Giant trichomes

Yes! Giant trichomes is what this thread is all about!

I’d like to know which lines are known for giant trichome heads. I’ve read of a few in the past, but wasn’t paying attention to that particular trait at the time.

I’m gathering a list with the intent to breed a line for hash makers, man I love my hash :yum:

12 Likes

Traditionally Sativa dominant phenotypical plants will show smaller trichome headed glands and Indica will have a larger bulbous type trichome…

Now there are of course varying degrees to this rule of thumb but this is what I’ve found to be true.

So if looking for large headed trichome’s I’d look into Afghani/Pakistani Hindu Kush “Hash Plant” Cannabis strains!

Alaskagrown

8 Likes

This struck me as intriguing since I saw a post from house and garden nutrients earlier on Instagram talking about a phenomena where moist soil leads to sap coming out the flowers because it causes root swelling or something like that and the picture in the post looked like a giant trichome.

3 Likes

Hey sir, im not really sure if its best for hash to have and look for bigger trichomes, i think is more on the shape and form of the trichome foot/head, and how easy it snaps or breaks from the foot and also the Wax/fat ratio. As some trichome heads membranes are thinner and tend to break or explode, some other are thick and waxy and hold not so much fats in it.

This is just my opinion, maybe i’m wrong but is what i understood reading and with experience.

That said, i think one of the largest/bigger trichome producer is Amnesia Haze. Not my fav strain but dude, everytime I see it well grown you can just stare at the trichomes with all details. You can see both foot and head. GMO and SD are very good trichome producer and hash yielders, the trichomes are big (not as big, and with shorter foot than Amnesia) but they snap pretty easy.

3 Likes

Very interesting! Pink Lotus has some strange oversized trichs. There is one that towers over the field of trichs like a water tower. The trich head on it is 3x the others in diameter. They are intermittent but they do make you do a double take when you see it.

I hadn’t considered trichomes shape and wax/fat ratio, but definitely will look into it, thank you

I got the “trichome size is important” from the likes of samskunkman who “popularized” the bubble bags and been breeding for years toward the perfect resin plant and insisted on tric size and Tom Hill who also insist on big trichomes.

He rejected this plant saying be critical, no ruthless, heads are too small

:v:

5 Likes

Sorry if i wasn’t clear. Of course if you find a strain wich have both big and fat oily trichomes you are gonna get a superb hash. Im sure Sam the skunkman have been doing and smoking better hash than me and forgot more than i could ever know…
What i wanted to say is:
If you find a big trichomes strain that dont easily snap you will have a bad hash yield.
If those trichomes snap but the membrane is so thin that it breaks you will end with a thin layer of oil over the water that is impossible to catch with the bags and will lose it all.
So its a matter of find the perfect ratio, trial and error till you find something that fits perfect yes.

There are lots fakefrost strains out there nowadays (full of trichomes but no high, no flavour no stink) and a lot of plants that are extremely resinous but they dont work for hash because practically all the resin is super large foots with very small heads. And the hash turns out super generic and waxy. Wich is not a bad thing if you like that flavour-side (maybe in terms of health(?) I dont really know…) But i think it lacks on flavour and meltiness. The best water hash i’ve tried came from the 120u bag and sole of the 160u when i handled to do it superclean!

Also, bubbleman said in a Hashchurch episode that the best terpy, smelly and tasting hash he ever tried was a 99% dry heads from sam skunkman so… Cant tell you about it because the only strain that give me dry sift clean heads is skunk or skunk related stuff… But its 70u always. Gotta figure out a lot of new stuff and techs. Hash is a never ending self improving art i love to spend time in. <3

4 Likes

Jay Plantspeaker was showing some videos on IG of getting a gain in large heads by using the quillaja extract.

SkunkmanSam also fantasizes about grape sized trichome heads. :yum:

6 Likes

Hahaha man literally my hashdream is a 22 inches diameter ECSD trichome head.

:grin:

2 Likes

The biggest trichome I measured was 180μm across the cap. Even though the cap size or length or something else etc, it’s just the number of trichomes per single bud that increases the hash yield. Part of a mega study I did on it. If you want, I have the photographic evidence as well saved on my computer I can post that.

3 Likes

Sorta like that, it’s Francos lemon cheese.

6 Likes