Genetic testing for cannabis

I know there is gender testing, terpenes, cannabinoids, water content, heavy metals, disease, and a few others that are offered in Canada but what I’m trying to find out is if there is a dna test to pinpoint different strains. For example… if I had a bunch of old school beans mixed together, and I knew of a few different strains that were in there, is there a test that can be done to verify what ones are the same strain? Not what the strains are, just to verify seedlings 2, 7, and 15 are the same strain.

2 Likes

If there is I hope those are really precious seeds because testing each one will be very expensive.

If this is about actual seeds mixed up and not the theoretical possibility of genetic testing then you might have some success just sorting them by their looks.

3 Likes

I believe that phylos.bio does this… Not sure about pricing though… They also have some open data which could be used to match similarity to other strains.

2 Likes

I wanted to get them tested as a tissue sample I’m not sure if it could be done with just seeds but sorting through carefully might help a bit. Seed similarities are hard to spot on the best of days

1 Like

I just checked them out but it said they stopped selling test kits and accepting sample June 2021.
Thanks for the tip though, it was worth a shot

1 Like

https://deltaleaflabs.com/shop/strain-fingerprint/

2 Likes

I haven’t used this service yet, but I do use their genetic sex testing.

1 Like

Although most likely pricey, I’d say a DNA test would easily identify copies or close copies. But, you would have to perform a lot of separate tests if it’s from a random group of unknown seeds.

It sure would be cool if we could have a simple and cheap way to do that one day. An open source database of all tests ever performed recorded, would be very cool. I imagine, some curious mind with all of the money, is thinking the same thing, but only to have and own all of that info outright to do what he wanted with it.

1 Like

Thats exactly what Phylos did.

1 Like

I think delta is in the USA aren’t they?