Grow room cold how long can I leave my fan off?

Good point. Better safe than sorry.

I could. Certainly. But that part of the basement is about 11’ x 30’ and it might take quite a bit to warm up all that spae.

Does wind chill matter to plants?

1 Like

Dont forget the insulation.

You’re still going to be heating the basement area, but the insulation will help.

My tent is the same size. I was keeping that basement @55. I have carpet under the tent. I than laid down a sheet of plywood. On top of that I put the insulated flooring under lay with foam pellets in it. I also used a inlet fan too with pre filter. I set a oil sealed heater out side the tent next to the inlet fan. It heated the basement up some to but I was afraid of a heater in the tent.

The above only cost me $0 as it was stuff I had on hand. I would like to get much more automate as the guys above.

I am working on getting the HR under control now.

Outdoors, down drafting cold air is not nice to plants.

Having the tent insulated from the cold floor is a good start, but most of the heat will be lost out the top and sides. Tent fabric has pretty much zero R-factor as far as keeping heat in.

Cover the top, all sides, and door with some form of insulation and you will need far less energy to heat the tent. As I said above, even just a blanket will make a big difference as far as how fast the tent heats up and how much energy it takes to keep it warm. More is better though.

That is OK Larry! The top of the tent is inches from bedroom floor. It was all I could do to get cover over the frame.
I know what you say is very right on. Like losing 95% of your body heat out of your head and wearing a hat is a must in winter here :guardsman:

1 Like

Yeah. I hadn’t forgotten that. I will try the heater and exhaust first just to see what happens and add insulation if and as needed. I thought going the tent rout would be easier but I think I should have just done the same thing I did when I grew about 15 years ago: built side by side insulated closets. One was for the grow and the other housed the main res, ballast, air pumps, exhaust fan and misc.

2 Likes

You could do that for just a small extra cost over and above the insulation. A simple framework of 2x2’s with 1" or 1.5" foam insulation board tacked on the inside is all you need. Doesnt have to be structural at all. Put the insulation on the inside, then cover that with reflective mylar on the grow side and you have a grow room.

1 Like

Thank You for the update. I had one of these in my cart and decided to use what I had.

I’m still a novice at all this but when it started to get cold in my grow area i took the 25’ insulated ducting which was going out to the other side of the room and looped it back to my air intake vent so I have a somewhat closed loop system. That helped to keep the temperature more constant. It was still getting too cold in the nighttime so I added a temperature controller and 250W personal ceramic heater. Now my temps are much more consistent but I am starting to get too much humidity at night. I will be adding a humidity sensor/controller next and will add a small personal dehumidifier. Hopefully I won’t need a humidifier. I opted for the Inkbird ITC-308 for temp. Same control as the STC100 but has two plugs, one for heat & one for cool. Pretty foolproof. For humidity sensor I opted for the IHC-200. Once I have it set up I’ll let you know how it works. Gotta love grow room technology!

You’re going to want to run your fan 24/7 to kill smell. It will reek up your house in about 10 minutes if you turn it off when they’re later in flower.

I think your best bet is using a dimmer to slow your fan down so warm air can stay in the room a bit more. Make sure you get the right type, I believe its either a rheostat or a variostat but I really don’t remember.

If you’re going to use a heater put it in the room the tent is taking air from, not the tent itself… it’ll just get sucked out anyways.

2 Likes

but when the lights and the fans are off is there smell at all?