Growrilla Hydro RDWC

Hi Guys has anyone used the growilla hydro dwc r system? Looks unbelievable for the money!! Most other systems are twice the price! I was thinking the 4 pot set up under a 600 would be nice!! Anyone have any experience with growilla?

1 Like

Not knowing this brand, or any other brand making DWC buckets.

A good ruel of thumb!
If things seem too good to be true, they probably are.

Dunno if they are cheap, I looked at it and and here it’s 230€ for basicly 5 buckets, a pump, an airpump and PVC tubes.

Id be able to DIY, with same parts for much much less.
So id say, give them a try and report back.

If they suck, it’s fairly easy to fix and DWC buckets rock for growing weed.
Won’t be a total loss!

6 Likes

Never heard of them.
I internet searched and found their website. Seems long on Italian and short on prices.
And their push notifications requests stopped me doing any further research (considering they have more of a instagram presence than website presence). Any company(?) that desperate to get permissions, but can’t build a decent website, can’t have that strong a product imo.
I also couldn’t work out if they we’re trying to sell the dwc system, or the range of nutrients they sell or basil or whatever.
You can build a dwc system at home, for about 100 dollars. Depending of course, on if you need a chiller or whatnot.

4 Likes

Thanks guys, basically I’m an old school nft grower, been out the game for a while but back now and looking at what’s out there, dwc is the path I’ll be taking and being a plumber I know I could easily make this system in a few hours but for the price it seemed like a great kit and saves me time I don’t have on a build, but if anything was to go wrong dealing with a company in Italy could be hard work! Think I may 're think my plan and build a system… I will keep you updated on what I do and if I do decide to go with growilla i will do a full diary from start to finish! The system just stood out as a quality system and a sensible price

6 Likes

Yeah buying localy or at least from a local seller, would be easyer if something dosent work.
I can totaly follow your thourt about just buying something, that works from the start and save time.

But as a plumber, you shouldn’t have trouble sourcing grommits, some 2" PVC pipe and 5 buckets/tubs with a lit.

Being a old school aquarist, I have owned alot of air pumps. Get a large, quality air pump. They might cost a bit to get, but will last and run much more sillent. Cheap pet store pumps, tend to vibrate alot, making them humm and eventually break.

2 Likes

I think 600 is about 5x the cost you can get a full setup on amazon for. Its fish tank hose n pump with $4 home depot buckets basically. Diy probably well less than $100

1 Like

I’ve just bought an urban deep water culture 4 pot xl system (30 litre buckets) that I’ll be setting up within the next week or two. £189.99 check them out - https://urbandeepwaterculture.co.uk/

3 Likes

I think the 600 the OP is refering to, is a 600W light not the price of the DWC buckets.

2 Likes

Looks very interesting, thanks for sharing. Are you going to do a grow diary with this set? It will be more easy to me to follow your steps, cheers …

3 Likes

It won’t be a full on diary as such as I’ve just not got the time but I will 100% post weekly updates on how well they are working and give an honest opinion on the build quality etc. I’ve already got the seeds started in large rock wool cubes. Just need to get it all put together and some clay pebbles bought.

2 Likes

Cool! I suppose changing 75 liters of water must be a PITA, but they are clearly better than the ones of the OP, good choice. I run once DWC and it is less time consuming than soil, will keep an eye in your progress on this, cheers …

2 Likes

And far less mess unless you get a leak :laughing:

4 Likes

Yeah dude, if you are a plumber, then unless you got more money than god and don’t want to be bothered, DIY is the way to go… You get everything you want then and don’t have to put up with someone else’s design faults… One of my suggestions if you do is to use glass reinforced PVC tank outlets instead of the notoriously leaky tub outlets a LOT of even commercial DWC setups have…

I am thinking with your skills you could build something like this standing on your head and will save a shitload of money…

I plumbed my rez in… so one tap to top it up, refill or flush, and one tap to pump the rez to drain. Easiest thing ever.

6 Likes

Thanks for the input guys, you’ve given me the kick up the arse I needed lol I’ve decided to build a system myself, I think I can improve on what’s available, bigger buckets, heated adjusted nutrients, better flow, bigger buckets… I will do a full diary of the build for anyone who’s intrested, I may even go full on and put a timed dump back to the main res so the solution is always evenly distributed. Kind of buzzing to get it built now so watch this space!!! Thanks everyone!

2 Likes

Awesome… well if you are doing your own full build… instead of using an air pump/stones, which imho are the weakest link in this kind of setup… you could look at aeration using a ventruri inline static mixer like this:

This is how I plan to do it in future… I have replaced more airstones than I ever cared to… also my system is a little different to the pic of the one I posted in that the rez sits under the tubs. The pump sits in in the rez and pumps the water into an inlet on the bottom of the tub, and then an overflow outlet at the top of the tubs simply drains back into the rez. This setup means that all the water is circulated every five mins or so.

The only issue with this is that you need to put either a NC solenoid or low pressure non return valve on the pump to tub line so that if the power goes out for whatever reason the tubs don’t just empty with gravity into the rez, overflow the lot and make a mess.

Another option to consider is to plumb a small float valve in the rez so that it is automatically topped up… this is very useful to maintain consistent nutrient and PH levels.

1 Like

If you are in Europe, also check out Hydrogarden and their Plant It…

http://www.plantit-growit.com/product/59-planttsupr-sup-aeros-iv-master/

Comparable 1x1m 4 pot setup with 75l volume costs about roughly 150 EUR compared to 200 EUR Growrilla setup…

2 Likes

Also if you are thinking 1 plant per pot, I have found 30l to be about the sweet spot… 20l and the pots are 3/4 root mass by the end, and this makes circulation prone to blockage, much larger than 30l you end up wasting nutrients that don’t get used. With my two 30l and 75 litre rez setup, I only do a single nute mix per cycle… one for veg, one for flower.

1 Like

4 Likes

So I made one myself! 1000lph recirculating pump, 900lph 4 way air pump, 20l buckets, 32mm recirculation with 22mm return pipe, works an absolute dream!!! Cost me £90 UK, Can’t wate to get it up and running! I will keep you updated!!!

4 Likes

Champion effort mate, looks perfect and at the right price, can’t wait to see what you can produce with it!