Has anybody feminized seeds using Ethylene from Bananas...?

Anybody know about this…

https://books.google.co.cr/books?hl=en&lr=&id=LRTLBAAAQBAJ&oi=fnd&pg=PP1&dq=ethylene+banana+marijuana&ots=6GoIJjeQ8W&sig=Vjyl9U52N_2xfrGipwBvqdVuDKU&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false

No I haven’t. My understanding is ethylene interruption is how silver based treatments work.

However, off the top of my head I remember somebody talking about using ethelene products like BASF Epthlon?.. or something like that to reverse a male plant. I might be mistaken.

My memory is fuzzy on the subject.

2 Likes

Does anybody put their seeds with banana peels before gemination to try and encourage more females? There’s a lot of research on the effects ethylene on plants, but do bananas give off enough gas? Anybody have any experience with ethylene?

2 Likes

Let’s unify this and see if we get more replies bro!

1 Like

Sounds good sci-guy. I got a buddy from Texas that swears by the banana peel.

1 Like

I read a long time ago, cos’ i was always interested in banana peels as a source to encourage more females, but then that goes against the school of thought which claims that you can pre-sex the seeds by looking at the pod cavity on it. I dunno what to think, but i do believe nothing is impossible…

I’m not familiar with the pod cavity technique? Can you tell me more? Is it legit or wives tale?

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU_E8Ptlebo&t=265s

I know both can’t be true, so… I dunno. Cos’ they are either male or female, or you can influence the seeds to take a fem direction with ethylene but not both…

Ive heard of people reversing males with ethylene so they show more female traits, basically to show how a female version of the male :wink: Never heard of it being used to reverse a female though, as far as I’m aware the Silver solutions are used to inhibit ethylene production in the plant which is why they produce male flowers, adding more ethylene probably wont do a thing, may flower quicker. are you sure you are not thinking of ga3?

2 Likes

We could be confused, but i was talking about this…

https://books.google.co.cr/books?hl=en&lr=&id=LRTLBAAAQBAJ&oi=fnd&pg=PP1&dq=ethylene+banana+marijuana&ots=6GoIJjeQ8W&sig=Vjyl9U52N_2xfrGipwBvqdVuDKU&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false

1 Like

Wish I had the time to sit and read all that lol. I know Neville used to hit his males with ethylene when making selections for breeding, they then showed the female (X chromosome) traits carried in the genes :v:
Tbh I have not really looked into female seed production in quite some time but as far as I knew there are only a few ways to produce fem seed, ga3 (Giberellic Acid) , CS (Colloidal Silver), STS (Silver Thiosulfate Solution), stress or a full blown hermy lol, tbh most will achieve the same results, hermy crap lmao, STS would be my only choice if it ever came down to it :wink:

If you are talking about taking an already produced seed and using bananas to make it feminized then I don’t believe it, you might have a pack with 1 male in there and think its working then drop the next pack to find 9 males and 1 female, very random and I personally think its impossible to test, whos to say that all the females that show up were not females already? Ive bought packs of seeds before and not found males :v:

2 Likes

That video was really inconclusive. This isn’t the idea of creating fem seeds. This is the idea of taking regular seeds and through environment influencing more of them to be female. Specifically the theory is that exposing seeds to ethylene before gemination will influence more female plants. This technique works for other plants and is documented. So in question is 1) will this work for cannabis 2) since none of us have ethylene laying around will banana peels produce enough ethylene to work?

2 Likes

Personally I don’t think it would, see my last reply, I added it in there after I saw the question asked elsewhere on the forum, don’t know why that wasn’t moved over here? very misleading without the original question :wink:

This is the original question, it’s here. Just need to go back a few posts… :wink:

@FeralA9X

1 Like

@FeralA9X it would have to be tested and proven or debunked with thousands of seeds I’d say. I haven’t read the studies of the other plants they do it to, but it has been proven to be effective for other crops.

nice one mate, I missed it completely lol, too many bongs :v:

A good thing would be to experiment in extracting ethylene from bananas and have s more powerful source in order to influence the seeds better, the banana peels by themselvs might be a longshot!

1 Like

I remember this rumor and fad from way back, it was just bunk as from what little i remember of it banana’s didn’t produce enough ethylene to do anything and you had a heck of a lot higher chance of bringing in an unwanted pathogen or pest to your plants by doing so.

The whole stoner logic thing where one reads a bit of a study paper, and then links the influencing of sexual expression with the decomposition of banana’s ethylene production, so then throwing banana peels beside your plants to encourage more females became the rage.

But i believe it was all just here say and no substantiated evidence over multiple trails, don’t get me wrong if someone can prove it then i’ll stand corrected but im pretty sure it was bunk.

Just sorta like the seed dimple pictures and theory going around, reason being is one i tried it for giggles, and it was inconclusive for me, and two feminized seeds display both versions while all being female.

1 Like

Even if tested how could their results mean anything? every seed is different, might take 1000 and find 100 males, next 1000 batch 500 males, how could you then compare the results? then apply ethylene to the next 1000 and find 200 males. What I’m saying is how do we know those 200 seeds were not destined to be male? how can you change a chromosome pair from XY to XX? hey a crazy question if it does actually work, do they still then carry that male chromosome? are they then more prone to throwing male flowers? tbh trying to change the sex of something is a recipe for disaster down the track imo, especially if thinking of using it for breeding :v:

You got to watch out for those Texans, they like to tell tall tales!

3 Likes