Holysmoke seeds peshawar wanted for coop seed run

Im gonna cop a squat over here and watch the grow! Luck, not sure you need luck friend but, Best of luck on this adventure!!!

2 Likes

I uppotted them and topped two of them on Monday. As soon as the branches get long enough, I’ll get to cloning and sexxing them out. The Mulanjes will follow the Peshawar. I may be cutting it close for outdoor flowering of those two. Happy to send cuts your way.

3 Likes

Three Peshawars. The two on the left have been topped. The one on the right, Spock, is growing out his three appendages. The smell of these plants is similar to tobacco breath. It’s not pleasant. When the leaves brush against my face, it has the same effect as rubbing a cat against my face, in an allergenic kind of way. Again, not pleasant.

PS. That being said, I can’t wait to vape them :rofl:

11 Likes

The seeds from @Zanzibar were viable and whatever popped went from nothing to inch and a half long sprouts with green cotyledons. I’m always amazed how quickly dry region plants drive that taproot down deep. I haven’t gotten a count yet on the sprouts. I didn’t look yesterday and this morning saw they need planting today. These will go right outside to accustom them to the sun. My 1,000 watt Metal Halide does not produce the lumens of an HPS and i learned this year that plants started under such a light need several days to acclimatize to the intensity of the sun. With HPS they can handle full sun after one day in filtered sun under a tree that has just begun to leaf out.
As a result some plants got sunburn this year. Surprisingly even Oaxaca got sunburn but the 2 small Peshawar took it the worst. They are producing normal growth under the sun now but the first 2 sets of leaves were roached…bleached white.
Update and photos coming, I promise. Been very very busy.

8 Likes

This is the one plant from the original batch of seeds. This one is a male. The next two plants are from the next batch of seeds I got and they are both female.
Finally, there are 5 healthy sprouts from @Zanzibar. A sixth probably won’t make it. Pretty safe to say we have a seed run at this point. I’m only trust level 2( you got to watch me LOL) so if someone else can set up a thread that would be great @zephyr. I understand there are some new co-op rules. Hopefully this one still qualifies?
Plants grow slowly early-season here in New York, but the days are long now and the temperatures are finally warming. The plants will start growing quickly soon

15 Likes

@Upstate , I believe you’ll need to make a post in the new voting thread for review/approval.
Definitely an exciting project imo!

6 Likes

Nice looking plants! I love narrow leaf afghanis.

If this line is discontinued like you mentioned in the first post, it should be eligible for a co-op seed run as both a landrace and a discontinued line.

For the new rules, you’ll need to gather some information on the seed company, the provenance of the line, and confirm that these are no longer for sale.

Submit this information to the voting thread that @HeadyBearAdventures linked to in the above post.

The distributors will vote based on the information you gather, and if they find everything is in order, this should qualify for a co-op run.

2 Likes

10 days ago i put 3 Peshawar cuts into a water bottle and put them in the flowering closet. All three are showing pollen sacks. To say i am disappointed is an understatement. It’s probably my imagination, but i think i get a contact high just from handling their leaves and stems while making cuttings and they’re not even flowering.There’s something special lurking in those plants. I have clones of PTK, Bangi Haze and SuperSilverBangerHaze sitting in the flowering closet awaiting some Sour Bubble pollen, but i am extremely tempted to let the Peshawars rain down pollen on them instead.

5 Likes

Do you only have one cut of each?

If you have more than one, maybe do both crosses? Unless pollenation spaces are limited.

3 Likes

Use a plastic bag to isolate a branch for each and do both!

2 Likes

That’s a bummer but I’m sure it will make some nice hybrids. When I find it hard to choose I do them all LOL

4 Likes

Bangi Haze would really benefit from hardy landrace genes of the Peshawar. Peshawar also has medicinal properties. Bangi Haze gives nice mellow buzz. Sounds like a good combo.

3 Likes

First Peshawar. I’m loving this plant. I kept thinking it seemed like a female, but i sexed it male early on. Happily, I was wrong😁.
The down side is, now we need a male. There are 5 more chances, coutesy of @Zanzibar.
The other two that were sunburned early. In half gallon containers.

