Help me to make best environment for seedling

Do you let the soil dry ?
When is perfect time for seedling to stay in sunlight?
Is better to keep them under artificial light for first 1 week?

7 Likes

With babies/seedlings (I consider them babies until their second set of true leaves come up) I prefer the soil damp but not soaked (I water by spraying the soil with a bottle I spray clones with) zero nutrients until at least the first true leaves but I wait much longer. I have run on 24/0 and 18/6 with great success but I much prefer 18/6 as I believe they truly benefit from some downtime/dark . And I don’t uppot until they have significantly outgrown their first pots/cubes etc and roots are in absolute abundance

10 Likes

As for artificial light you can keep them under led/hps/mh/t5 as long as you would like (I prefer starting them under artificial) and then slowly acclimate to the outdoors or even just set them right in sunlight from artificial, usually you’ll see a difference within a day or two. Be sure not to overlove them with too much water/etc. it’s a common mistake and around here we like to recommend LITFA (leave it the F!$! alone)

7 Likes

Great info thanks
I use clasical nutrient non branded
When you suggest me start using nitrat

1 Like

My rule for everything young : clone or seedlings. YES. One big saturated watering when transplanting and “onward to the desert” one time. Medium have to be light when you lift it. I even do it for large plants transplantation in fact.

24/0 if you’re in hurry to see the first set of nodes (like always for me). It exist a popular opinion that night is beneficial for root mass of young clones/seedlings. It’s totally the reverse in practice.

It can be beneficial yes, but for a bunch of others things and that mostly depend on further parameters (transplanting stress, their numbers, extended veg time, hormonal development, is it a future motherplant or not etc …).

It’s a gain of time but the shock of transplanting outdoor with will be bigger. The dynamic of a seed that have grown directly outdoor is hard to beat, in another hands to have quickly a strong plant barely overfert in K and root boosters before transplanting is more than practical.

I think it exist a sweet spot where the plant get its first 3 nodes (better when you can see the 5th in my opinion). So i will say that only one week is not specially beneficial, all taked in count.

2 Likes

They are alredy in small cups
Under a led light 18/6 cycle
Not formed firs true leaves yet
I will make a late transplant bcs is autoflowr
I think from next week to start giving them a hour of sun in afternoon or in early morning

2 Likes

To be noted they are doing prety good its only day 5 from germination

If they are planned for outdoor, give them at least 0.06 gal / a quart of liter of medium in larger cups (not specially with more height than this cup) . Hemp (yes, i say the H word) dig fast and strongly (but not as deep as pure sativas for the extreme opposites).

Look good and nice color, make it fat ^^

1 Like

Yes they are planned for outdoor… thanks for information and the time :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Let the soil dry between waterings. Gradually introduce seedlings to sunlight. Artificial light is good for the first week

1 Like

What about the cup im using is bad that they are transparent and the roots on the side will be exposed to light?

1 Like

It will work but you are correct, a clear cup is not a good choice. Put it inside of another cup that isn’t transparent. Or wrap the current cup with any tape or paper that isn’t clear.

2 Likes

good idea thanks

Yup, total darkness is the way like say Greenup.

The least thing you want is this o²-hungry algae forming in the seedlings pots. It produce “real root bounds” too, the plants struggle itself in making secondaries root inside the initial “core”, over to produce new on the perimeter that are renewed/hardened off.

But … remember : you have to use more large cups (and not specially more deep) considering the strain you’re using. I mean, ASAP ^^

If that is an auto flower I’d suggest transplanting to its final pot soon. Once the tap root hits the bottom it might trigger it to flower…. Just a thought …. peace

1 Like

Exactly what he said :point_up:t2: I just read you said it’s an auto, uppot to its final pot immediately, once roots come into contact with walls it will induce autoflowering

2 Likes

What pot to use for final pot ?
They have root on the edge now but to small for repoting …they are growing so fast

1 Like

I’d go with a 5 gal pot personally, the taller the better imo

1 Like