From SSeeDD to sail.. exploring SSDD, pollen chucks & Bodhi Crosses

:heart_eyes: :star_struck: so when are the beans hitting the water? lol

9 Likes

SFV grown out well is killer. It’s really splitting hairs on these strains. If you can source the legit cuts, get them, run them three times in your room, see which expresses best in your room, and keep that one. SFV is absolute top shelf flower though. That Black Triangle has some winners in it too. I’m guessing most of those will throw out similar mixes of plants.

11 Likes

If the real deal SFV cut is as strong as TK and Ghost and whatnot, can’t really go wrong there. Run teh secret and teh redeye and roll the dice on a 3rd one if there’s room?

8 Likes

I’d go with the Redeye, Spirit, and Time Bandit. I’ve heard nothing but good things about TB

9 Likes

Cross the Redeye Jedi with the Spirit HP and call it Force Ghost!

6 Likes

It was a clone only Skywalker OG Kush from High Desert Relief. Let me see if I can drag up some pictures…

16 Likes

I hear you, I’m a lightweight and with my insanely active dogs that I have to drive everywhere I can’t even consume that much so potency doesn’t matter much to me. Often I actually prefer more mild flower. I have had ridiculously strong buds before and more often than not they just make me feel uncomfortable or panicky. Was the main reason I started getting into the blue lines in the 00s, but IME Bodhi’s stuff is just as mellow yet has higher (but not always extreme) potency.

All part of the brainstorming phase. I have to come to terms with things if I do this, IE if I don’t make TS F2s first I’m probably going to retire TS-C for plant count & space reasons. May even retire the SSDD mom. Will have to use TS-A a few times more to feel comfortable with that decision. I’m kind of weird and indecisive and have to obsesses over these things before I go through with them. I’d imagine within 2 weeks though.

Hard to argue with that when it’s one of his most popular strains. I went through 1 full pack and wasn’t thrilled, but maybe they could have been grown better. Still have 2 packs but probably won’t revisit that until I want to do a big tk hunt (Phone Home , Black Triangle , Trip Sun F2s?).

I ordered more REJ with the Secret Chief so that’s definitely how I’m leaning. 3rd I’m leaning towards Devil.

Ya the_bot’s review of Spirit looked really good to me. I could possibly see going with that instead of Devil’s HP

Here are some SSDD shots from today

13 Likes

I’d probably go with the Redeye Jedi, Secret Chief, Devil’s Hashplant and the Imperial Majesty, in that order. And I only put the IM fourth because I’ve already grown it haha (and will grow it again), same reason I put the DH third, except because you’ve already grown it haha.

I mean, really, all four of those are, like 1, 1A, 1B and 1C. I LOVE Skywalker OG, it’s good weed, always regretted not buying any packs of either the Skywalker x Snow Lotus or the Redeye Jedi, really have no idea why I never did. I actually just remembered this morning that I have a pack of Skywalker x Neville’s Wreck from Rare Dankness in the fridge and thought,”Ooh! I should plant some of those next round!” haha.

SFV is the only OG I’ve ever blazed that tastes lemony, even though everybody says every OG tastes lemony. It’s also a little “edgy” on the come up, which I know you don’t like. I don’t usually like that, either, but for some reason I don’t really mind it with the SFV.

I really dug the Time Bandits I grew, too, not sure why you have that way down at the bottom of your list haha. And that Irene… I dunno. Zephyr’s grown it and said that he didn’t think it was even a real OG. I’ve seen pics of that plant all over the place and I agree. The flavor descriptions I’ve read don’t sound anything like an OG, either.

10 Likes

Here are a couple more Skywalker OG pics.

15 Likes

I was typing my response and the “lights-on alarm” went off at 8am, had to go and deal with the tent and humidifiers and all that. Then I ran to the store to get alcohol. Came back to finish my response thirty minutes later and there were like 50 posts haha.

4 Likes

I don’t make judgements off of one plant but I just ran a Waking Dream (wifi 43) and to me it was the least interesting SSDD cross yet. I’m not excited about the idea having run that so recently (even if only 1 plant) and low excitement kills the fun for me. I know I could be surprised and find out it’s actually my favorite if I were to try it.

In one of the potcast interviews (nspecta?) I believe it’s referenced as the F cut or faux-G because it’s a “fake OG”. The description of the smell on that one is really hard for me to get past as well. I’ll wait and see what IAY and Greasy think of the cut when they run it and may change my mind then haha.

8 Likes

Thanks! That doesn’t look much at all like my REJ (smaller golfball buds). Awesome to see a reference shot for when going through the line.

10 Likes

Yeah the triangle is that way until you get used to that level of potency. Was uccomfortable/panicky for the first week or so and then been glorious ever since :yum: the ssdd is likely calming that down a bit in the Triple Sunshine as id expect to see it there otherwise. Good points!

10 Likes

I agree, as far as the highs on the majority of OG’s are concerned. They’re all very similar. Never grown any straight OG cuts, so I dunno about plant morphology (although those should all be pretty similar, too), but “splitting hairs” really is probably the best way to put it. I’ve said the same thing myself, never found that much of a difference between how any of them smoked.