13 Likes

Did that happen ?

Unfortunately no. The sour bubble pollen ended up being inert, probably because it was sent mid summer and took a while to get across the border. I was going to try again this winter, but the mite/aphid/bug problem changed everything. I was able to finish up my Mulanje reversal, but have otherwise stopped most of my indoor growing. I have a couple of moms (PTK and PTB)in my garage, but they’re infected too and will probably be disposed of.

2 Likes

Wow, I’m surprised anyone is growing this Peshawar (Afghani).

I originally had a 10 pack (this was 2020), and germinated two - 1 out of 2 sprouted, and it was a female. Right from the start, this thing expressed a classic Sativa structure: she grew very, very large, with a very narrow leaf structure. Unfortunately, she started budding very late in the season, and by the end of October, was probably only about one quarter way through. I left her outside, until the snow finally concluded her grow. This strain is definitely not suited for New England growing; I would estimate the flowering time to be anywhere from 12-16 weeks (at least, if not longer). Was very interesting to watch it grow though; it did survive the elements up until about mid-late November…but still very small immature buds, so I can only imagine how long the flowering must be.

I still have a few these beans (i think), although they have been stored in the top drawer of my dresser, and I’ve been consolidating my collection. Now, any purchase goes directly into my “vault” - seed refrigerator. But I’ve tried some of the “dresser” stored beans: some have germinated and grown; while others however, not so lucky.

I’m always curious to learn more about these forgotten landrace strains.

2 Likes

I had some bad luck with shipping from Canada. Took forever to find out that seeds had been seized. Seems Canada requires a certificate about the seeds. My seller didn’t have one.

1 Like

I’m surprised more people aren’t lol. It’s a true gem of a strain. Super rare and something I didn’t even know existed until a couple years ago.

I think 10-14 weeks is right, But that it takes longer if it is really cold out and less intense sun. For sure , these will not finish Naturally in New England. You have to force flower them Starting in mid July or Aug 1st til mid September, then let them go with regular daylight hours. It’s not necessarily the flowering time, But the flowering onset That makes them impossible to grow outdoors without a light dep greenhouse or without bringing them indoors at night to force flower.
There is a Peshawar thread that shows plants.

2 Likes

The Peshawar Afghani Sativa was truly unique: it had the most skinny, long, leaves that I’ve ever seen: structure was a “fine, weeping, lace” - it was a “picture perfect” Sativa (very Classic - like something you saw back in the 1980’s on posters or tapestry). Also, very resistant to the elements too: as i mentioned previously, it continued to grow well into late November (continued to growth through rain, frost, etc), until the weather finally turned into winter.

I agree - definitely RARE Heirloom for sure. I believe I have a few beans left, but will wait until I’m ready to run indoors, or use in a breeding program (but who knows if they will sprout, because my original storage was not optimal - as they were in a dresser drawer). My passion for seeds, genetics, collecting has led to the purchase of a dedicated seed refrigerator.

Also, now that the US is out of Afghanistan, there won’t be an (easy) available source for these genetics - these, more than likely, will eventually become extinct. I originally popped these beans not knowing how special they were - but I’ve come a long way since then. I’ve really immersed myself into the grow scene since 2019ish…added the storage fridge, and I look for the “limited, special, rare, unusual, heirloom” type strains - for growing & collecting. I continue to learn and improve my methods; and that’s what brought me to this thread - as I was looking up some landrace genetics, I stumbled across this familiar strain name. I initially had no information or idea; now I know.

I’ll check out the other Peshawar Topic threads, but want to ask - How was the smoke? Aroma & Taste?

4 Likes

They already are extinct in Afghanistan. Soviets pushed the last Peshawar growers in Nuristan out of the country, late 70’s. The landrace was incorporated into the Amalgamated Tirah Valley landrace in Pakistan

It’s great. The best plant I had was very potent. Others less potent are still resinous and probably have some cbd. Pine, mint and cat pee smells. I like the pissy myself. Great high.

3 Likes