Honey oil/bho

I know some people grown upon normal people doing this but I’m just looking for information here, I want the environment for for my kids just like you do.

Here’s the deal, had some huge colas get a white almost cob web looking growth in between the nugs where they touched and some brown rot on others in the same locations. Outsides of the nugs were fine only where it touched another nug did it have issues. I want to be able to get something from it and figured bho would probably be best as the hydrocarbon would kill any mold or fungus spores and I just want to try shatter at least once lol.

I’ll probably only run an ounce or so at a time.

Heres the questions:
How big of a vessel? 1" dia tube? What materials can I use? I know glass and food grade stainless, pvc? Thinking bad things from the weak plastic works come out. Cpvc? Abs? Brass? Copper?
How long of a tube?
How much butane?
Do I keep injecting until it starts coming out or just one 8oz or whatever size can?
Should I run a can or 2 then wait and run more?
In short what’s the actual process?

I have a blasting cabinet that I was going to do this in that is sealed so I can capture the butane at least and then burn it off in small amounts ( did this with acetone for a chemistry project for a friend and burned the vapor off slowly after the evaporation was complete. According to my air monitor (the joys of working in petro chemical plants) barely detected anything escaping the cabinet and less co2 and nox than a weed eater lol. It’s not the best and I can’t recover it but at least I’m not polluting the planet.
Any info or links greatly appreciated. Tia be safe be well

2 Likes

I always used a 1in diameter 2ft long piece of copper,with 490 micron mesh on the drain end,packed 1.5oz of bud into it.put a copper end cap with a small hole drilled in on the packed copper tube and fastened it to my shed.Ran 2 to3 cans of butane through it till the butane started to run clear, and ran it out to a small pyrex dish.then i put the small pyrex dish in a bigger pyrex dish with water as a double boiler and evaporated 90% the butane that way.i used one of those portable electric burner plates outdoors,then for the last 10% i placed the pyrex dish on the element till all the bubbles evapirated then let cool and set.Worked great for me…i had a step by step thread on the old overgrow.

7 Likes

Pretty much do this except I have a 2in diameter by about 1ft long tube with 120 micron screen (i call it the glass dick haha) and recently had snagged a few pieces of food grade stainless steel from previous job to make a new tube thats done me well, also 2in diameter but about 2ft long. I need to build a stand though as I have to hold the tube and cans of butane while I do it which can be tedious and hands can cramp a bit lol.

4 Likes

Here is a good guide with tips and tricks:

5 Likes

Good read for sure Lotta good info :grin: unfortunately ill admit my broke ass doesn’t have a vac pump, usually takes me around a week to open purge. Sucks though cuz it doesn’t stay clear/amber after to much movement.

3 Likes

I have a vac pump for air conditioning work. Just have to build a small air tight cabinet. Depending on how handy you are you can get a cheap pump that will pull 25 inhg vaccine. Just have to build a box

2 Likes

Its next on my list of shit I need to buy when I get some spare cash.

1 Like

Harbor freight or northern tool bro. I left mine on a crane for 36 hrs and it didn’t kill it and that’s way worse than a few short runs a couple times a month maybe

2 Likes

For sure! Thats awesome that it held out that long. On a side note, I usually use a Pyrex baking dish for blasting into, I don’t have any of the ptfe but do have a silicone pan for baking/extractions that i was debating on trying. Had seen mixed reviews on it being able to be used for it back when I got it but that was like 3 to 4 years ago now.

2 Likes

For serious medical use I always recommend using food grade ethanol aka everclear as the solvent.

For recreational use or medical use by someone who is not seriously ill, bho is probably fine :+1:

4 Likes

OK, now you have my full attention… How exactly do you do that with Everclear??

Cheers
G

4 Likes

It’s kind of a different process, but it’s much simpler and easier.

Most of the honey oil in the old california medical cannabis (prop 420 prop 215) medical collectives was made with food grade alcohol. People would usually smoke it with flower or roll joints with it mixed in. Ice water hash and dry ice keef were also common at that time.

bho only became common in the california medical community when dabbing really started to get popular around 2013.

I’ll post again tomorrow with my method for everclear honey oil.

In the meantime here’s a couple photos to show how it comes out:

https://forum.grasscity.com/attachments/hash-jpg.2166896/
(this one is an old photo I have posted on another forum)

apparently this method has been around for a very long time. an old san francisco dealer told me that in the 60’s and 70’s they would make an alcohol extract this way, but instead of using it for hash, they would dip joints in the alcohol extract and then hang them up with clothespins to dry. He said they called them dipped joints or golden joints.

If I ever try that, I would probably just dip the rolling paper, not the whole joint.

4 Likes

I use the qwiso/qwet method, quick wash isopropyl rubbing alcohol or ethanol grain alcohol. It doesn’t come out as green, I’ve made golden honey shatter just like BHO. The qwet is more forgiving as it can sit longer without pulling out the chlorophyll, while keeping more terps, and can be used for edible and tincture. If you use iso then let it dry and purge completely and only use it for smoking.

2 Likes

Well thanks guys, that was an educational trip down the ‘bunny hole’!
This looks like a great answer to “what to do with plants after a seed run”.

Cheers
G

5 Likes

I found to make honey oil a quick rinse and shake till it turns gold then strain and evaporate like a total wash of 5 min tops gets it golden .

1 Like

I found a lot of the time it will turn red also depending on the strain I guess.

1 Like

Only time I had it turn red on me was when I left it in the sun (covered with white towel) during the summer. Came out like red brittle shatter. Everything is done with the alcohol, jars, and plant matter as cold as you can get it, I leave it in the freezer for a day. With iso alcohol, I do no more than 2 min for the first wash, I did it with just the stems and leaves I manicured off the buds I’ve been buying. I get a decent return out of a quart of broken stems and the leafy shake from the bottom of bags. The few times I did it with grain alcohol (hard to get in Maine, I was ordering everclear online) I let it soak a min or two longer, but still avoiding the green tint. I want to get a small lab distillation set (cause I’m a geek) to reclaim (or make) the alcohol, or just get the source turbo later down the line.

2 Likes

Are you running it through charcoal ?

1 Like

Never have, but I’ve read that’s a step you can take to make it clearer or pull some of the green if you soaked it too long. But it’ll also trap some thc just by nature of the charcoal.

2 Likes

I’ve been seeing acetone mentioned a lot. Supposedly kills mold and fungus.

1 Like