Which isn’t to say that they’re not all very, very good haha. Having said that, once you start making hybrids of those cuts, everything’s kind of out the window.

10 Likes

For sure, I get that. And I wouldn’t say that Time Bandit is my FAVORITE or anything, but it was good enough that I bought a backup pack after growing the four that I grew. The grow report’s on OG, can’t remember if you were there for that one or not. That was three years ago.

Vagabond was asking about the Irene a while back and I remembered that zephyr had written quite a bit about it; I couldn’t find his original post, but here’s what he wrote when I asked him to chime in:

“Yeah I did talk about the Irene OG a while ago. It’s one of the southern OG versions. When I first saw it in California around 2012 or 13 they said it was a cut from Atlanta.

It smells like floral perfume and fruit loops. Compared to the OG lines from california the buds are larger and grow in colas, and the structure is more apically dominant with colas. If I were to guess, I think it could be either an outcross of the other southern kush cuts like triangle OG, or possibly just an unrelated line from era when all high grade bud was called “kush” in some states.

It’s pretty different from what I would consider the true OG kush lines from california. The older OG’s were stretchy and branchy with little nugs like berries evenly distributed on the whole plant, and larger buds at the tops.

Here are some quotes from what I wrote previously:

irene OG- perfumey fruit loops. This seems to be the smell that people now associate with the name OG, but to me a real OG like platinum, sfv, or the original should have a loud gas and skunk smell with hints of mild sweetness like the platinum OG clone I grew in the bay area, or the OG buds I was getting from good dealers in oakland and san francisco around 2009.

The irene OG comes from atlanta, and it appeared at a time when any really high quality bud or bud from out of state was frequently referred to as ‘kush’ or ‘og’ regardless of the strain. There is really no evidence that it has any shared lineage with the classic OG lines. it may be a relative of the emerald triangle bud that was bought to florida and became known as triangle kush.”

So, yeah, doesn’t sound like an OG to me haha! It’s kinda weird how that Irene just blew up, not too sure how that happened, but it’s not one that I’ve ever been interested in. I figure if it wasn’t around in 2008, it’s probably bullshit haha.

8 Likes

Wasn’t Irene a plant from Larry (Larry OG) who sold packs? Thought he had two OGs. One the guy would call Larry, because his name was Larry and the other. Thought the story was they got some packs in Atlanta of that stuff and found a seed or seeds and then you had Irene.

5 Likes

The Irene came from @GrowHard aka Rudeboi. That’s why Archive’s Rudeboi OG is irene x faceoff bx1

9 Likes

Same, I only ordered the pack impulsively in one of the B drop rushes @ GLG a few years go. I’m glad people here are growing out the cut to give us some more info on it and whether or not it’s worth growing.

I like the soapy aftershave smelling buds that I’ve gotten in some OG crosses, not sure if that’s the perfume smell being talked about or not. I’m not the biggest fan of soft / delicate floral / lavender smells usually.

That’s actually a downside to me too. That REJ was close to ideal for me. Small frosty buds with a good calyx to leaf ratio.

That RudeBoi OG that greasy reviewed sounded and looked ridiculously nice to me.

9 Likes

Well it sounds at least like a lot of people are in agreement with the choices for the most part ( REJ & Secret Chief). Was my thoughts anyways so that makes it easy. Will brainstorm on option for 3rd, or just do more REJ & SC. I like the idea of Devil’s HP because I only got to see 3 females and that church smelling pheno was very nice. The buds didn’t smell like church, they had a soapy skunky pine smell but when vaporized the whole area smelled like a catholic church. Was kind of cool. Great trance inducing effects too.

poll
  • Nothing - More REJ & Secret Chief
  • Devil’s HP (Diablo)
  • Spirit HP (Ghost)
  • Other

0 voters

6 Likes

I dunno. Since Irene’s something I’m not interested in, I really haven’t researched it too much. I think I read a little bit about it when I first started hearing about it and I’ve seen other people’s grow reports of it over the years and none of that piqued my interest at all haha.

I will say that the flavor descriptions I’ve read about Irene don’t sound anything at all like Larry OG. I love Larry and know that flavor very well.

Again, I only know what I’ve read myself and what zephyr’s said about it. I trust his judgement, though, particularly when it comes to OG’s. He’s one of the only people I’ve ever seen online who accurately describes them.

Both of those are, in my mind, “OG traits,” particularly the “small buds/good calyx-to-leaf ratio” thing. Two of the Uplifts I grew had that going on; the second time I ran the Larry Lotus, they did, too. Both Imperial Majesties did… Not to mention, whenever you’d buy pretty much any OG here in SoCal in the mid-to-late-aughts/early 2010’s, you never, ever got super-fat nugs, ever. Biggest nug you’d find weighed, like, maybe 4 grams, but it was mostly just little half-gram/one-gram things; “berries,” like zephyr mentioned.

Anyway, yeah, I need to water and y’all are fucking my shit up! Haha…

7 Likes