Help choosing tent size for QB 550s

What would be a good tent size for veg? I bought 2 550 qb for veg and 4 for flower. I figure my flower tent will be 8x8 to get max light usage (correct me if I’m wrong) and I was thinking a 4x8 for veg? I’m not sure if that seems reasonable. I’m looking to find a flood and drain system for both tents doing LST with a perpetual grow, and yes I have plenty of time on my hands lol also wondering about some good side lighting options if need be.

Very nice! If you hadn’t pulled the trigger already on the light I’d say to look into diy. You could grabbed the approximately the same to the 4 hlg 550’s for 1,050$. I’m going to run 16 boards (112 watts a piece) in a 6.5x6.5 foot tent. That will give approximately 7,000 lumen per sq ft (sorry my brain still works in lumen). Which will give optimal growth, you can go lower but I wouldn’t suggest by much. Personally I’d just use the one light for veg and 5 for flower. Really just depends on how long you plan to veg and if you’ll be doing a rotating crop.

1 Like

Yea how does that work I see guys building there own boards but idk any of that works it’s hard to get answers sometimes and if it’s a big difference I can return the order I just ordered them today and I’d much rather put a straight ceiling of led panels if I could?

4 Likes

Plenty folk on here are building lights and most are glad to help others so just ask away. Also plenty sites online like led gardener that have info on building your own rig. Good luck bro :thumbsup:

2 Likes

Thanks it can get overwhelming and frustrating at times not knowing where to start and I’m trying to buy everything for or around black Friday to get the deals on everything so it’s time sensitive for me.

1 Like

I just made an order from hansion and over all very happy with them. They have kits avail that come with everything including a meanwell driver. Also if you want to save more $, a company called easton makes drivers. They can be found on ebay and two models you might be interested in the apr48-3g is 93% effecient with 220v input, 1800 watt output, that’s factory set at 54 volts (can be adjusted) and is sold for 80$. Also the have a higher efficiency model that’s 96% and 2000 watts for about 300$.

1 Like

Damn you always make me second guess myself lol I’m looking for top quality not quantity tho so if the hlg will produce better nugs in the end then that’s what I’d want. Also they are 20% right now so I didnt pay full price

Well if you want top quality that would be the v2 boards with lm301b chips. They’re the newest chips available from Samsung with I believe a 5% higher efficiency (I’ll double check that).

Right on then would you know anything about how to make a ceiling flush with LEDs just all lights across the top? It would have to be a diy thing but I have no idea what to look for tbh

This is your best bet if that’s what you want https://m.alibaba.com/product/60757898926/Meijiu-Led-Plant-Grow-Light-Samsung.html?spm=a2706.7835515.1998800312.24.10376ff43P8EZs

Well shit that’s downgrading tho to class c what do you think about the boards I ordered is it not gonna be enough for some sticky nugs just for now at least for now? It’s just kills me inside to downgrade (I hate myself sometimes :rofl:)

Class c? I love when guys make up bs to sound like they know something.

I think its talking about the driver?

the driver pictured was an A type … HLG-240H-C1750A ,… but just so youre aware it’s the exaxct same diodes, and HLG orders their fixtures from these same chinese manufacturers … their “USA made” boards cost 2x as much as their chinese made boards, and their chinese boards are ~4-5x the price as ordering yourself from china

but to answer your question about coverage … i’d say a single HLG 550 could veg a 4x4 or 5x5 and flower a 3.5x3.5 … their website says flower a 5x5 but tbh 20w/sqf seems pretty low … i run my 4x QB304s at ~650-735w in a 4x4

I dont like the way you say could lol I want to grow some premium nugs and in want every aspect of the grow to be perfect which takes me back to my original question, I know what hlg says itll cover but obviously that’s not the most effective for the plants. I wanted to run the 4 flowering lights in a 8x8 running at full power. I guess I’ll just have to get my hands wet and find out I just want to waste or not buy something while it’s cheaper but oh well if it happens it happens.

And I noticed ‘HLG’ on a lot of these drivers which I thought it was for horticultural lighting group but now I’m sure that it means something else seeing it on different brands?

no the HLG drivers are made by Mean Well and were around first, i think horticulture lighting group probably chose their name the capitalize on the popularity of the existing drivers

1 Like

My grandad drilled it into my head you get what you pay for and honestly mostly thats how it is with things and I’m not rich so I try to save a couple extra bucks to buy something nicer doesn’t always work like that but it usually is even if you’re paying 10x the price for a 10% quality increase that’s just how I think and i can be stubborn sometimes…

And a lot of ppl dont want to bother with a n00b like me which is anywhere you go but not for long!

Do those come with a heatsink