Grandaddy Purple - Ken's GDP - Legit or BS?

Hi Y’all

i have a lot of questions and have had to re-write this post/post title twice now because i’m asking too many questions and getting off topic doing so. one thing at a time. you’ll have to forgive me. i’m in an illegal state and have no one else to talk with about all this stuff. there probably are other growers here but everything is hush hush so i have no growmies. being that the case, i have a tendency to ramble type and ask a million questions in one post. so… here we go. one question

preface - GDP is very important to my garden as it is one of the many strains grown out and tested that actually worked.

it took me a LONG time to get my hands on Ken’s GDP seeds. 2yrs. always out of stock/sold out. after i finally got them, i was informed by many that Ken has been caught using other people’s work as his, his company is greatly diminished through general community distrust and that the seeds that took so long for me to get may be fake/not even GDP seeds (?).

does anyone have any definitive knowledge if Ken’s GDP seeds are still legit or are they sketchy garbage?

• to be fair, i have tried to grow one of kens seeds. started it along with one OG Shoreline GDP. the plan was to have two clone moms going (need to up my GDP production for patient). unfortunately the indoor space got infested with spidermites and they ravaged both GDP plants. took them outside for quarantine, treated them for 2 weeks. Ken’s plant (which had been runty and slow growth the entire time in comparison to OG Shoreline and my experience with prior blimburn GDP seed grows) pretty much died outside. OG shoreline GDP bounced back, loved the sun and heat and is now flowering outside with the rest of my outside grow. wonderfully hearty plant.
    any plant and any genetics can succumb to a spidermite infestation to be fair, but even before that the Ken plant was … weak. underwhelming. i had greater expectations. i intend to try them again as it may have just been one dud seed in the pack. it happens.

are the Kens seeds no longer viable? are the rumors true?

11 Likes

Sounds like you just answered your question.
But I’m a total noob to growing and liniage.
Good luck I hope you find what your looking for, I’m sure someone has some GDP that rocks… Hell it’s OG :seedling:

4 Likes

!!! This. I’ve seen people here mention their authentic GDP. :3 it’s okay bro shit happens but ur in the right place now

5 Likes

Ken’s GDP is his cut of Grand Daddy Purp backcrossed, it isn’t a great growing plant but there’s a handful of breeders & homegrow pollen tossers here in Hawai’i who have seen good results using it as stock.

7 Likes

The cross is Purple Urkle x Big Bud. This cross will have multiple different phenotypes, with different expression and traits. So in a polyhybrid like this, you can’t really compare plants when growing one or two plants. You need hundreds.

Ken got a GDP cut which have been in it’s fair share of drama. That’s all I know.

On another note Blimburn will NOT be even related GDP, they buy white label seeds and slap a name on it that is “hype” or “known” just for sales.

Pz :v:t2:

11 Likes

Here is 6 GDP from Ken, they are all different.

Pz :v:t2:

24 Likes

Chris G originally bred GDP where Humboldt and Mendocino meet.
Chris got jumped and murdered, and soon after Ken pops up with GDP seeds and a story about some native giving them to him.

Ive worked with both lines, there’s a difference. The old Humboldt limes is more potent and can throw every color in the spectrum - green, red, black, purple. Beautiful line.
My buddy has the old line and like bred it towards each color.
Here’s a male from that line I used back in 2014/2015 to make my Blueberry Muffin line.

When I get that line back, I’ll have some to distribute

29 Likes

I grew Ken Estes GDP well over 10 years ago and it gave the biggest buds I’ve ever seen with about a 3-4/10 potency. I gave the best clone to my buddy who moved a lot of it and he grew it for years and found a market but I dropped it after 1 run because the packs I bought were so weak. It finished in Southern Ontario by October.

6 Likes

There’s an original gdp cut, then there’s Ken’s gdp cut, then Ken’s gdp seeds.

Ken allegedly used a champagne kush cut to make his, which people thought was the champagne hp but it’s supposed to be an obscure pink champagne cut from the bay…

I remember the native story. There was more drama surrounding these guys but can’t really remember, some rotten stuff

12 Likes

that is somewhat my intent at this point. i have read all the complaints and gossip and just need to keep moving forward. patient needs this stuff.
i figure if the blimburn cut (that everyone says is puppy-mill seed) does this well for her, a real/good cut is going to do even better.

my real intent is to try and find a few good males and a few good females and try and make my own seed so i never have to hunt again.

between:

• kens gdp
  • og shoreline gdp
  • XOX gdp
  • blimburn gdp

i have got to find decent females and males to breed with. would be my first breeding project, but everything since i started growing 3yrs ago has been “firsts” and i’m still here so must ready to tackle a project like that.

do i have the space to run 100 plants? hell no! (wish i did!) but i’m still willing to give it a shot.

