Harvesting sativas

So
I’m growing my Cambodian Oaxacan cross and it’s going well. My Oaxacan from @Upstate finished in October and may have been a little over its prime.
I’m growing in central Oklahoma
The pistols are turned to brown and the trichomes look to be mostly milky with a few clear. None of the tricHSs are amber. Should I cut it down? It’s seeded bud

IMG_1319

19 Likes

When did yours start flowering? I’m near 36N and mine start flowering around last week August to first week September. They’re usually ready to chop by 2nd week October, but I’d think you want to take a pure sativa as long as you can, right up to the first frost.

7 Likes

I think around the middle of August
I know I let the Oaxacan go to ‘’mid October ‘ last year and they seemed a little more Stoney than I like
And seeds were dropping everywhere
My seeds aren’t dropping yet in these
I might just take em stages to see how they turn out

8 Likes

Look, i’m not a grower, but i read a lot. More amber color is what ppl always say. I think it’s like 70% before chop is what I have read. I’d like to see a couple more, larger, close up shots of that. I have had a lot of thai, and even more Oaxacan in my day, but not since the 70s. And seeds, r u growing just for seed, or also smoke? Nothing wrong w/smoking a bud that seeded out is there? I did that for decades.

4 Likes

Your description sounds about right.

Perhaps a better pic of a bud for reference?

Sometimes it’s a judgement call and clear/amber doesn’t apply.

8 Likes

I am by far an expert, likely the opposite of that. The clear/milky/amber method as far as I know is a pretty good indicator of how it gonna be. I have mostly used it as a guide for my harvests. Let em all go amber and presto you just made sleep medicine. In my experience anyway, could be wrong and have been many times.

5 Likes

For Sativas i would wait for 10 - max 30 % amber. More amber = more relaxation = less uplifting high. Since you have a seeded lady the effects may vary because she mostly uses her energy to ripen the seeds.

7 Likes

Yes I grow for seeds and typically give away lots on overgrow
I don’t want sleep
Meds I can grow indicate for that I like this for a day time high with the ability to go to sleep if I want. I may harvest in stages

9 Likes

12 Likes

When about 80% of the pistils have recited into the calyx’s, the buds will begin to swell up. Once swollen check your trichomes.

When growing for seed, don’t the seeds mature before the plant though? I guess only you will know the sweet spot for when to pull…

6 Likes

Thanks!
@CaptainRon
I had never heard that? I appreciate your input on that!
I’m gonna probably cut some off every weekend for the next theee weekend and keep track of the effects.
I just posted a big post about the Cambodian Oaxacan cross

2 Likes

Something I saw on Reddit some time ago.

And I’m sorry, I said 80% recited into calyx but meant when 80% of the pistils have turned brown, red, etc. they will begin to swell and recite into calyx

4 Likes

If your seeds have at least six weeks to mature, you are good to go. Milky/clear trichomes with sativas give a racy, clear energetic effect if that is what you are looking for.

7 Likes

Thank you for the close up pix.

Okay, bro, u right. I don’t want sleep either, and a couple of growers (who know wtf they’re talkin’ about) say less amber for a higher high, w/less sleepiness. I’m with that too.

2 Likes

For seeds 5-6 weeks after you pollinate.

3 Likes

Yes the seeds weren’t quite mature so I cut a few branches off the biggest momma and washed em and hung em up. They had brown pisti|$
The other plants didn’t have them
I will cut some more next week and the week after

2 Likes

I was horrified when I discovered that this is where we are at now. Harvesting weed that is way past prime, Unless you are looking for sleep medication… but that’s what Indicas are for😁. Some advice for you when it comes to amber resin. Don’t
Do it🤣
In the early books, buds were deemed finished when resin was full sized and clear, with only 25% of the stigmas died back. Amber glands were frowned upon, as it means cannabinoid degradation…thc turning into sleepy cbn.
The strength of indica lies in it’s ability to help relaxation and sleep. The strengths of a sativa are in its ability to give energy and strength :muscle:.

18 Likes

I most certainly get what you’re saying. I can’t argue, cuz i’m not that smart, but i’ve read ppl everywhere saying like 70% trichs is best. I also remember reading somewhere that if you harvest too early, with clear trichs, you’ll get a panicky high. I have had them many times. Last one being about 7 yrs ago when i got some maui wowie from a dispo and did about half a joint, and that was the end of that shit. Man i got panicky, and did not like it. But it’s been 7 yrs or so since i smoked that. Still have the joint and a half. We like being high, not sleepy, that’s for sure. That skunk emoji is meant in the best way.

1 Like

That surely is written a lot, but is not really a good advice.

As often here, there’s a good thread about that:

3 Likes

I don’t panic when I get high.

1 Like