High male ratio

There can be some mothers that produce more female seeds it seems. I am growing some Everyday Haze from @lefthandseeds and got 11 females out of 11 seeds. They were in the same conditions I got 4 out 5 Sour Dragon Breath males, with one still undecided.

Maybe genetics have something to do with it, but I do not believe grower or environment do.

3 Likes

Hereā€™s an answer from dubi at ace seeds about a very similar question. I asked him a while back about strains that hold higher percentages of males as it was the only way my theory could work is if you found the polar opposite to the very high female ratios and I figured heā€™d have had alot of exposure to many many strains done in larger quantities. Again from me itā€™s just a personal theory and I have no proof.

Hi,

Yes, i think i commented previously the growing variables that affect female/male ratios in regular seeds. When the regular seeds are reaching their sexual maturity:

• Excessive nitrogen produces more males
  • High temps produce more males, cooler temps more females
  • Plants get rootbound more males, plants have enough root space more females.
  • Crowded gardens produce more males, seedlings grown with enough space between them produce more females
  • Outdoor seeds planted late in summer produce more males, earlier in spring more females
  • Long photoperiods produce more males, shorter photoperiods more females
  • Lack of water or nutrients during sexing produce more males, the right amounts of water and nutrients more females
  • Plants abused during seedlings stage with stress (excessive pruning and other stress) tend to become male more frequently, properly attended seedlings produce a higher female ratio.
  • Lack of proper ventilation in indoor rooms produce a higher male ratio, well ventilated indoor rooms produce more females.
  • Yellowish HPS light spectrum produces more males, whiter-bluish light spectrum more females.

Usually tropical pure sativa landraces like Thais, Soth Indians, Colombians, etc ā€¦ produce a very high female ratio, although sexually firm males can be harder to find.

Most of our sativa strains (standard/regular releases) of tropical origin produce a high female ratio. Hope it helps.

5 Likes

Hey @mndlss. Hope Iā€™m not derailing anything. Felt this was applicable to your thread and is a part of cultivation that has always fascinated me.

From the numerous studies (theyā€™re out there if you look) Iā€™ve stumbled across online over the years and hands on exp killing seeds, that list looks pretty accurate. My broscience speculation is that the impact of those conditions can influence subsequent generations as well. We have environmentally triggered genetic switches why not plants?

Part of what makes this interesting to me is that there are so many factors involvedā€¦some of which we have yet to discover. Heckā€¦the ether could be an influenceā€¦under the right moonā€¦with the right constellations in placeā€¦meditating on the infinite luminosity of allā€¦waitā€¦crapā€¦whereā€™s my bones and beadsšŸ˜†

There is evidence that suggests sex ratios of dioecious wind pollinated plants (non cannabis) being influenced by overall pollen load. Heavy pollen tube competition somehow pressuring for high female ratios in resulting offspring. I know, not cannabis, but still food for thought. Would be nice to know if we could alter sex ratios by simply adjusting the pollen load.

Mndlssā€¦were your pollinations fully loaded or partial? Not saying that is a factorā€¦just curious. Did they experience any of the stress factors listed above?

And lastlyā€¦the most important factor of allā€¦the crystalsā€¦were they pointed towards the father(the sky)ā€¦or the mother(the earth):laughing:

4 Likes

by the time pollinating the qi had a slightly disturbed flow in the back left green area due to my sideboard facing north and standing a little off to the doorā€™s direction :smiley:

I did a partial pollination meaning getting the plant our if th tent in another room putting the load on the buds with a brush and then spraying it afterwards with regular water. the male itself flowered on the windowsill in the bathroom.

since I had different outcome with other crosses in the same environment Id rather cross that out as the answer to that ratios. since Iā€™m growing organic and donā€™t use mineral fertilizer (except a little cal-mag dose from time to time because led) and dont overdo organic bottled ferts either that could be a possibility. hmā€¦

1 Like

We should rename this thread the ā€œbro science of fem seed making.ā€ Lots of hypothesis with no scientific studies to back it up.

3 Likes

I think dubi from ace seeds is a luny. Lol. So pretty much according to him anything we do as growers will effect the male to female ratio. I hate to say it, but some people should lay off the dope man. Lol

5 Likes

To be fair I only used his quote as it listed most of the points well but this is quite a widely discussed and observed ā€œphenomenonā€ these points are also applicable to reducing stress and reducing hermies and we all know plants can become hermies through stress.

We should give him a little bit of credit as Iā€™m sure heā€™s seen his fair share of plants being grown, but I do agree itā€™s very time consuming difficult to try and prove these points but they have been observed by multiple growers for many years so donā€™t discount them completely.

