Gratitude day

I know the history of this country and I get the revisions to our National myth,.but it is good to be grateful for what we’ve been given
Thanks to all overgrowers and this forum for being my safe place and my friends
Blessings on all

9 Likes

Fact, but it has been a myth. Thanks for the people who try to make a difference.

4 Likes

What myth are you guys alluding to?

From the Smithsonian Magazine:
The myth is that friendly Indians, unidentified by tribe, welcome the Pilgrims to America, teach them how to live in this new place, sit down to dinner with them and then disappear. They hand off America to white people so they can create a great nation dedicated to liberty, opportunity and Christianity for the rest of the world to profit. That’s the story—it’s about Native people conceding to colonialism.

1 Like
1 Like

Ah, that myth. Sad and brutal things happen when ‘cultures clash’. Has been that way forever. Nothing will ever change what has happened in the past.

Also, not really a myth to me, or my schoolmates. We graduated high school, in the ‘dreaded’ 1980’s. At the time we left school for ‘bigger’ things, ‘we’ as in all students, were aware of the brutality the natives had suffered, from disease to outright murder. Perhaps my first grade teacher had a different narrative, than did my senior year teacher, huh. ya for def.

The myth is what they tell 6 year olds, so as to not traumatize them, unnecessarily. Childhood myths get debunked as we age, ie.SANTA.

1 Like

I remember asking my first grade teacher…‘so how did Squanto know how to speak English?’

Lol

2 Likes

haha, lololol, you too?

2 Likes

the issue is that these myths actually can create traumatized indigenous children…just as native Americans will tell their children Andrew Jackson was a monster yet they have to see him glorified on one of our most circulated currencies…causes a disconnect between what their oral history tells them (and the devaluation of their oral history is another issue…see sitting bulls grandson etc.) and what they are required to regurgitate for standardized testing…

2 Likes

That is all well and good. But you cannot make Jackson vanish from History. He was a bad dude. Most of the dudes back then were ‘bad’ in one form or another. History is an evolution of peoples. Don’t lose sight of the past, because you will not see the future coming.

Excellent discourse, thanks for sharing your views. Takin’ a smoke break :wink:

2 Likes