Happy Hazing Of Atomic Variety With Bubbles *Now in COCO*

Starting this diary to document my first RDWC attempt, and my first haze.

My better half’s medical paperwork came through Friday and we are now fully legal for 15 plants, and in another month (thank you Canada) the household will be legal for four more, so YAY!

Having only wasted about 30 hours, just cut some babies off my friend’s Atomic Haze (Dr. Atomic) moms.
The veg space is full of autos at the moment, but i’m sure we’ll figure something out when it comes to propagation.

Wish me luck!

Cuttings ready, rockwool soaked, knife clean

Plugged

Hanging out in their future home under a snap-on work light propped up on the hood glass until roots take hold

Happy Saturday!

HH

17 Likes

Finally going to get to see if all that money SnapOn got from me over the years was worth it. Nice set up. Can’t wait to see the results!

1 Like

You know what my favourite snap-on tool is? A big-ass flat-head screwdriver. It has a 5/8" hex seat next to the handle so you can put a box wrench on it and really give’er hell. Or you can use it as a cold chisel… or a prybar! Sucker is made out of unobtainium – i’ve owned it over 15 years and still haven’t called in for warranty. This light is my second most favorite tool they make. Better deliver some roots.

I can’t wait either. Strain is fantastic (at least the way my friend grew it), and a new medium.

3 Likes

3 things they make I could never live without. Pry bars, pick set, and cordless impact. No one else’s I ever felt could compare. I like my IR 3/8 impact much better than my SnapOn but it didn’t come in a candy purple option. :joy: I’ll be following along to see how they do.

3 Likes

Have fond memories of Snap-On… my father owned a white pearl set forever. Granted, he almost killed me when I set fire to his limited edition Snap On Hawaiian shirt when I was 7, but c’est la vie.

6 Likes

I loved dr atomics haze!
Grew it out many times over the years.
I had one pheno that went 13 weeks

1 Like

That’s quite a while, thanks for the heads up! What would you say the average flowering time was on it? Did you notice any feeding particularities with these?

Good luck, i know you are feeling the bliss right now!

Enjoy!

Sci :robot:

1 Like

I sure am feeling the bliss, happy times :slight_smile:

Some cloning notes before I forget to write them down

Rockwool was soaked in Olivia’s cloning solution as per manufacturer’s recommended dosing. My friend had a jug, and he swears by it, so i figured “why not, eh?”.

I checked it and it came up to pH of 5.6, TDS 340ppm on 500 scale. Pretty much what i would have mixed up on my own anyways, higher in P, low N, low K

Clones are a mix of tops and lower side branches. We’ll see which ones root fastest. I only need 5, so there is a lot of room for error

Heat mat is set at 23.8C with a temp controller, a probe is inside a wet rockwool cube, so this is what the clones should be experiencing

6 Likes

10 weeks would be average. I grew it from seed and there was a couple different phenos.
I don’t recall anything out of the ordinary with them. They were real stretchy but that was to be expected

1 Like

This should be a good show. Got my bucket in the corner. :movie_camera: :popcorn:

1 Like

Magnesium thoughts -

When i took the clones on Saturday night, I have to admit, it was a little drunk out. I did not notice that the moms were a little low in magnesium. Today, i popped the dome and went “Shitballs. Purple streaks…Now what?”

But, apparently, magnesium deficiency does not affect root development:

I shall not worry and proceed as per SOP. Will report…

5 Likes

You bring up a very important point when it comes to cloning. Healthy mothers make for healthy cuts. I’ve had a difficult time getting less healthy cuts to root and recover, but it is still possible.

3 Likes

Can I ask what u soaked your rockwool in? I using it for the first time and I just soaked it in water then ph balanced it. I’m having problems germinating/sprouting a seed from the rockwool, so maybe I didn’t soak it right.

1 Like

@Sativaindica, there are details in post #9 of this thread. I am not sure if this solution is ideal for seeds though. And it’s my first time trying so the jury is still out, but pH and ppm looks correct.

I would try, assuming RO water, 200ppm cal-mag, and 'bout 100-150ppm of grow nute, no more. Also I give each cube a good shake to remove excess water so that there is some air in there. Not totally dry, but one good whack over the sink.

@ReikoX, yeah, I should have checked. Oh well, didn’t cost me anything other than a case of beer, which we both drank. Had i known though, i would have popped some beans. Hopefully they root. The Science says they will :wink:

4 Likes

Whoever said that watching a pot boil takes forever CLEARLY hasn’t tried waiting for clones to root. Everything else is ready to go… Bring on the bubbles. Girls, git’er done, eh?

8 Likes

Still waiting… 6 days since cut almost to the hour

But there is one thing I noticed – when airing the dome (about twice a day) and picking up the cubes to feel the weight and check for roots, the cube with the thermometer probe feels significantly heavier than all the other cubes. Which tells me that something’s happening here.

Been misting them with the same cloning solution as the rockwool was soaked in

The dome vents are open about 3/4 of the way now

Dialed back the temp on the controller to 23C target. Used to be 24.5C, which is strange because i checked earlier entry and I said it was 23.8C. I don’t remember changing it, but then again i don’t remember a lot of things…

2 Likes

Got some things done today. Thirsty Thursday too, so had some fun with it…

First up, we got some roots. That’s always good. 12 days from cut, 5 rooted. The others have roots somewhere in there, just not as extraverted. They have been without heat or dome for two days now, so the roots are definitely in the rockwool drinking, just too shy to poke out yet.

Got the system bubbling, kept the level a little higher than normal

Dumped the nutes in (cal-mag full strength, silica @ half strength, b-vitamins full, a+b @ half -strength), and what do you know? 420 ppm… pH’d to 5.8, took about 1ml of AN pH down for 66L of this concentration with a starting pH of 7.1

Got them cubes placed

Aaaaand they’re in. Moved the coco plants into the same space for now. No point in burning two lamps for this little foliage.

Overgrowing the tent one clone at a time…

Stay lit folks,

HH

12 Likes

3 days since transplant - no roots in net pots yet

I top-fed them twice the first day, then stopped. They have not needed any top feeding, so the bubbles are making their way, or there is enough in rockwool still.

Noticed res temp came up to 71 from 68. So I went ahead and insulated the buckets. Going to try and not buy a chiller yet, it’s getting colder, should be OK.

Tiniest little drying off of the leaf tips - probably fast transition/light/air. Cannot imagine this being nute burn - cloning solution was about 350ppm, and my dwc is at 420. Same also happening to all the clones that are out of the dome for 4-5 days now. 4 more rooted, so about 60% rate so far. I’m sure the rest will catch up.

Here’s what that bit of burn looks like – anyone have any opinions as to the cause?

HH

EDIT:
Forgot to log – gave them a foliar of magnesium sulfate at 0.25 tsp/L of water. Trying to get on fixing the deficiency that the mother plant had. Will proceed daily about 10 minutes before lights out.

3 Likes

That tiniest bit of dried-up leaf tips has piqued my curiosity… Keeping an eye on it. Probably just environmental factors, because the plants look otherwise quite good for freshly rooted clones in deep water without any top feeding. Could 0.9EC be too hot? I don’t think so, but crazier things have happened. I have spares though, will see what transpires…

After insulating the buckets temps are holding at a rock-steady 68.

6 Likes