🧊 Hash Room Build

The Coolbot has been installed and tested in the room. I’ve taken the room as low as 45F so far, I’ll see how far down I can push it this week.

Since we’re getting ready to run I went ahead and setup the Harvest Right and ran the initial vacuum test. Just under 7 minutes and we made it to <500 mTorr.

Everything in our process has been optimized for quality – from the cold room, 35 degree water, insulated equipment, and the #1 quality booster – the freeze drying process. I’ve taken the knowledge Pedro has provided and recreated the system here, with my own optimizations to simplify the SOP.

Next weekend, Saturday the 5th we’ll be going live on Twitch showing off the complete process. We have around 4lbs of fresh frozen bud waiting to wash, and if all goes well (and depending on time) I’ll also wash some of the 50+ jars of cured bud we have on the shelf as a comparison.

Fun times ahead!

11 Likes

I did the initial “bread run” with the freeze dryer to clean out any “new car smell” from the unit before running the hash. There’s no denying this thing gets extremely cold.

My unit actually gets down to -86F but that’s when the heated trays come on to start the sublimation process, so it doesn’t stay that low for long and I couldn’t get a pic in time.

Tonight I plan on moving the mother plant from the veg tent into flower and that will let me kick on the Coolbot and start bringing the hash room down as cold as possible to prep for the run on Saturday. Weather looks like it’s going to cooperate this weekend too which will help keep the temps nice and cold.

Don’t forget to check us out on Twitch on Saturday, we will be processing hash most of the day and possibly into Sunday.

6 Likes

unfortunately this is the weekend I’m at the contest. You can jot down numbers or record it? I’m just interested in comparing notes on yields and quality.

What is twitch name? Sorry if I missed it

1 Like

Everything will be documented.

SuperiorBuds420 on Twitch. You should be able to click on the embedded Twitch above and it will take you there, even though it’s broken looking. Stream is live 24/7 w/ multiple garden cams and switches over when we go live.

4 Likes

Spent most of the day yesterday live on Twitch washing. I did 4 washes of ~100g of trim as my first test and then went in for 5 washes of 280g of buds.

I was super tired (and super stoned) by the time I was done and didn’t take pics of the hash before it went into the freeze dryer, but it’ll be coming out soon and I will take some photos after the first run is dried.

We ended up with 3 freeze dryer trays full. (Trays are 7.5" x 18".) 2 1/2 were premium 45 micron hash and the rest is from the 160/220 for edibles. I am not sure on yields yet, but I will know more once the dry is complete.

I learned a lot, even after prepping for a few months there were small details I hadn’t thought about until we were in the middle of washing. A few more modifications today to the washer and buckets, then I’ll be washing again on Monday to finish the rest of the fresh frozen and hopefully jump into the jarred buds too so I can compare.

6 Likes

The hash is done drying and looks incredible. Perfect sandy texture and it literally started melting while I was taking these pics in a 60F room. Here’s 2 of the 3 trays after drying.

I did a little test w/ a bowl topper and the taste is great – so many terps. Can’t wait to press this tomorrow now! I will be washing again today doing the last of the fresh frozen and moving onto the jarred/cured buds after that…

15 Likes

Do you save past lives on twitch?

I don’t unfortunately and I also have clips disabled. I had to change to this after the DMCA strikes started going out since I have background music playing.

1 Like

How long does it take to freeze dry and how much does it hold :thinking: I thought these things were like 10k

Tag me next time you go live I would love to watch

1 Like

The cycle takes 32-36 hours total. I have the Harvest Right Medium Home unit and it holds 4 trays, each 7.5" by 18". For this model you’re looking around $2700 but it’s one of the biggest factors in final quality. I will end up with zero water content, meaning once I press I will be able to store long term with no fear of mold.

5 Likes

Have you tried putting any flowers in it?

1 Like

No, there’s not much info out there on freeze drying flower and w/ the cost of running the unit I don’t think it makes much sense. It’s not a lot of money (a few dollars at most) but that doesn’t include cost of an oil change after each cycle and wear and tear on an already expensive machine.

If I’m doing bubble hash I will quick-dry in 7 days and then buck the buds off the stems, bag them, and then toss into the freezer. If I’m doing smokable flower I’ll slow dry for 10-14 days at 60F/60% and then trim and jar.

2 Likes

Ok now I understand why they had 3 different pump options I saw a pic of some freeze dried buds that looked like live flowers still on the plant

2 Likes

The new Low-Temp press arrived today, just in time to get broken in with some fresh hash.

If timing works out I will get everything setup tonight on the workbench, bring the temps back down into the proper range for working with hash, and get some hash rosin flowing.

8 Likes

Hope it turns out absolutely awesome man :smiley:

Hadn’t had much of a chance to press, but I did get around to knocking out a small batch tonight. I wish I had taken more pictures but I was rushed for time, baby keeps us going these days.

This is 10 grams of hash from my 3rd and 4th wash, put through an ice cold stainless sift sieve, then triple-bagged in 25u, 25u, and 160u Rosin Evolution bags. Finally it was pressed at 165F for 3 minutes on my new press.

We came away with 7.2 grams of really tasty rosin. This probably won’t last through a cure, but I’m fine with that. I still have over 100 grams of hash to sieve and press and I haven’t even got to the good stuff yet.

16 Likes

Your attention to detail is impressive and Im sure shows through in the final product. Once the Rosin is pressed whats the cure process like? I see a bunch of different textures and consistencies out there and wonder what the general consensus is about what to shoot for. Or is it totally personal preference?

2 Likes

We jar it up in 1g or 3g jars and then it’s stored in a minifridge at 50-55F for at least a month to cure. (Though I did take this first batch and just started smoking it haha.)

5 Likes

Ive heard people like to cold cure. This is in a sealed jar, correct?

2 Likes