Grow tent-reflector sizes

Gonna be getting a 3x3 tent and looking for a hood right now. Question is, how much room do I need for an air cooled hood in a a 3x3 tent? Like can I get a hood 22.5" long, that would leave me about 13.5" to run ducting in and out of the light, which it looks like would be 6" flexible ducting… Any thoughts? TIA

1 Like

Back when I still used my HPS setup I used this in my 3x3 tent. It, plus ducting filled the tent with about a 1/2" room on the sides. http://greners.growlifeinc.com/i/grow-lights/hoods-reflectors/air-cooled-vented/sunleaves-arcticsun-6-air-cooled-reflector.html

Have you researched LED lighting. Could light up a 3x3 like a Christmas Tree.

Damn, that things just over 18" and you had no room hardly left. The hood I’m looking at is 4" longer. Was hoping I could bend some 6" flexible ducting at each end. Is that what you did, bend it? I’m thinking you must have bent one end at least, no? It’s tough trying to find short hoods.

Yeah I’ve started researching them, would love to try them, seems like it would be perfect for a small tent like this. Right now unfortunately, even the cheap one I have my eye on is out of my price range, so plan is to veg under a 250 MH that I have, than get a 600w LED to flower with when I got the money… Plenty of time, haven’t even germinated the seeds yet! :slight_smile:

My autos tent is 38x38, and the hood is 20x23, with 8" ducting. Here’s what it looks like:

Can’t complain really. Takes up about 1/4 of the vertical space but worth it if you run an HID

Ducting is a little pinched, but OK. 6" in a 36x36 would probably be just as tight, but workable.

3 Likes

Thks for the reply Happy. When you say 20x23 you mean 20 L? Just asking cuz I don’t usually see a hood wider than its length.And the hood I’m looking at is 22" L…

1 Like

I literally measured the dimensions of the bottom plate, like so:

Just happened to be feeding them :wink:

Edit: it’s hard to hold a wobbly tape measure and phone at the same time so numbers are not exactly accurate as shown, but it is 20x23.

Maybe 23x20? I dunno

One dimension is 20
The other one 23

:wink:

3 Likes

Thanks man! Looks like its 23 long. fwiw length is always the first number. so your hood would be 23 x 20. So looking at that, I think I should be able to make a 22.5 L hood work in a 3x3 tent with 6 inch ducting. Like you said it might be tight but hey as long as it works. And if you don’t mind me asking how big is your lamp in there, and what kind of yields you gotten with that setup?

1 Like

This particular tent is at 600W HPS. Last run was all fucked up and far from home, so I only got maybe 6oz? This one is looking like 3/4P, maybe a bit more. I’ll keep track and post when they all crop out. But two of the plants are kinda runts. If I ran photos from a proven mom 16-20oz should be doable, but half the fun was trying different things out.

I’ll try to make numbers orderly in the future - I’m pretty good with math, but pretty bad at communicating it :slight_smile:

Fuck grammar… any math geek is a bro of mine. Sister is a grammar teacher too. Sorry OP don’t have anything of value to add as I’m planning on building a cabinet soon. Let us know what you end up going with!

1 Like