How can I slow plant growth?

Hey. Im trying to discover a way to slow or stop plant growth in veg.
These girls are in coco and are to tall. Ive topped them three times and don’t want to top them again as they will be flowered in about a week. Any tips to make this happen would be appreciated. Im not sure if this is possible.

3 Likes

I’d recommend bending the new growth tips down at least once a day as low stress training, and putting a vinyl coated wire mesh screen above them in flowering to limit height from stretch. I just had a similar situation with some ethiopian x afghani plants in veg in my organic indoor grow.

5 Likes

Pictures are helpful.

Ever bent somebody’s arm? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Cold temperatures, low light, low nutrients, and frequent toppings are how I keep my bonsai mothers small. :+1::seedling:

8 Likes

Is the issue truly too much growth, or just too much height? If it’s the latter, @Mr.Sparkle does some spectacular feats of height maintenance.

If it’s too much growth, reiko is on the money. Low root temperature is guaranteed stasis, along with low wattage light, or regular wattage for just a few hours here and there.

5 Likes

Less lamp-hours/intensity, cooler temps.

3 Likes

I remember a greenhouse owner telling me he used a B vitamin? spray ? to keep plants uniform and when people took the plants home this stuff would be watered or rinsed out and the plant would resume normal growth , I think it was B1 but please don’t quote me.

1 Like

Allow me in the same room as them. Always works for me

6 Likes

How low do you go on temps, light, and nutrients – are you able to share some kind of a starting setpoint on those parameters? Are your mothers in dirt?
Last time i grew, years ago, i just took clones off the plants going into flower, and rooted/veged/topped them while the originals flowered, then rotated and repeated. This time around i’d like to tighten up and keep a couple strains as mothers.

1 Like

Might find the first bit of this useful:

Use small pot, white/blue light, temps below 75, 8/4, 8/4 (on/off) light schedule, lower nutes/water and if they grow too much, chop 'em.

1 Like

Here’s a good place to start. If you type bonsai in the search more useful threads will come up.

3 Likes