Grey (visually seems Botrytis) Mold in Medium - What should I do to save them?

I have a Peat based medium that I leave (already prepared for throughout the grow) in a huge container well covered in darkness, but im not sure what happened that there was mold in it (gray mold) it wasnt much and it was on the top layer, but the problem is I scooped in darkness yesterday and didnt see it until today, yesterday I used it to transplant 8 plants.

Now im not sure what I can do, I was thinking of watering with a 5:1 Water:3% Hydrogen Peroxide solution… Not sure if anyone has any ideas. or should i just prepare for their eventual death?

1 Like

Sure it isn’t mycorrhizae?

3 Likes

I wish :pensive:I prepare the Peat myself, I didnt mix it in this time.

Plants look healthy?

for now, but i read it can take several days for it to take them over.

My thoughts are that any chemicals that would kill the mold would kill your plants too.

Maybe transplant again into clean medium asap and see what happens?

1 Like

you could try to sterilize the medium with some sulfur. It’ll definitely kill grey mold and acidify at the same time. Plants are good with it unless you shift the ph too much.

1 Like

My bet is that it’s no big deal. I get algae on my perlite too.

1 Like

This wasn’t algae though, I get green algae too specially in early veg, but this was gray mold. Now I’m not a biologist but i believe they are different.

was This peat mix very wet?

It was moist, if you squished it it wouldn’t drip for ex, but it would wet your hand

I suspect it’ll be fine.

Maybe keep your soil a little drier.

1 Like

I hope so ! I need to find a better storage solution

I know you told @Yetigrows that you didn’t mix it in, but if you’re using unpasteurized Sphagnum peat moss, mycorrhizae can occur naturally.

2 Likes

Thanks ! I’m going to have to look at the peat product description

1 Like

What did you mix into it? Fungi and bacteria grow to break down the amendments that are mixed in, they’re what “cooks” the soil for you.

1 Like

Hi! It’s not organic. It’s peat with vermiculite

Do you have a photo? Could be the good mold.

:green_heart: :seedling:

2 Likes

Unfortunately not, but It looked exactly like botrytis or anything that grows on strawberries/fruits