that plant besides myself when I made the comment. Thanks for the cool info as well. Was not intending to sound like a jerk.

9 Likes

Thanks Johnny p :1st_place_medal:

3 Likes

Apology accepted JP.

Pls let us know if you can shed any light on the phenotype variations I’ve seen. I suspect they will show up as additional Feminized Frankenstein seeds are grown out.

-Grouchy

9 Likes

Anything grown from 1st gen seeds can and do show a lot of different pheno types. Take Apples or grapes, the ones you buy in the grocery stores, for instance. They’re grown from cuttings grown or grafted onto other trees. The seeds taken from them will hardly ever be like what they came from. The specific ‘strain’ sold is bred to be the type sold. Hope I’m not confusing anyone here. lol
In this instance, the first seeds can possibly show various phenos of all the different strains used in the breeding program. It’s up to the individual who grows them to separate the phenos desired, and discard the ones not wanted.
I personally would grow them all out, take clones, then separate the ones I didn’t like or want. Keeping only the ones that were the closest to the original desired.
It’s a process that’s not hard, just takes time.

This process can be redone many times, reversing one of each crop to continue the ‘smoothing out’ process, until you get seeds of only the desired strain/pheno.

25 Likes

Thanks @JohnnyPotseed, for your breeding comments and suggestions.

I’m glad that you were able to confirm the provenance of my seeds after reviewing your records. You had me bigly worried for a moment there. I’ll be removing the posts above referencing that case of mistaken identity to avoid any confusion.

I hope you will continue watching the progress here, there is much more to come. As a matter of fact, I am reversing another Frankie mom right now and should have more Feminized Frankenstein pollen by New Years.

Merry Christmas to you and Rose,
-Grouchy

15 Likes

Always willing to help when I can, and yes, I have this set to ‘watching’

9 Likes