9 Likes

I just tried running 16 plants and ended up culling half of them. You’re talking an act of devotion! Keep us posted…

3 Likes

yeah… belive me. i’ve gotten the tell on blimburn for a few years now from many people, but
for a strain hunt it was economical for me. i needed a lot of different seeds. buying hi-ya seeds made no sense. one expensive pack is equivalent to 3-4 inexpensive packs… which also allowed me to grow more strain out to test.
the intent was to always use “jv team” seeds to test. when and if i found strains that work, then i go look for the good “varsity team” sh*t. and now that i know GDP is working i’m trying to find the best stuff for her. up until the last year i was always under the impression that ken’s was the best. (it’s certainly hyped up that way). now i know better.

blimburn have served their purpose and saved me money doing so. some of their strains were pretty good. even a blind squirrel gets a nut every now and then.

6 Likes

I ran Ken’s GDP seeds about 7 or 8 years ago, alot of garbage in there but did find one plant that is still to this day my favorite plant I’ve grown. It was a small somewhat runty plant with slow vegetative growth, dark almost blue looking leaves in veg. She was the stickiest plant I’ve grown with an amazing meaty/umami type smell. The stone was perfect… and heavily influenced by how you felt going into it… if you were up and going it would bring a euphoric, giggly effect while still being full bodies relaxation. If you were winding down for the day it would slowly relax your mind and body into a state of numb bliss.

I lost that plant about 3 years ago in a move but have a number of outcrosses made with her. One of them is meant to stabilize the traits from that special plant and so far I’m getting 50% of expressions with the exactly same flavor and stone but also a bumped up yield. That line is GDP (I call mine “jerky cut”) x Sweet Dreams from KC brains (a big bud hybrid). I then grew out those plants and selected a male that had the same vegetative traits (structure, stem rub) and back crossed it into the special cut of Ken’s GDP. Those seeds are the ones producing 50% GDP learners and 50% Sweet Dreams leaners. My plan was to back cross a couple more times but since that cut is gone I can only work the line by inbreeding the cross, selection both male and female plants for strongest GDP (jerky cut) traits.

6 Likes

ooo. never heard that story. even more controversy to throw on the pile.

i got some OG Kush seeds from humboldt last year when we figured out OG Kush works for patient as well. it is currently in flower outside. what a LOVELY plant. i heard all the hype about humboldt and kinda rolled my eyes for a year or two. i stand happily corrected at this point.
also happy to say i have several more seeds/strains from them ready to go next year.
PPD, sour diesel, raspberry parfait, GS cookies, orange creamsickle, humboldt headband and humboldt dream.

5 Likes

yeah. all the controversy surrounding GDP really sucks. it’s great medicine.
thankfully people have picked up that ball and run with it.

someone has to know someone doing something with it on here.

2 Likes

Here’s the cut of Ken’s GDP (from seeds)-

And here is one of the GDP leaners from the back cross (aroma and stone, looks very different)

16 Likes

were they GDP?
what was the issue? lack of space? disease? insects?

2 Likes

Maybe just get some Purple Urkle S1’s from CSI. I’m guessing the medicinal part your patient likes is from the Urkle. Just veg them forever. Best of luck!

7 Likes

those are your crosses? looks nice.
ok… so in your experience weeding through kens seeds is a process. you ~may~ find a gem in there, you may not.

i guess from my end is i need to be prepared to keep any phenos i find that work in a permanent veg state and keep as clone mom?
from there either cross it or self it for seed stock?

time to really kick those training wheels off valhalla…

3 Likes

appreciate your input. many have suggested purple urkel or mendo purp or even purple kush (purple kush IS on the list) it’s not necessarily about the purple… the studies i’m going from didn’t really deep dive on the terpenes. i don’t think a lot of that information was available at the times of the medical studies. many of the list strains have nothing to do with purple.

i think once i have 2 primaries and 2 backups for daytime/night time i will start looking for more modern crosses with similar terpene profiles.

i have a bunch more “list” strains running outside in flower. when these finish and are tested i will be 2/3 thru the main list and the secondaries list. so one more season will finish both lists off. (already have next season planned out)

i may at one point end up growing out urkel or mendo purps searching for backups. they may have the right terp profiles. just gotta get through the lists first before branching out. hope that makes sense.

1 Like