History of ATF/ MTF and differences

The fact that Leafly lists two “Alaskan” Thunder Fucks makes me a little crazy. Alaskan Thunder Fuck (ATF) is listed as a Sativa and Matanuska Thunder Fuck (MTF) is listed as a hybrid. Matanuska Thunder Fuck is named after the Matanuska-Susitna Valley in Alaska, about 50 miles outside of Anchorage, which is revered for rich volcanic soil and it’s intense summer growing season. I lived in the Mat-Su valley in the late 70s, early 80s when this strain was being fine tuned. The strain came out of a blend of a number of different landrace strains that were folded into the most popular strains in the area at the time. Emphases was placed on strains that didn’t grow too high (for cramped quarters) and that had a short flowering cycle to optimize for the short summer. The best strain (in my opinion) to come out of this process, became known as Thunder Fuck or just Thunder to people in the valley and Matanuska Thunder Fuck to people in places in Alaska outside the Mat-Su valley. There were a couple of strains that had such similar genetics that they were collectively known as MTF and it was almost impossible to tell the difference. I know there were some MTF seeds and cuttings exported to the Pacific Northwest during that time because I spoke to a WA grower, visiting Alaska and he was growing out an MTF plant at that time. Cannabis was recriminalized in the mid 80s in Alaska and the strain went underground when the DEA stepped up enforcement and true (or even close) MTF is difficult to find now, even in Alaska. True MTF is a hybrid strain that leans slightly on the Indica side. The plants tend to grow short and thick, at least in Alaska and especially with good cropping. The flowers are a blend of dark and medium green with reddish brown hairs, and a structure similar to a Kush but with smaller buds. MTF doesn’t normally turn purple hues unless it’s finished outside toward the end of the summer in northern climates. The scent is a strong skunky piney smell, with mint undertones that most containers can’t contain. The effects are pretty unique in that they start with a very strong Sativa type high, very spacey and euphoric, then migrates after a while into a very relaxed couch lock, Indica phase. There are often giggly and/or aroused phases to the experience as well. Beware of intense munchies with this strain. Sleep is usually easy with MTF but unless you use too much, it doesn’t usually force sleep. It is a fantastic pain killer and muscle relaxer. MTF was developed by Alaskans to get through the long winter months but also to take advantage of epic summer days. True MTF is unquestionably my favorite strain of all time. “Alaskan” Thunder Fuck (ATF) is NOT the same thing. I’ve sampled several examples of the Pacific Northwest ATF as well as a strain called Oregon TF that are all very similar to each other. They are all sativa dominant with classic sativa bud structure. They had none of the Indica effects that I enjoyed so much in MTF. This is also not the Tundra strain that Leafly refers to as an alternative name to MTF. Tundra is yet another type of strain, that in my experience is similar to NL#5 and now appears to be extinct in its original form. Since I’ve become a medical user, I’ve only found two examples of MTF that I consider close to being genuine. Pure Oregon is the only place in Portland I’ve found MTF, that’s close enough to satisfy my high standards for this strain. If you are looking for an intense but balanced hybrid this one is worth a try if you can find it.

8 Likes

To make it even more confusing, we used to get a kind of weed call Kootenay (its a place in British Columbia) thunderfuck. And I have heard this was more common for people older than i

Close enough to be connected to the alaskan source, but who knows what it really was.

1 Like

That’s y I decided to put this up and I have a close friend who grew up in the Mat-Su valley and he said that it’s crazy to see how things change over time and that it’s not something that he ever thought would become a strain known outside of the Mat-Su area so it’s always good to see him whenever he can get to the lower 48 and I’m following @PhilCuisine who’s been growing some Vietnam Thunder Fuck and the reason for me reaching out to my buddy so I’m interested to see what feedback I get

1 Like

Hey DrGonzo,

I’m really glad you posted that. :+1:
I was researching MTF last year and I had a question I couldn’t answer.

How do(did) they grow this photoperiod outdoors there?
They about 20 Hrs of direct sunlight there around the summer solstice. There must be some interesting tricks getting the plants into flower.

Cheers
G

2 Likes

If anyone wants mtf x atf AK bean brains sells it. He’s an Alaskan breeder that has a bunch of old school strains. Also, I thought I heard somewhere that mtf has ruderalis in it. Don’t quote on that though.

2 Likes

I had the real deal MTF back in the day and I got it from bikers chicks…a lot of people that live there claim to have the MTF, but I think they consider any strain grown in that area is MTF…Matanuska Thunder Fuck (bikers cut) the real deal is still out there somewhere…

Originally posted by Harry Gypsna

I think its great that ur proving nice reults can be had from something that is widely said to be crap for growing weed, with a couple of mods and bingo, its great for growing weed. I think when peeps slag them off, they forget that the thing was never designed for growing dope… Well done mate, that MT looks frosty…time to get the black dustbin bags out and slide down that cola on my ass. Be lucky mate. B

7 Likes

Totally agree with you on the fact that people do use the strain name simply just from living there but to answer your question about the amount of sunlight during summer and I was told that it was mostly grown inside greenhouses but it was finished outdoors if that makes sense without getting all smart person talk lol

1 Like

@Heliosphear is logging a MTF grow on here Matanuska ThunderFuck served Baked Alaska Style - #56 by GrouchyOldMan that has had some discussion on the strain and sources.

2 Likes