GreenBhoy’s Garden

@Upstate I dusted another branch as soon as I got the old one out. I did it with the Oaxacan too so we’ll see. It’s an honour to grow this old girl to be honest. I sit under her in the evening and just marvel at her size and vigour. Thank you so much for the seeds and turning me on to landraces in general.

It’s Durban and Nanda Devi left now in the race against weather, light, time and genetics.

Durban beginning to fill out flowers but still a good ways to go.

Nanda Devi: very airy tiny buds. Little trichomes so far.

But, Man. these landraces are interesting to watch grow. The main thing I’ve found is to get the fuck out of its way and leave it alone.
It knows what it’s doing.

12 Likes

I can’t believe how far you are getting with these! If you can get that Durban to finish in the UK that would be epic! It’s getting rather close. A plant that size can handle a frost or two for sure. Especially if you throw a blanket or something over it.
The Nanda Devi will put on resin late.
Landraces really are a lot of fun to grow. Each one seems to be so different from the next. You never know what you are going to get. Maybe a Durban Tree😁

4 Likes

Okay, @upstate. so they’ve managed another couple of weeks. They are both looking a bit straggly now and I don’t know how much longer they need.
The Durban has bigger flowers and an amount of trichomes. The Nanda Devi has small airy buds and still little resin. It has turned purple a bit and the leaves look a dull green. I don’t know if that’s it or if they just have a ways to go.
The sun has been weaker and has dropped way down in the sky so we are approaching the laws of diminishing returns here.

Durban

Durban

Nanda Devi

Durban

14 Likes

I would let them flower until frost kills them or when the plants begin to grow leaves instead of buds. They will let you know when there is not enough Sun. I know of a guy that has grown Manipuri at a similar latitude. (He lives in Seattle) plants went until Mid December.
That Durban is looking pretty Damn close. How about seeds? Do you see any forming? Couple more weeks and they should be done. I doubt you own a tower to hang that Durban in, but the bigger the piece of plant you can hang, the better chance you have of seeds finishing. They will continue to ripen after you pull the plant if there is enough plant material to keep feeding the seeds growth.
Nanda Devi Calyx’s will swell up, but the flowers will not grow much more on this one. O Many Himalayan varieties have lots of feral plant genes mixed in with the good plants. Hard to say if you got a feral plant or not, but this one doesn’t look like it’s going to fill out much more. Its all luck of the draw with landraces. At the very least the Devi will make some nice edibles or some hash. The Durban looks like it will be smokable😁

1 Like

@Upstate
Yeah, I plan on making hash from the Nanda. Freeze drying it ‘live’ and separating it at my leisure. AKA @JoeCrowe Method
The Durban is def closer to finish. I may take a couple of nugs off and see how ready she is. I don’t see any seeds yet but I brushed lower branches so I could harvest the plant and still leave them on.

3 Likes

If you are looking for an energetic buzz from the Durban, pick it while the resin glands are still clear, but fully formed. Sativas gain much of their potency at the end of flowering and after the Cure. Don’t be disappointed if you don’t notice much of an effect at the moment.

1 Like

I can’t wait to see it!

@Upstate
These are a couple shots of the Nanda taken through a loup.

4 Likes

Not many calyxes but there’s some decent resin on there… are the resin glands cloudy yet?

3 Likes

Any life left up North?

2 Likes

Hey @GreenBhoy , :facepunch:
Looked like they were still doing well - plus with the mild winter we’re having ( except that hurricane ‘Allwen’ or whatever it was called…)
You’re based in the London area aren’t you ?
It’s a good bit milder than up here in Glasgow area of Scotland.

I have a couple of them Ape Tranquiliser you sent me and I also have two Orange Grove - all in early veg - i just flipped a bunch of different strains/crosses - some are plants iv re-vegged after harvest ( x3 .) plus still some are seedlings.
I have x3 GG#4 bx1 from @SamwellBB - seedlings still but I’ll let them grow in the 12/12 schedule- got three Dank Zappa f2’ seedlings too … plus a couple more plants that iv not labelled.
Anyway i digress, i meant to ask you how much stretching did your Orange Grove do - did you veg it a while before you put it outside .?
Plus any info on the Ape Tranquiliser would be appreciated. :ok_hand:.!

You have done a Good job of growing any outdoor photos in the U.K. - it’s probably better to grow autos from June to Sept .?!

How did you get on with the outdoor plants - did you take them after the last picture or .?

Anyway , you have great weekend.
Gaz
:facepunch:

3 Likes

Well, that was a shedload of work!
Started harvesting the Nanda Devi (Real Seed Company) middle of November then the Durban (@Upstate) It was a couple of weeks sitting to attention in Trim Jail.
I ache.
Never dealt with plants this size before and it was just…So Much Weed!

Anyway in summary

The Nanda flowers are very small, leaves are plentiful but not difficult to trim. Still, there’s a fuck ton of them. Lol.

A couple of branches can mean a couple of Christmas trees and I’m still in my pre industrial phase of hand trimming.

As I’m making hash I trimmed it down to the nugs, such as they are, then froze them immediately in ziplock bags per @JoeCrowe

Couple of thoughts. Nanda Devi were the smallest seeds I’ve ever seen. Looked like fat sesames.
But also, and this taught me a real lesson in humility…these landraces have done it all alone.
I planted them in a raised bed and that was it. No nutrients, in fact I never ever watered them AT ALL.
To be honest I had no idea these plants would get so big. I just gawked admiringly at them all summer.

Never thinking, “Fuck, I gotta trim that.”

It got cold towards the end and the upper branches turned purple, almost black.

Anyhow, it was pretty shaggy when I started.

I couldn’t reach the top colas from the ground!

Some tying up was neccessary

Was a good summer.

14 Likes

Save that stem! Neat keepsake! Pics of Durban buds? Any seeds?

1 Like

Sadly seedless. (Sounds weird to say)

2 Likes

8 Likes

Sometimes I find the craziest bud nobody even wants to smoke, pumps out the gnarliest hash! Can’t wait.

4 Likes

No feed, no water! That’s incredible. After all that trimming… Take the rest of the year off! Lol. Up next… smoke report!!! Well done

Grow4th!!!

4 Likes

Congratulations on your massive trees, was a pleasure to see. :seedling:

3 Likes

Landrace and heirloom plants are environmentally friendly. Set em and forget em. Great job @GreenBhoy. What was the Harvest date? It will help me calculate what Durban will do here without light dep.
That bud looks pretty damn good! It will get better with a cure no doubt.
Making hash from Nanda?

2 Likes

I think nearly every grower has been guilty of taking something that wasn’t broke and fixing until it was.

2 Likes