Help with deficiency

Did you use strips or a pen to measure the pH? Strips can be inaccurate from +- 0.2-0.5. Combine that with the slurry test that didn’t use distilled water and your accuracy could be way off.

Just taking stabs in the dark. Good luck!

2 Likes

Turns out I have some distilled water in my closet. I’ll get another reading in a bit

1 Like

For sure… cuz it def looks like a ph problem if it isn’t over watered

1 Like

Okay, I did a better job with the slurry test. Test strips are obnoxiously hard to read, but it looks more like 5.75-6pH

My grow bible lists 4 possible causes. Heat stress, potassium deficiency, ph problem (lock out) or root rot.

1 Like

I’m with @toastyjakes , get your pH dialed in and they should straighten out. You need to raise your pH. Looks like you’re about due for a transplant, throw some dolomite lime in the mix and it will solve the majority of your problems

1 Like

Thanks! I have a pH pen on the way, and I picked up some Earth Juice Natural Up.
The Earth Juice is potassium bicarbonate, and their instructions are completely useless.

Anyone know off hand how much to add per gallon?

They are most certainly ready to repot. 4+ weeks of veg. I’m waiting to see their junk:)

I’m not a fan of the Earth Juice pH stuff. I tried it and it didn’t work for me. I use the AN pH gear. It’s highly concentrated, so it takes very little, and stabilizes quickly.

Studying your thread you’re basically in a mix of Subs super soil and edna’s potting mix with the majority of the mix being edna’s? There could be a reaction going on between the two mixes dropping the pH. Hard to say what exactly the cause is without all the information.

What kind of mix are you transplanting to? I will add this again, consider adding dolomite lime. It doesn’t take a lot and a huge bag is pretty cheap and usually available at larger garden centers. Though possibly not in the off season.When you add dolomite lime to the mix it adds a little cal mag to the mix and also acts as a pH buffer for your soil putting your plants in the correct range to feed on the vast majority of all they need.

1 Like

@Undead-Toker
Thanks again!
I do have some dolomite, I can definitely water some in. The Earth Juice was meant to be a quick solution to get things back into range. It still has the safety seal on it, so I can still bring it back to the store:)

I was under the impression that dolomite takes quite some time to release any nutrients. Would watering in, say 1/4 tsp per pot start turning things around?
Should I add baking soda for a quick boost?

My super soil was getting rain in the barrel, and ended up holding a lot of water for quite some time before I drained it. I wonder if I flushed out some of the good stuff. I certainly will be adding some more dolomite to the soil after this experience!

My suggestion for the dolomite was for adding into your mix when you transplant, which your about due for anyway. Yes it will take a little for it to activate but as they grow into the new mix things should balance out. You probably did have a lot of stuff leech out on you from the rain.

2 Likes

I believe I found the issue. The Subcool super soil recipe on the High Times site had me add about 1/8 of the dolomite of just about every recipe I can find.

Does this site have a swear filter?:rage:

2 Likes