Hormone and sex manipulation on cuttings, past research on hemp

Has anyone ever light depped haze for 24 hrs to show sex?

As to sex expression, GA3 treatment resulted in the formation of more than 80% male plants, while
in the controls the percentage was ca. 30. In both the BAP and the IAA treatments, no male plants
were formed at all, the plants becoming either female, or intersexes, instead.

I imagine if this is true then a person could sprout out a bunch of seeds and put them in the gibberillic acid and any that showed female would probably be less likely to pass on inter-sexed traits on to their progeny?

13 Likes

I used Gibberellic acid to germinate some old seed and you get males and female from the treated seed.

What you also get is stem or internode elongation.

I would never use it again.

7 Likes

Is there a paper on this, the hormones?

4 Likes

Found this if it helps Loki.

Its from

journal article
The Role of Roots in Sex Expression in Hemp Plants
M.Kh. Chailakhyan and V.N. Khryanin

Cant find a free copy costs $43.95 to download.

13 Likes

Thank you.

5 Likes

Found a copy. It’s a short paper circa '78: The Role of Roots in Sex Expression in Hemp Plants.pdf (681.8 KB)

9 Likes

Reading it now interesting.

3 Likes

This is very interesting.

So in theory if you have a female Haze / Sativa selected clone Mom you could take a few clones from her have the one you want to be female root out normal and cut the roots off the clone you wont turn male.

8 Likes

The tissue culture folk may have some thoughts on that as cytokinens and auxins are are regular thing. I would have thought we would have heard more about that.

I’m moving this concept to a separate thread.

5 Likes

I have a friend that has a background in tissue culture i need to ask him about this.

I have some clones in to root i mite try this my self Loki run a little experiment.

5 Likes

The Influence of Growth Regulators Absorbed by the Root on sex expression in hemp.pdf (1.1 MB)

5 Likes

When I first posted the paper there was not much interest in it, maybe none at all…LOL
So @Cactus and I have been chatting about things in PM for a while now.

Personally, I think @Cactus is right on with this method.
What you are doing with this method is reversing the plants and keeping those that refuse to reverse.
A true female with 0 intersex traits.
This is a brilliant idea @Cactus
He also has a method for doing the same to the males to find a super male.

The trick, I think is using the right amount of Gibb. or your plants may not be useable due to over stretch.
Another question we need to find out is…
Will the Gibb turn all plants male?

Finding a true breeding female may require quite a bit of work.
But we may never know if we do not try.

Something to note:
Gibberelic acid is the male hormone and cytokinins are the female hormone in cannabis.

I would also like to try some ethyl-bloc on some plants to see what effects that has.
I think that is what is in the one and done reversing sprays out there.

For those who wish to learn more about hormones check out this thread I posted several years ago.

10 Likes

BTW
Very few know that trimming roots has an effect on sexual expression.
I have talked to a bunch of people and pretty much none of them knew this and if they did know of this they never tried it.

In fact when it was brought up on ICrag a bunch of folks said it would not work.

Credit to Scarhole for bringing this to our attention back in 2014

7 Likes

Thanks for showing me this @shag just thought I would share your ideas! I think a greenhouse will work great for I grew the Skunks for twelve weeks and still had another two weeks of growing if they needed it.

2 Likes

Here is some info from my buddy “OO”

Scientifically, root pruning has nothing to do with intersex traits. Certainly, an ‘intersex’ susceptible plant will more readily revert sex upon root pruning than a ‘stable’ sex.

Be that as it may, root pruning is not a form of stress to induce sex reversal but actually works quite similar to STS.
Roots and only roots build cytokinin, they also build strigolactones which in turn increase auxins and influences their transport. Removing the roots will completely deprive plants from cytokinins, partially from strigolactone, and indirectly lower the auxin content and alter its distribution. This causes an imbalance in hormone homoeostasis in favour of gibberellins. The latter are the main ‘male’ hormone whereas cytokinins and auxins are linked to ‘femaleness’ (BTW auxin content in hemp is up to 30 fold higher in females then males). It’s common knowledge that treatment with GA leads to female->male sex reversal and consequently pruning roots is the same, just ‘more natural’ [image] .
STS on the other hand, according to the latest findings, blocks copper channels (and does not inhibit ethylene production per se nor directly blocks ethylene perception). Anyway, a lack of copper (needed for ethylene synthesis) leads to a lower ethylene production. Ethylene is at least one reason why auxins cause ‘femaleness’ (remember, auxins lead to increased ethylene production) and ethylene acts, at least in this regard, as GA antagonist. Again, a shift in hormonal equilibrium causes sex reversal. Consequently, one would have to call STS a form of nutrient (copper) starvation. By definition, nutrient starvation is also a form of stress. Hence, STS is stress induced sex reversal and will select for intersex plants [image] . That last sentence, ICMag users know that by experience, seems not true although I know many who think it is. [image]
Bottom line is: If you ‘believe’ STS a safe method, then root pruning is so too. If you don’t like STS, don’t prune roots either.

7 Likes

I just provided info, these ideas are your own, I am just thinking things through with ya.
Lets just say we are sharing our thoughts on this subject.
You came up with a plan of action, so the credit for that goes to you.
I just wish we could get more minds working together toward a common goal.
I feel a lot more could be accomplished if we could somehow manage that.

Folks today don’t seem to want to help one another and are always looking for money out of the project.
I find that kinda sad but what can you do.
Maybe this will gain traction and we can get some more big thinkers in here working with us.
But I am not holding my breath.
I have been trying to spread this knowledge for more than 10 years and very few wish to help or add anything to this phyto-hormone project.

6 Likes

Here is another thing to note:

By definition, nutrient starvation is also a form of stress. Hence, STS is stress induced sex reversal and will select for intersex plants*

This tells me that the root pruning method may in fact be a better choice than STS.
In fact STS may not even be a good choice if in fact it does select for intersex plants as “OO” has said it does.

OO is one of, if not the smartest guy I know when it comes to organic chemistry.

He is a phamacist in europe and seems to working on cannabis as a medicine.
I believe this is the new project he is working on.

5 Likes

Outside the seeds/seedlings treatment for polyploïdy, i’m empirically/methodologically not in ease with everything else on the matter with this stuff. Can’t wait to see the first feebacks of all of this, it’s quite stimulating.

I just add a “grounded sight” on some itching things i readed, more a matter of formulation i guess in the stimulating flow.

That’s quite a shortcut, but it’s necessary to add at this point that gibs are the main hormon used to produce buds ^^

Same with auxins, remove it (more an absolute exercise for the caricature) and you have a cannabis plant without internodes and without roots ^^

4 Likes

This is very true and Gibb can be used to increase the mass/size of cannabis flowers and increase trichome production too.
But one has to watch for intersex traits when doing this.
I can not help but wonder if we found a true female and hit her with some Gibb would that increase the weight of the buds and possibly increase trichome production without inducing intersex traits. :thinking:

I have personally done some experiments with Gibb and found it does increase bud and trichome production but unfortunatly it can lead to intersex traits as well.
More work is needed to see if this treatment can be useful without increasing intersex traits.

6 Likes

Hormone treatment to increase / densify flower has been known for some time. Safety of that, though, remains a concern.

Hormone treatment early in the plant development is interesting if it can be shown to consistently work and useful. If reversal works on cuttings, will it stay that way or does it revert back. Or herm.

4 Likes