How do I select a male?

What are the traits you want it to pass on to the offspring?
What good traits does it have ? Internode spacing? Smell? Structure?
If he ticks 2 or more points, go on…

Ds

2 Likes

Im mainly looking for vigour this season but I was more interested if people thought this was a good amount of crystals for a male?

It has nice smell, vigour, structure and big buds

1 Like

Not a heavy resinous one, but if he tickles the other points I’ll say it’s ok
Ds

2 Likes

I’m usually selecting from whatever males show up in a 10 or 12-seed breeder pack. Real selection would require cloning the males while you grow out their progeny to test the resulting female offspring. But I don’t have the time or space for that.

So I pick the one with the best health & vigor. I also rub the leaves to check aroma. If you flower more than one male you can check the flowers for trichomes but usually they all look the same. You can also see which male is yielding more flowers. And how much it stretches.

9 Likes

:smile: Being a dude, I shouldn’t have been surprised that male plants do it too.

:evergreen_tree: booioioioing

4 Likes

Thanks overgrow community Rest in love subcool

1 Like

The typical stuff… strong structure, vigor, smell… etc.

But a key thing to note in my opinion is knowing what you’re looking for.

After growing out so many seeds you’ll begin to pick up on how certain phenos tend to look through the females.

Then you can find a male that matches your favorite females characteristics.

3 Likes

Some hermaphrodites will hide and show as males and only show there female hairs several weeks into flower , I’ve seen people collect the first handful of pollen sacs and then kill the male with out giving it enough time to determine stability. This is part of why so many herm traits are popping up in certain peoples work. It takes time to clone and then stress test plants before breeding with them but it will save you headaches in the future.
If you take a male right when it starts to drop pollen and put it back on veg schedule a few different things can happen, it will continue to produce pollen continuing to bloom untill it dies , or it will start to re veg and the current pollen sacs will mature and drop pollen in the process , or after about a week or so it will burst with hairs in which case he/she should be killed and not bred with IMO.

2 Likes