How do you determine seed maturity?

I’m making seeds for the first time and curious what you all look for to determine ripeness?
Any feedback is appreciated.
Thanks!:v:t4:

3 Likes

You could just wait for the plant to finish and pull a couple seeds out of the lowers. If they are nice, dark and pass the squish test you should be good to go. At least that is what my limited experience says.

2 Likes

I will pluck one out of a flower and give it a quick look and feel. Solid, nice colour, good to go.

3 Likes

Thank you kindly gentlemen!

Doug if all goes as planned I’ll be reaching out to contribute some when they are ready🤞🏽

3 Likes

My pleasure and thanks.

1 Like

And don’t forget to dry them :+1:

2 Likes

:rofl: almost goes without saying. Except I found a baggie of moldy red Japanese maple seeds this morning. Doh. Tried to skip a step I did!

1 Like

They will also start to peek out of the bracts when they are finished, usually you can see good color without even picking em off the plant. I’ll pluck those off just to see, and 99% of the time, its a beautiful finished seed.

5 Likes

This is also true:

Peekaboo

10 Likes

seeds usually take at least 5-6weeks to mature. You pollenate between week 3-4, and harvest week 9 (For most indica/hybrid varieties). Good points in the previous post. If unsure, it is best to give them an extra week.

3 Likes

I wait til I see seeds naturally falling from the pod

3 Likes

Just wait until you can pluck off a mature seed and then go two more weeks to let them all ripen. Last thing you want is 10 mature beans and 900 pale/green ones

2 Likes

Here’s something else you might find handy…

Seed storage, small2012.pdf (170.8 KB)

Cheers
G

3 Likes

I had that!