Honest Opinions please

Toss a couple in there and take the average at the canopy level.

Wish I could afford to but I cant right now.

next time try this for ~$6, free shipping with a prime trial. you may be able to find one at a hardware store or walmart for the same price without shipping. iā€™ve got a million ways to save money doing this.

1 Like

I have some of these. Theyā€™re close enough for most things.

With the light and CO2 what I read is that more light beyond about 35 DLI wonā€™t hurt, itā€™s just wasted, the plant canā€™t do more with it without extra CO2. Photone has a good write-up if you visit their site / blog.

If you increase you light by increments over a few days you can see how the plant responds without risking killing it. I went up 10 DLI per day for two days to get up to where it ought to be just now. Had moved things around and forgot to recheck levels. They were so low :woman_facepalming:

1 Like

Iā€™ll share my opposite opinion. I nearly lolly-pop them. I donā€™t grow leaves I grow flowers. If the stem is purple, gone. The stem is more than an inch long, snip it. Leaf looked at you funny? Prune its ass.

Now. Donā€™t take too much, I grow in DWC and the plants rebound quickly. I donā€™t take anything until they are preflower and then I donā€™t prune all at the same time. Iā€™ll come back for a little more each week until itā€™s where I like it. Im done pruning and defoliating before mid-flower. Partly because they get too sticky to touch.

They do look good, even tho you want us to be critical.

I can be critical about the cocoa, why did you choose that? Do you have experience with cocoa? Itā€™s likeā€¦ the gross dirty version of hydro. EwšŸ¤£

3 Likes

:rofl::rofl::heart_eyes::rofl::rofl:
@AppalachianBiscuits thank you - yes, yours is exactly the kind of example I was thinking of - an awesome grow doing it totally different than me :smiley:

2 Likes

ROFLMAO I did run pure Hydro with Tomatos, still got the thing somewhere, it had the pump that sprayed water at the rock wool cube and an air bubbler. I hated that thing, pH was all over the place, couldnt keep it stable no matter what i did, this was back when I was working, went to work came home 8 hours later, all my plants were dead because of a pH swing. It was just a Nighmare to run. So I went with something that has Media, that is easier to control and requires less effort to get right lol. Plus the water kept getting to hot in the summer and couldnt afford a chiller for it lol. But So far, I am liking my Dirty version of hydro, I might even try ACTUAL Dirt!

1 Like

Disgusting.

:joy: There are a bunch of growers here that have all kinds of setups, but you wonā€™t catch me with a pump either. Dropping a motor into water is a line I canā€™t cross.
When youā€™re tired of soil gnats come back over to the dark side :wink:

1 Like

You really need a way to measure light output at the canopy. Watts used vs ppfd produced varies greatly depending on the light quality and diodes used. 30-40 Watts per square ft of a quality LED will give you plenty of light. A cheap lux meter can give you repeatable numbers although not as accurate as a proper quantum PAR meter. Iā€™ve used a cheap, 30 bucks, lux meter for years and it helps to dial in and adjust your lights. Otherwise youā€™re just guessing at the actual light levels the plant is actually getting.

3 Likes

Have not saw a gnat yet lol its winter tho lmao.

1 Like

My biggest honest issue with hydro, all joking aside, is that the only thing doin anything to control the temp in my tent is the vent fans. I do not have the money to set up a water chiller or an AC unit that can cool the tent, so if the air in there is 80, the water is gonna be 80f and 80f at the root zone is a bad thing.IF I could afford all the fancy things to perfectly automate and control every factor in the tent, all joking Aside, I would likely go DWC.

2 Likes

Ive never had a problem with water temp. Only on my outdoor hydro, and then I put frozen water bottles in them.
Light leaks causing disgusting slimes, yes. But never temp. I wrap the buckets in reflective insulation, itā€™s perfect.

Eta: this is my current grow. Scarlet Grape Autos. They are leafier than I like because I lost my scissors.

7 Likes

Im still searchin for the grow type that suits my enviroment best. I wasnt kidding when I said im likely gonna try acutal dirt next. Not living soil, im a pothead not an organic hippy lmao. But dirt and synthetic nutes, That I might do.

1 Like

Worst part is, if temp is an issue NOW, christ I dont wanna see what its gonna be come June in Ohioā€¦

1 Like

Honestly, I am shocked that one of these grow tent companies like AC infinity has not come up with an small AC unit that can sit outside the tent and pump cool air through a duct into the intake vent on the tent.

1 Like

@Ace71975 Totally agree. 30 is great, 40 is high but manageable. The limiter will be your plants, with high intensity the plants will need perfect inputs, and a lot of them. So I would go for the lower end (400w at 70%) and see how your plants handle it. I have ADHD myself, so Iā€™d just dive in, make mistakes, learn from them, and get better! :nerd_face::v:

3 Likes

Coco and floraflex. You get the best of all the worlds. Hydro type results with a lot less hassle. Put a timer on a small pump, feed multiple times a dayā€¦ and boom, amazing results at a very affordable price.

3 Likes

What about something like this?

Thatā€™s the game plan for my experiment with your Peanut Butter Dreamā€™s

2 Likes

Iā€™m pretty sure youā€™re gonna love it. The speed, the yield, the control are all phenomenal

2 Likes