Greenup tries expensive auto flowers (mephisto)

Now I feel like a goofball, lol

1 Like

Dont… it was the skillful growing of those plants that made me take notice. I’d like to see what ya do with the DG.

3 Likes

Photo dump from this morning. Once again my auto is super small. The nodes are all so bunched up. This one is the Strawberry Crinkle.

I started another mephisto seed a couple days ago and it has sprouted this morning. This one I put in an even larger pot and I will keep it under 20/4 hour light cycle from day zero. This seed is “White Creme”.

9 Likes

Shouldn’t this thing be much larger at 53 days since putting in soil?

4 Likes

Be aware that the strawberry Crinkle has a very high tendency to herm or just be straight up male plants. Seeing a lot of it on Reddit.

Good luck, excited to see your progress @Greenup !!

3 Likes

Mine used to till it was a $500 electric bill :rofl::joy:

5 Likes

It could have stunted… or could just be a smaller strain. Not really all that uncommon for Mephisto stuff to be very short… or exhibit a shorter pheno.

With that being said, alot of the times I ended up with short but very chunky plants. Nothing left to do other than wait it out… maybe defoliate some to open up more bud site.

1 Like

What size containers are you using?

I have tried autos in 3, 4 and 5 gallon pots.

1 Like

Yeah… LED dimmed to 80% = around 150w for me so it’s like forgetting to turn of the lights back in the day :rofl:

Some of my best autos grew in 3 gallons. To much soil and they seem to take more time building roots below ground versus the greens above. I never up-pot my autos anymore if I can avoid it and plant right into their “forever container”; or I’ll up-pot from a “speed cup” or 1L air-pot at day 13/14 from the seed hitting water.

The combo of smaller pot + 24/0 + heavy handed feedings = glory!

Best of success!!!

5 Likes

I’ve grown probably 20 Meph plants last couple of years. All have been in rockwool using MegaCrop.

My general experience, they start slow, don’t push them and about day 25-30 above ground they take off. Not sure if I was just lucky, but I never had a real dwarf or dud. Most grew to about 24" tall and yielded 70-90g. I never topped and rarely trained, but I’d clean up the lowers pretty frequently. I eventually settled on 20/4 light schedule, and my feedings averaged around 450ppm. I was using LED in that tent, and I always had to run them pretty low or I’d suffer serious leaf degradation. DLI was roughly 25 at very highest.

Not sure if it was my environment or just general breeder bravado, but I always ran them way longer than advertised. Fastest was maybe low 70’s days from sprout, but most went 85-95 days. Some i had to take over 100 days.

Not specific to OP, but if you are always getting little twigs, it’s probably just too much love. Too much light, too much nutes, too much water, too much up-potting, etc. Every grow is different, but that’s my experience. Good luck!

4 Likes

@Pigeonman I’m perpetually amazed at soil growers and their successes. All attempts at a 1 gallon (for me so far) have been less than great, we shall see how my milk carton girls do. Bwuahahahhaa.

2 Likes

I appreciate this comment. I will keep trying different pot sizes. I was convinced by many online that my pot size was too small. I mostly grow in 3 gallons but mostly been growing photos. Right now I have 3 autos in 3 different pot sizes cause I kept going up. This last one I have in a 5 gallon, planted the seed with tail directly in the 5 gallon and its under 20/4 from the get go. I will post photos soon but it’s above ground and cranking.

Side note: The same day I placed the White Creme in wet paper towel I also placed a White Widow auto (not mephisto) into a wet towel as well. The thing took several days to crack open and the tail is just barely peeking out. No further growth of the tail in the last two days. Did it die? How much longer should I give it? It was an impulse purchase at the grow shop, felt silly buying a single seed for $12 lol but I had christmas money burning a hole and white widow sounded nice.

4 Likes

Running the lights 20 hours on and 4 hours off. If I want to change the time of day that the lights are off, can I just leave them on longer or start the new dark period way sooner? Maybe whichever is closer, if that even makes sense?

Currently lights are off 4am to 8am and thinking about changing that to
off from 4pm to 8pm.

3 Likes

Remember that these are all F1 illuminautos and regular Mephisto strains are at least taken to f4 for so it can have a wider range of growth structure and it’s y they’re cheaper than normal strains and I experienced it with some of their Strawbba the Hutt 2 completely different phenos and one tiny but one was a beast Happy Growing The Doc… I think it’s gonna make a difference for you with the light cycle being changed as well I have been doing 20\4 and it’s just my 3rd Auto grow and each one has gotten better just a bit of a learning experience for me but you’ll be just fine

4 Likes

A very good point that had totally escaped me. I just assumed it was me but it surely could be in part or whole to the genetics. I am have fun with them either way. Not sure what problems I am going to run into but the buds are already touching each other, i can only imagine how packed it will get in the top few nodes.

5 Likes

Toof Decay Day 8

just started to kick into gear lol yesterday, 1 gallon pot to start

5 Likes

With autos, makes no difference, make the change in whatever way is convenient for you. Photoperiood plants would be a different story, but you are good to go.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info on autos, I will just switch it up when it works for me. Out of curiosity, when dealing with photos what would you recommend? I would imagine you just skip the old dark period and go dark at your new time.

3 Likes

With photos I would extend the dark period until my new light on time. They won’t bark if you deprive them of light for a bit, but they can get a bit bitchy if you expose them to light during their anticipated dark period. So kinda the opposite of what you were thinking if im reading you right.

1 Like