Grow light 250w

i’ve seen some pretty cool grows using solar panels and battery arrays to completely run a large indoor grow, in a purpose built house way out in the boonies. i wonder how much just the solar/battery aspect cost. @99PerCent has really encouraged me to look in to solar panels, but i have a feeling my utility company wouldn’t be interested in buying surplus power for the grid, i think we already sell a surplus elsewhere. will have to check. would be great just having a 0 bill every month.

2 Likes

Solar panels to keep my home going would be near $30,000 and 2 Tesla Batteries would keep me off of the grid. Another $12,000 plus installation.

Oof!

What a difference in the seasonal use too.

This year, I burned up my surplus before January 1. Now that it is winter, I will pay full freight with minimal help from the solar panels. :cry:

99%

4 Likes

That is one sweet greenhouse @99PerCent. I’ll probably build one (for vegetables) next to the garden come springtime. For MJ growing in my state… add an 8’ chain-link fence topped w/barbed wire and 8’ wooden fenced-in yard so no one can even see into your yard standing at ground level.
I priced whole house solar @ $22K without Tesla. This summer our PSC (public service commission) made utility buy-back of excess power optional. You can guess what’s happening now.

2 Likes

I am supposed to have a 6" fence. I don’t!

yes i don’ think 8" fences are allowed here, would need special zoning, 6" maximum i believe. and of course those dollars are US so i’d pay 35% more just in currency conversion. odds are i’d end up paying double tho

1 Like

I’ll take 3 guesses, and the first two don’t count.

Raising Prices
Raising Fees
Creating new fees
using extra money to buy politicians
delivering marginal service for more money.

OK, how did I do?

99%

my guess is refusing to buy surplus power from people, if it’s optional

Are you talking electricity or growing? Your score is 83.3%. @legalcanada gets the rest (16.7%). If you combine both of your responses… you two nailed it. :smile: BIG _________ (fill in several blanks) are colluding to eventually force everyone to buy all their goods (food, utilities, drugs, healthcare, media etc.) from gov’t supported monopolies regardless of Country. Sorry to rant.

2 Likes

You are 100% Correct when referring to"Patients" w/growing privileges or “Caregivers” vs BIG _______ in Mi.

1 Like
2 Likes

Apparently, my Solar Panel company notice this too.

They called me up and want to add more panels to my roof, for free. :laughing:

It pays to burn tons of electricity growing, :confused:

3 Likes

Gtfo!

Congrats man. Lmao. Tried getting my mom solar panels but they determined her house doesn’t get enough light so they gave her a pellet stove instead.

Too many trees at my spot, they wouldn’t even consider solar panels unless we do some clear cutting

1 Like

Not in cali but running electricity.

1 Like

Not the highest in the US… (Central San Joaquin valley California)PG&E’s cheapest rate is currently : $0.34387 / kwh off peak and $0.38248 peak (5 p.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday)… They also have a tiered price structure which is overall even higher (unless you live in the dark) Oh and the plan to double that over the nex few years… (They are having to pay most of the property loss due to the fires they started, so they raised the rates to generate the funds) My grow costs were about $175 / mo. for my last grow, will probably be near double that for my next… I’ve been checking on solar, it looks like it would cost around $20K for a system that would zero out my home electrical bill… (Ouch)

Ouch! I feel your pain. In the U.P, we’re at $0.23/Kwh + tax. We’ve got the new digital meters now. No time of use charges yet, but, it’s coming :rage: Eventually, the meters will be able to network thru 5G, and control every smart appliance you’ve got, " to conserve power".

$20K is about right for solar, but I (you?) need wind power too. My “camp” is off grid. A propane fridge and a generator keep me comfortable, but I can’t grow indoors there.

I just couldn’t afford to grow at those rates shit. 11.53c/kWh got me hurting

I grow at night super off peak to keep my bill down. I think it’s something ridiculously low like 7 cents. I think all in my pumps fans and lights (1200w) I’m growing for $1.00 - $1.50 a day depending on the season.

There is now talk of “rolling block outages” this summer… I may be forced into solar, want it or not. If I were younger, it would be an easy decision, but I’m in my late 70s so there is no way I’ll actually see a ROI… If I put up a system that gives me a net negative energy cost, maybe I can dut off my GPU miners and recoup a little that way (if crypto comes back to life…)