Hollow Stems?

What is the cause? Is this a good thing?

13 Likes

Totally normal

13 Likes

so genetics?

2 Likes

One of many hollow stem plants, normal.

4 Likes

Some are hollow and some are solid. Likely genetics yes. I’ve broken enough stems in my time to notice this personally but didn’t think anything of it. Electrical tape can be a growers best friend :rofl:

13 Likes

I use sport wrap nowadays, works excellent also.

7 Likes

Ive seen it many times as well.

3 Likes

Could be nutrient related, usually low calcium

3 Likes

It means nothing. Some plants do it, some don’t.

If it’s low calcium, check my tapwater lol I’m 350+ out of the tap.

7 Likes

Calcium out of the tap is mostly in inaccessible form. When you have the city test it they’ll cram it all into x form . They lied lol

3 Likes

Any silicate complement will reinforce that stem, hollow or not … frech|nullxnull

5 Likes

Hollow stems is a deficiency (It can be fixed)

I’ve heard/ read that it is a B/Ca problem (actually, not like that angry dude who said that for every single plant issue lol) and happens more often with plants that are growing really fast. Called pith autolysis I think.

There was a lot of good info on the subject on Slownickel 's instagram page but I can’t remember it off the top of my head. IG really needs a good search function. Lot of really good relevant info on that page.

12 Likes

Well that’s funny

I remembered this info from Slownickel thread on IC, and a discussion between Dankwolf and him.

Thanks for the link :grinning:

Slownickel lounge
https://www.icmag.com/forum/marijuana-growing/cannabis-botany-and-advanced-growing-science/330463-slownickel-lounge-pull-up-a-chair-cec-interpretation?t=331317

I consider this gentleman a master of his science

9 Likes

Ime it’s a good thing and still able to root

I’ve found it’s more common in hydro than soil but my fog dogs are in soil and their stems are hollow af nothing else seems off about them aside from being huge for autoflowering plants.

3 Likes

I’ve never once had a hollow stem on any plant I’ve grown. I’ve heard of it but never seen it. I’ve always had thick fully solid stems, very wierd it’s happened to so many… im kind of confused if it’s so normal to find that in a strain, I grow in soil. Idk if that has anything to so with it. :confused: I want a hollow plant! :rofl: this is wierd af to me. I’ve been growing for 15 plus years… wth guys?! :laughing:edit and gals

5 Likes

I think when growing DWC style if I don’t use Silica I will get very hollow stems depending on the rate of growth.

4 Likes

No one lied to me. My water is unbelievably hard. You can observe the buildup. It’s mostly dissolved calcium carbonate, and plants can use it. Slownickel is a really smart dude (my lawn loves the gypsum he touts) but he can be rather dogmatic about other things.

I’ve had hollow stems with silica dosing so that’s probably not it.

@neogitus after angry boron guy lol I wanna dose some extra B just to prove a point. But then Lefty was talking about most fertilizers being low in B and now it’s got me thinking.

6 Likes

We get soil tests in Michigan, boron is always lacking. Don’t know about elsewhere.

2 Likes

Hollow stems is pith autolysis and it means the plant needs more carbon for photosynthesis. There is a post on Reddit with some discussion on the topic.

In my own experience trying some stuff out, I’ve noticed I get hollow stems when I run straight ProMix + perlite with nothing added, but adding some EWC + bio-char seems to remedy those dang hollow stems.

4 Likes