Growing with Mr.Sparkle in 2022 : Spring/Summer

It makes them SPACEY’ER!
Which adds RAD factor. :+1:

2 Likes

threw the sensor on that side, yeah you likely called it

26-27c leaf temps at 50ish% rh

1 Like

Tried dropping the temp to raise the dew point and humidity in the process which it did except more or less wind striped the plants making it worse, and i had a flash back or two of running too cool and the plants essentially as you said getting sunburnt as they couldn’t cool themselves effectively.

So raised the temp set point instead which will reduce fan use so the plants can work at building up there own humidity that way before getting it stripped away.

6 Likes

Day 3 for the little ones, the others were perkier yesterday due to the higher temps i was running though they have since been dropped back down just to maintain the flowering plants i have in my other cab, also will be doing a light sterilization as could be some more or something causing issues really i need to pop a plant out to take a look.

17 Likes

Incredible use of space @Mr.Sparkle !!! And its soooo clean, Im afraid to open this thread in fear of leaving something out of place or god forbid have dirt on my shoes! Lol

Simply wonderful!

3 Likes

bah coco and water gets everywhere at time, just is easy and quick to clean up.

3 Likes

They did look like they were drying up. I get that a lot with small vegging plants, just last week for two of your twizzlers and a gelato auto. RH dropped to around 50% and they started curling a bit and that’s with me misting them regularly with a spray bottle. I fired up my ultrasonic humidifier a few days ago. RH is back up to around 65% and they are looking good :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Greetings Mr. Sparkle, I wonder if you would elaborate on how you do a “Light Sterilization?” I do a major sterilization of my entire grow room after each harvest, but I’m curious to learn a less draconian method usable with growing plants.

Respectfully,
-Grouchy

2 Likes

By light i mean i run a bit of sterilizing agent in my feed water whether bleach, calcium hypochlorite, h202 or whatever, i just find it can help keep any bad bacteria or say certain root issues at bay and when done periodically it seems to help, and im not trying to kill everything just keep it from flourishing as one observation is when say you do that on every res fill once something actually takes hold because there is no other competing bacteria or whatever its usually quite aggressive so more a live and let live though with occasional checks and balances.

… which is what i haven’t been doing so expected unexpected kinda hindsight now.

Space wise my cabs are usually pretty clean and my reservoirs get a quick brush scrub and their tops wiped down with just water every refill or two and if they are pulled out the floor of the cabs gets a quick wipe for any debris that falls beside the reservoirs, otherwise i dont actually do any end of cycle wipe downs or any of that really its more as a when required like thing, like say i let a whole lot of pollen loose a week before, or was drilling some hole or say i noticed the fans were getting dirty and needed a quick clean which is every 2-3+ months or longer.

5 Likes

Thanks, makes perfect sense.

Your setup looks so immaculate I was curious about your process.

My room is in a spider-webby basement, prone to all sorts of bad news, so I go overboard cleaning every time it is empty. More work, but I haven’t seen a Thrip or Spidey in over a year!

My latest weapon in that battle is a Germicidal UV Light Bulb that can fill the room with ozone. You leave it on 20 minutes, let the gas set for awhile then crank up the T-8 fan to blow it outdoors. Seems to kill Everything.

Regards,
-Grouchy

3 Likes

I knocked on wood for yah !

2 Likes

Gracias @Rabeats2093, good call that! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

They’ll get me sooner or later for sure.

2 Likes

Knock on wood myself, i havent seen a trip or spidermite in probably 12+ years, fungus gnats or spring tails thats totally different.

4 Likes

When I repot my plants with the tub of soil there’s …worms pill bugs centipedes and a bunch of other micro organisms sometime I see winged creatures lol …

Only insect I don’t like in the soil are ants
Besides the obvious

1 Like

Not to hijack this prestigious thread, but…
on that subject @Rabeats2093, the one “dirty” thing I bring into my “sanitized” grow room is my beloved soil!

I make mountains of magnificent compost soil for my orchard, filled with billions of biota large and small, red wigglers down to microbes. It is literally swarming with critters, and I welcome all of it into my recently-sterilized grow world.

What could possibly go wrong? It is a conundrum.

5 Likes

Day 6 for the little ones

So the little ones need and will get a transplant this weekend, of them two will be pulled just stature wise well one forsure. Two more in there have the lime green color to them which means to me they are expressing more on the DarkDevil side which isn’t what im looking for though ill keep them around for now as you never know.

As for the older ones, the light sterilizing feed water definitely helped they started perking up right after and looking at one plant i pulled there was definitely some root issues going on, so i will jsut follow up and do the same on the next refill as well, also run off on the now drinking plants is 0.15ec less than feed so im gonna increase the base feed level slightly as i dial in what i think they want.

Now im kinda on the fence with the older ones just due to the rocky ride so far, my goal was to get them growing pretty decent that way i can see their structure a bit better and then spray them to produce pollen and select gradually down to what looked the best to me, though in their current state its alot harder to gauge all that and quite a bit smaller than i wanted, so my thoughts are either continue on as planned and do my best, or use the young ones for that purpose and start another batch as intended mothers, though i just don’t know.

28 Likes

Day 8 for the little ones, i repotted them and thinned out the old ones my thought is just due to the initial issues that the older plants had they aren’t and probably wont be of a stature where i could really pick and select from them as to which ones i wanted as pollen donors, so the little ones will take their place for that purpose and i have started some more seeds. The 4 older one i left are the ones that popped out to me most though i don’t expect ill actually use them and they will probably be destine for the compost bin within the week.

No real big loss just a couple weeks time and for the right reasons at least to me.

23 Likes

Day 10 Moving along, should do a shuffle and fire up the autowaters for the round potted ones.

24 Likes

Day13/2

Took out the old ones and hooked up the auto waters yesterday to reservoirs of Jacks at a 1.3ec above tap which is 1.35ec.

So two of these will likely be removed as they are expressing more towards the DarkSpark side of the cross and thats not what im going after, the two plants being the one in the center and the one behind it which are easier to pick out due to the lime green leaf color which is dominant with the DarkSparks.

Im hopeful and positive with the remaining we will have quite a few candidates as pollen donors.

As for the new little ones and ignoring the center seedling the good majority of them seem to be expressing that DarkSpark side unfortunately which ill hold off till they get bigger before doing anything because of the that i started all of the remaining seeds from the one specific mother so some more should be planted in a couple days.

All just part of it.

28 Likes

Day 15/4

They’re growing and looking healthy.

Little ones also doing well i may pull the two laggards and the new tray i planted yesterday.

25 Likes