General approach towards stablizing a line

i dont have a whole lot of space but i would like to play around with crosses. i like variety and have made a few s1 seed batches at this point to “backup” things ive come across. the results have been more than decent but i want to up my game a bit.

i have one random pheno of Unicorn Sherbet from cult classic seeds that i quiet like. I made S1s that were decently stable. i grew a handful and plants and non were duds but also none were all that similar to the original cut. seems like the genetic pool is a bit wild in this one.

on the other hand i have the gushmints cut from pcg that ive been working with. its s1 progeny are rock solid consistently stacked little ladies of pure joy. i would work with gushmints exclusively but the flavor is so mild. the best way i can describe it is non offensive with cakey overtones. that makes me think it might be a good backbone with bringing consistency over to the unicorn shertbet.

my plan is to reverse the GM cut and pollinate my US cut. from those resulting seeds, ill pick a pheno that most closely resembled the originating US cut. I want feminized seeds of the US cut, but with the consistency that GM brings.

does this seem like a reasonable approach?

update: “backcross” the pheno i like from the first GM X US cross back with the first US mother. in my mind that means it would be 75% original US mother but in practice… maybe not

13 Likes

Seems like you’ve thought things through and have a strong vision of what you want to achieve. A very reasonable approach. To take it a step further, you could then reverse the US x GM that best resembles the original Us clone and use it to pollinate the original clone. Like a fem backcross. Might further reinforce the traits you like about the original, if you don’t get there on the first fem cross. Either way, best of luck with your selections!:grin::peace_symbol:

8 Likes

@Budderton oh wow. that makes too much sense

3 Likes

Excellent suggestions from Budderton. :+1:

I had a quick peek at the genealogy of both. There’s multiple inputs of OG Kush in both lines (total of 8?). So if you decide to make regular seed later, using a selected OG Kush male might be a good option.

PM me if you want some. For a bonus, it’s IBL, so it will be a stable addition.

Cheers
G

11 Likes

When you said that none of the s1 plants where alike. How do you mean? in high, taste, smell, plant size and structure? Could you tell that they came from the original gm plant?

what i was getting at is that the s1 of GM are stable. the stretch about the same, bulk up similarly and gave a narrow range of expected smells. the s1 i made of US are not consistent at all. some stretch like mad, others none at all. its super noticeable in the bud structure. the mother plant puts out golf ball nugs that are dense as hell. you still see that in some of the s1 progeny but there is also a couple phenos with shwaggy fluffy buds with little to no trics.

i wanna start cataloging seeds that are predicable so i can trade with folks and have confidence their quality. i wouldnt pass out s1s of US. too much bunk. i wanna bring some of the consistency over from GM while preserving the look / bud structure of that specific pheno of US i like. I think its doable, they are very similar plants to begin with

1 Like

Yeas it’s very doable. And looks like you are off to a good start.