2 Likes

Prohibitionists have used the ā€˜no scientific evidenceā€™ argument for a long while now while ignoring the fact that science is (financially) prohibited to research anything related to the plant. Anecdotal evidence is no evidence in their eyes even if people get (medical) relief from using. The same is happening here Iā€™m afraid. Itā€™s just ā€˜bro-scienceā€™ because nobody is researching it and the people using the ā€˜no scienceā€™ argument canā€™t or wonā€™t research themselves but will still use the ā€˜no scienceā€™ card.

1 Like

Yet there are multiple studies happening as we speak due to it being legalized worldwide and becoming a major agricultural crop.Itā€™s no longer financially prohibited to do studies. And asking for actual science based evidence to improve a part of your grow is not a bad thing.

How would we ever be able to test this issue without our own labs and research teams? I have bags of seeds but without lab testing at various stages of growth how would I know the plants are changing sex?

4 Likes

Scientific evidence approving or disproving something would be great but a lot of people simply ignore the fact that research need to happen before you have science based evidence.

Instead of ā€˜show me the evidenceā€™ I prefer ā€˜show me the researchā€™. If there is no research then there is no evidence disproving a fact either.

And regarding cannabis being legalized worldwide, please wake up. Yes there are movements but as long as the feds and the UN still prohibit it, there is no real research happening. In other words, show me the research :wink:

4 Likes

Not every place is the states mateā€¦Your federal laws dont apply in my country and the UN has got fuck all power in the world anywaysā€¦

Thatā€™s not how it works even remotelyā€¦you can literally just make up any shit and if people cant disprove it, its real???

Yes this is exactly what weā€™re asking, show us the research, your year of grow experience isnt research

2 Likes

Money is power and you are underestimating how much power money has. To do research you need money and that money most likely needs to come from big companies. Big companies need access to bank accounts, credit cards and payment systems. Guess what happens if they piss off the US government. Every bank is directly or indirectly connected to a banking license in the USA and no bank wants to risk that license.

I did not look into this recently but not too long ago it used to be a thing that no bank would serve legal cannabis businesses. Your bank gets a ā€˜visitā€™ from a government agency and suddenly you are a cash only company. Because the bank can choose whether or not to serve a customer and they ā€˜chooseā€™ not to risk their bank license by pissing of the government.

Oh and Iā€™m not from the US btw.

What I meant is for example: ā€˜cannabis does not cure cancerā€™. There is no evidence that it does because there is no research. If Iā€™m not allowed to say that it can cure cancer then somebody else should also not be allowed to say it does not. The only evidence we have today is anecdotal evidence of people claiming it helped them. And they have no problem telling because there is no financial motive not to tell and it saved their lives or made it less painful.

1 Like

Ok Bro sure thing, the evil US is preventing us all from curing cancer, healing the world and not being able to scientifically prove that young cannabis plants will change sex due to environmental issues.

1 Like

What i dont understand considering canabis growth and productionis a multi billion thats BILLION WITH A B dollar buisiness an. quite legal in alot of the US
As you say where is the research and testing there has to be some ghoing on somewhere

1 Like

Nope, too ambiguous IMO Genetic expression is definitely affected by environment. I think what Iā€™m tying to get at isā€¦ during germination (after reproduction) of seeds, itsā€™ environment may affect sexual expression. As opposed to 'cast in genetics. from fertilization. I donā€™t think change on a genetic level or DNA is necessary for this type of expression. As we see sexual expression is drastically affected by environment without a change at a genetic level. Its not ā€˜bro-scienceā€™, just a problem with terminology/ understanding. Cancer would be a good example of ones environment actually altering DNA therefore genesā€¦right? And yeah we need evidence, we all agree on that, but science is the test of ideas, theories and bro talk,. Lack of evidence canā€™t disprove anything.

1 Like

Well, the method I posted came directly the Cannabis breeders bible and also the exact same method is detailed in Jorge Cervantes ā€œBibleā€. Both authors credit Serious seeds as one of the pioneers of this technique. Im not trying to beat the drum for Serious seeds, they are just who everyone credits with creating the first fems and the technique by which it is done. I do believe they put in the work to help develop the technique, which to me says it is maybe a bit beyond ā€œbro scienceā€

3 Likes

My comment was not directed at you. We are actually in the same mindset on this subject. :wink:

2 Likes

Wasnt trying to start any beef man. Got mad respect for you @Grohio

1 Like

I know you wasnt. Didnt take it that way at all. Im always up for an informative discussion. Wont learn anything thinking I know it all. I got mad respect for you as well.

1 Like

A fun way I could think to bro test this, would be to run a cpl packs of fem seeds and crank up the seed matt and heat for one pack, then bloom them out? See if the heat treated lot has higher hermie rate? Its pretty hard to predetermine the sex of a regular seed, before germing, and then actually grow it out? I have no ideaā€¦I know I canā€™t do it with a magnifying glass and tweezers though LOL. I always though every creatures sex was determined at conception, personally, but I still have this nagging suspicion that its more than just luck with reg. cannabis seeds, just from growing from seed over the years. ???

2 Likes