How do I make an ebb & flow hydroponic system?

The goal: To demonstrate the construction of an Ebb & Flow hydroponic system.

The system being constructed is small, however the design is the same as larger systems.

Parts list…

• Resturant bus tub, 15 1/2" x 20 1/2" x 4 1/2", flood tray.
  • Resturant bus tub, 15 1/2" x 20 1/2" x 7", reservoir.
  • Reservoir lid, 15 3/4" x 22".
  • Overflow fitting.
  • Fill/drain fitting.
  • Water pump, 70 gph.
  • Tubing, 1/2" ID.
  • Aquarium air pump.
  • Air stones.
  • Green air line.

Notice, in the pictures above, the one inch holes, in the flood tray for the overflow, and fill/drain fittings, also, the two inch holes in the lid, for the fittings to pass through.

A view of the plumbed flood tray with lid. See how it fits over the fittings.

This is a view of the reservoir with lid, and plumbed flood tray.

Here, it’s all assembled. The water and air pumps are not shown. The power cord, and air lines fit between, the reservoir and lid. A small notch may need to be added, to avoid pinching the air lines, and to help the flood tray sit level.

Assembled with six 5 1/2" square pots. Notice the easy access to both fittings. The fill/drain fitting has a connector for a 1/2" hose, under the screen. Remove the screen, connect the hose, turn the pump on, and pump out the nutrient solution. Makes reservoir change outs very easy.

Another view of the system.

Note: Choosing a container…

Not all containers are made equal. Some are very sturdy, while others are not. Using a weak container will only lead to failure and a flood. Choose heavy duty containers. Also, some containers will need a center support to keep them level under the weight of the nutrient solution.

Note: About sizes…

The reservoir should be large enough, to hold two, to three times the volume of the flood tray or table. The pump should be sized to flood the tray in 5 min. or less.

Last modified: 14:46 - Jul 19, 2001
    </td>

• 6 Likes

I’m currently fighting root rot (for the third time) in a dwc setup and am looking for an alternative growing method. If my dwc environment is prone to this (root rot), would I be able to do an ebb and flow without having to worry about my roots dangling in bad water?

Edit: would I be able to get away with a drip system? I just dont want to fight the root rot, but I still want the benefits and cleanliness of hydro.

Thoughts, ideas and opinions appreciated.

1 Like

Ebb and flow is much less sensitive to high rez temps than dwc.

In the last year I’ve done 3 ebb and flow grows (1 using rockwool, 2 using hydroton) and I had water temps up to 78f with no root rot.

I finished 1 recirculating drip grow at end of last year and it also is not sensitive to rez temps. Drippers need cleaning or replacing which can be annoying, but overall it’s also a nice method if you have a hotter rez.

I started using Zone and will be trying pool shock instead on my next grow, because algae can form in the flood tray in ebb and flow, but it’s harmless. The grow I did in rockwool had algae that I didn’t treat and it didn’t cause any problems.

Ebb and flow is a great method IMO.

4 Likes

It’s strange because my water temps arent my issue at all…water floats around 15-18c. My first dwc at this location completely successful. My last 2 failed and my current dwc is suffering the same. I may try some pool shock tonight and see what it looks like next Friday. I hate pulling the plug on this…but fuck.

Thanks for the info @MumenRyder … drip system seems like my easy way out.

1 Like

How well does this setup scale up? I want to set one up for when monocrops from clone.(probably an overstatement for a 4x4 flower tent :sweat_smile:)