Fridge vs Freezer for Seed storage

I’ve been reading a few of the already asked seed storage questions and I think my biggest one at this point is it worth putting them in the freezer if you plan on using them in the next few years or just store them in the fridge as they’ll stay viable for like 6+ years in the fridge? I stored mine in glass jars with color indicating silica beads to determine if moisture is getting in but I haven’t decided whether to fridge or freeze them yet… Suggestions and pros and cons of both? Some members report that they’ve frozen and unfrozen beans a few times and they still pop so I’m somewhat leaning towards the freezer…

• BD
7 Likes

I use a dedicated little small fridge set to around 40degrees . If you are aiming for preservation for a period of more than a few years like you said I would use the freezer.

5 Likes

Fridge for me. I have about 15 bodhi packs plus several others. Ive decided that you never know when your time is gonna come. Could be tomorrow. Could be 50 more years. Im not sitting on seeds. I plan on constantly popping new stuff and looking for something really legendary. You never know. Now, if i held more landrace seeds and IBLs i would be thinking about preservation storage. We need to hold on to the cultivars that started all this.

9 Likes

I always stored everything in a drawer or something and am now finding most of my old (10+ years) seeds aren’t viable. I do a jar in the fridge with dessicant now.

Does anyone know why seeds stored cold last longer? Is it a humidity thing?

You wouldn’t figure these seeds would survive sub zero temps let alone thrive given that it’s a pretty tropical plant…

2 Likes

I use the freezer mainly cause the kids don’t look in there to much

12 Likes

Plan for the Long haul and what’s it hurt.
There’s a reason that the Worlds seed supply storage is in Antarctica

4 Likes

Uhhh I think you mean Svalbard, Norway in the Arctic.
Lol

10 Likes

I think my fear is that they’ll somehow get damaged in the freezer through protein denaturation through cold temps (granted im not sure at what temp thats reached) even though you thats literally how they store precious seeds. I guess its time to drop my collection in the -80

2 Likes

So a follow up is this, if I want to pick a pack out, is it “safe” for the rest of them to be out of the freezer for about 10 minutes (extreme amount of time but ya never know) or will the thawing process start and ruin them? Again though ive read people have thawed beans out multiple times and theyre still viable…

2 Likes

Been doing it for decades

The fridge or the Freezer?

The freezer…
I’ve got them sorted so I’m not taken them out for any length of time.

1 Like

whats your method? I have em in jars per breeder.

I read somewhere here that when they are in the fridge they think it is winter and hold their breath, so when you take them out with warmer temperatures they think it’s spring and they’re willing to germinate. I keep them on the fridge … :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I’m all for the fridge. But unfortunately I have alot of seeds and have bought alot of food but all parents are accounted for so i can reproduce any lost seeds. So i dont bother deseeding anymore. Leave them in the bud in bags and then bag seeds as I break up weed. If brick weed stored in a hole in the ground for three years has growable seeds then why worry. If i am buying seeds i pop them right away.

2 Likes

What do you think the freezer does?

1 Like

I do the fridge thing, personally.

Seeds are stored in several of those Husky waterproof containers and the containers are then placed into the fridge. A sensorpush temperature and humidty sensor is in one of the cases and set to send alerts if something goes out of wack.

6 Likes

I keep them in the fridge in glass vials or original packs in a Tupperware container with desiccants .

2 Likes

The freezer would be as a winter in the Antarctica :penguin:, no weed there … ejem|nullxnull

3 Likes

Bahaha bahaha :joy:

3 Likes