Hermies and seeds

Ok so I’m still a little new with growing but have had a question that’s been pressing me for a while. I’ve always been told that hermies will only produce more hermies when it comes to seeds, but have seen somewhere that it depends on if the plant hermied from stress or genetics. Had a buddy who had his whole crop hermie out from stress( the plants were all clones, and the mother planted they came from are healthy strong females that I’ve seen produce plenty of amazing plants off of.). Dont really know much about breeding so figured I’d just ask. Curious as to whether it’s worth keeping the seeds I’ve found or if their right about it being pointless unless I wanna grow more seedy bud.

2 Likes

depends on if the hermie gene was already active. All cannabis has the possibility to herm, some at really really low probability, some at higher. If a plant has hermied and made seeds from itself without using STS/Giberrilic acid, etc… then the progeny will have a higher chance than normal to herm.

7 Likes

Once you see a hermie, try to avoid breeding with that line altogether. It will likely be a recessive trait in all related off-spring, even if they do not show hermie themselves.

Just my advise.

10 Likes

I was just talking with my buddy a few minutes ago and I guess there had been a cross pollination issue that happened from another grower who had hermies and males bloom in his room. He had messed with his own plants and then gone to my buddy’s room without changing into new clean clothes or taking any safety precautions. I’ve seen multiple runs of clones of the strains he has and have never seen any issues like this from them

1 Like

Thinking we found why it happened (above post) and didnt plan to try breeding them only meant for planting and growing

Grow Em out! What’s worst that could happen? Have to sort through a few seeds?

These genetics could end up surviving a long time, which they shouldn’t.

Feed them to pigeons and work with trusted genetics.

Cannabis growers need to act like responsible farmers too.

9 Likes

That’s my thought too. All these plants that are feminized…yuk! Thats code for hermaphrodites…bad. Who knows what will set them off…now you got more bad seeds…i say breed them to a known male and get rid of those traits. Or clones that are true breeding…none of this feminized stuff. Im not sure about the autos yet not enough info. Look at it this way…you spend time money risk for some people to end up with seedy weed. errr My suggestion start with male and female seeds…only my 2 cents. i would never knowingly start feminized seeds unless i planed to breed them with a desirable male plant! One pollen sack can ruin the whole crop…