Hazeman White Grapes - Second flowering round with clones

Well my patience lasted about 18 hours. Now they’re in a good place to stretch vertically; the left plant had leggier lowers, so I could leave a lot of leaf in place without blocking the key sites.

Righty has a ton of growth sites, but they’re denser and not developing vertically yet. Now I’ve got her cut way back and stitched into the net, I’ll just let her go and hopefully the tips will pace nicely with each other now that everything had even light exposure. I was worried that righty was going to end up with a ton of stunted nodes and therefore not fill the screen, so I wanted as much leaf out now as possible.

I also realized the runoff from my feed is super high, like probably mid 7’s.

This is likely due to the amendments I put in, so I’ll remember that going forward this mix won’t play super nicely with hydro in veg. I will feed them a bit more acidic mix for a while and see what that looks like.

4 Likes

Reinforces my sentiment that lefty is the keeper phenotype of the two, if I had two of that clone instead of righty here, I’d probably just flip to flower and let them stretch into the light on full boogie. As it stands we’re still babysitting righty… :unamused:

My friend grew righty recently and the buds were about double the size, hencey curiosity in growing her this time.

2 Likes

Okay, all done shaping the plants, ready to flip to flower once lefty recovers from the defoliation I did on Sunday. Tops are 27" to the light at the closest, so I’m thinking we’ll stretch about 8-10" from here and finish in the 15-18" range, maybe a bit closer. That’s probably not enough space to run the light pegged at 100%, so I’ll play with the dimmer to keep them happy. Right at about 60% on the knob right now, not sure on intensity… should probably pony up for a PAR meter sooner or later.

3 Likes

Did a little experiment yesterday where I put the light on 100% to see if they would get visibly yellowed from the intensity. They did, which leads me to think this light might honestly be too much for the space!

Either way, I dialed back down to like 70% and they seem to be happier this morning. Added another layer of trellis and broke the necks of some spindly tops that were stretching to give them a nice supercropped knuckle to build from.

When DLI goes down in 12/12 the light intensity issue should mostly resolve itself. Probably going to flip them on Jan 1st.

5 Likes

Alright, timer on 12/12 starting tonight. I’m hoping the decrease in DLI will do the trick to green them up nicely. Looking for a mid-March finish meaning this should be ready for 4/20/2022.

4 Likes

Morning of Flowering day 3, three nights of 12/12 so far and they’re already showing that they’re happier at this DLI. All the odd yellowing is gone and they’re far more turgid than they were under 19/5. I barely ooched the dial up on the light, it’s at 70% by position but it seems like they’re mostly on “full” here as turning it further doesn’t seem to get brighter according to my perfectly calibrated PAR sensitive eyeballs, lol.

5 Likes

Flowering day 5. Did some leaf fluffing and arranging to keep fans from laying flat on each other and getting wet.

Still feeding full strength veg brew, will shift to less nitrogen when stretching ends.

Fan speed controller is keeping temps under 82 farenheit, RH is set to 65% and it’s exhausting most of the time at speed 7/10. I’m considering lowering it to 60, but doubt it’ll be able to keep up. Will consider a dehumidifier for flower if I can’t maintain 55% during the winter with the heat drying us out.

4 Likes

Glad they are doing a bit better. Upset plants can take a while to recover and kick back in sometimes that’s for sure. They are starting to pump along pretty good though :+1:

1 Like

Yeah, this is definitely a grow where I learned about excess DLI in veg…

Day 7 of Flower

4 Likes

I might need to talk to my therapist about why I like removing leaves so much…but hopefully this is it for a while. This maintenance exposed a ton of lowers and will hopefully keep the airflow between leaves acceptable.

2 Likes

I also watered heavily today with a lower pH than normal and only some FloraBlend ferment and SLF-100 enzymes. The goal here was to get a nice flush before I move the fertigation recipe over in a Bloom direction. The plants haven’t been giving as much runoff as I would have expected so far this grow, so I wanted to get some salts out of the medium to prevent weird things with nitrogen from potentially happening. I’ll probably give them a bit more of that flushing feed in a few hours and then give normal fertigation starting tomorrow.

1 Like

New formula for fertigation starting this morning:

3 gallons tap water
1.5g Epsom Salt
12ml FloraMicro (5-0-1)
30ml FloraBloom (0-5-4)
12ml FloraBlend (.5-1-1)
6ml Floralicious Grow (1-.7-.6)
add
The FloraBlend is basically a fermented extract and the Floralicious Grow is protein hydrolysate and sea kelp with humic acid from leonardite. The plants generally seem less finicky when I add these to the base nutrients, I just have to drop the Floralicious so I’m not giving too much N late in flowering.

1 Like

Day 10 of 12/12, aka “What deleafing??”

7 Likes

Flowering Day 12, they’re drinking 2-3L each per day right now, a surprising amount to be honest. I’m having to give a lot more fertigation than I’d expect in order to get runoff. Taking this as a good sign!

Tips are 18-19" from the light at the closest right now.

4 Likes

Day 14 of flower, tops are now within 17" of light at highest point.

6 Likes

3 Likes

3 Likes

Day 16 of flower, heavy defoliation for airflow and light penetration.

6 Likes

Day 19 of Flower, they’re drinking very heavily and starting to show first signs of getting that sweet sweet frost!

Current fertigation is 2-3 liters per plant daily, recipe is:

3gallons tap water
0grams Epsom salt
12ml GH Micro
30ml GH Bloom
12ml GH FloraBlend
3ml GH Floralicious Grow
2ml GH pH Up

pH is in the low-6’s at this formula, going to keep an eye on the plants as they approach the end of stretch then cut back on the Floralicious Grow to keep an eye on nitrogen. This strain did well adding 1gallon of water to the above recipe late in flower to reduce EC, so I’m also watching for signs of tip burn to start diluting the feed by an additional 30%.

The plant on the right is about 11.5" from the light with intensity set to 100% all-the-way-to-the-right on the dial, which amazes me. Independent PAR testing of this light puts that somewhere in the 1200-1500ppfd range, especially in the rear corner of the tent where the reflective material is on 2 sides. This strain definitely is handling the intensity well, but I’ll keep an eye on the top nodes to make sure bleaching and discoloration don’t become a major issue. That said, if I can keep the light on full-send and keep the canopy clear, I’m in store for some majorly yummy mids and lowers as the intensity is supposed to be about 1000ppfd around 20" from the light.

2 Likes