Gallbladder and Edibles

so… I and two others that I know personally have had our gallbladders removed (not by choice, a Tide Pod challenge or some such stupid shit like that). edibles of any type, do not work on us, we have tried all types, we have made the oil, tried different strengths, to no avail. I know this is a small sample group, but my question to the OG is:

Is a gallbladder needed to experience effects from edibles?

I would appreciate feedback from all, but especially those that may have had gallbladder removal surgery and their experiences.

regards,

10 Likes

No idea, but tincture maybe if thats the case. Couldn’t see a tincture not working.

4 Likes

I RARELY eat an edible as I’m a control freak… but iv had removal and a brownie with cannabutter will certainly effect me.

4 Likes

I believe my mom had hers removed, I’ll have to ask her to confirm.

My edibles get her higher than hell tho :laughing:

I just asked her, she did have hers removed.

4 Likes

two of us have tried Dragon tears, no go, just tasted the Everclear.

regards,

4 Likes

yeah, my neighbor told me, he was high for 5 or 6 hours one day from a brownie I gave him to sample. after that I quit making oil (got a majik butter machine going cheap, wasted a pound or more in this thing), just don’t seem to work for me and some others, apparently?

regards,

3 Likes

Wow. That’s crazy, but also totally possible. Because edibles get processed through the liver and the body THC is broken down into 11-hydroxy-THC (different than smoking, which is why edibles hit harder) so maybe the fall bladder plays an important role in that breakdown

3 Likes

It may have to do with all my receptors being occupied (tolerance), but I haven’t been able to feel anything from edibles in 20+years due to lack of gall bladder. I’ve had people say that lecethin can help, but I just bought some the other day to add to the next batch of edibles we make - My wife only eats edibles. I also was told that using bile supplements could help, but I’m not really into that.

Anyway, before I found out it was because of my lack of gall bladder, I attempted to eat a few hundred grams of edibles of all different types, from a few dispensaries. Still no effect, just a waste of $ on me. I’ve tried to use tincture under my tongue and held it there for way way long. Still nothing. I wish I could utilize edibles. 🤷

5 Likes

THC Isn’t activated until its processed by the liver when it comes to edibles. You might experience some euphoria from sublingual. Some people just don’t feel edibles. Same people can smoke or vape though.

3 Likes

My wife had hers removed and she most definitly gets high on edibles.

4 Likes

yeah, it’s not from the lack of gall bladder, but the way the edibles are made. they don’t do shit for me either but making budder always does it. i think it has to do with the way they process it, but several folks here have had theirs removed and edibles affect them so it can’t be the gall bladder that does it.

3 Likes

That isn’t good at all.Should def not taste like residual alcohol. I would find a different source.

3 Likes

It’s all about processing that fat. Most without a gall bladder it passes straight through. I know that diet and supplements can help, but I still haven’t been able to get any effects from edibles for decades. I was recommended by @Bobgrows , whom might have some input here, to try some lecethin, sunflower I believe, to help it be processed in the body. I don’t know anything really, so don’t take my word for it. Just sad about edibles. 🤷😢

3 Likes

that would make sense with me and the budder since it is made with butter and most edibles are just extracts of some sort. i still don’t think gall bladders have anything to do with it or some of the folks here who don’t have them wouldn’t get high on edibles. but i’ve been wrong before and am not a doctor so…damn. shoulda been a doctor.

3 Likes

i saw this on reddit a week or two back. the guy was making some pretty wild and unsubstantiated claims saying it was ‘science’. internet research suggests there doesn’t seem to be any backing for this claim. perhaps you just coincidentally found two people that had their gallbladders removed that also can’t make much of edibles.

4 Likes

I have to say, before I had it removed I enjoyed edibles often. Totally nothing afterwards. I didn’t know that was why for the longest time.

I think @Bobgrows has some actual scientific backing for this. Maybe she’ll chime in. :wink: I know there’s another thread about this somewhere.

3 Likes

Your gall Bladder and liver supply the enzymes for the fats to absorb into your system. Without the gall Bladder you don’t produce the enzymes needed.
One way is to put them under your tongue without swallowing as long as possible. They will absorb into your bloodstream under your tongue. If you swallow they go through the gall bladder, if you have one and liver. Without a gall Bladder they cannot break down and be absorbed.
I hope this helps

4 Likes

and how about the folks in this thread who don’t have a gall bladder but still get high on edibles? how does it work on them if the gall bladder is required?

2 Likes

Hey I’ve had mine out and still get hammered off a nice 100mg lol

I make mine with mct oil as I believe it bypasses the liver or some such sorcery. Either way my gummies or oil work very well for me. Had it out at 17 so no experience with edibles and a gallbladder to compare though

3 Likes

I have a friend who can eat 300mg at a time and doesn’t get anything off of it and he still has his Gall bladder i tried some of the same batch and i ate a double and i was fucked.Some people have a wierd freaky tolerance when it comes to edibles too

4 Likes