How I make small batches of seeds without screwing up my sensi( too much)

Hey.
Here I plan to show how I use homemade papper bags to isolate and collect pollen from donors and use that pollen to make small batches of seed, in the same space I flower my sensi. Than you Mel Frank!:grin:
I collect from clones grown in one gallon pots. When the flowers start to form I trim the lower half off to help focus on flower development and it makes it easier to bag. When most mature flower is close to opening, it’s time to bag.

Time to bag…

Trim lower big fans that trap pollen

Light gauge packing paper / tyvek tape/ pole to hold bag. Painters tape at bottom of bag to main stem and to hold bag to pole. Tape that bag really well to the stalk so no pollen can get out.
Don’t use this, doesn’t breath well, promotes mold

Or these, doesn’t contain cannabis pollen

Of course lots of alternatives, French loaf bags( with the little window), tyvek bags, ect. Feel free to add!
Once bagged, back into flower room for a couple weeks till it drops it pollen.
I collect outside, in a four seasons, covered room. Well away from flowering plants.
This one could have went a bit longer and I would normally tape it back up and return to flower, but I went ahead just to demonstrate. I collect on bristol board usually/ sift out veg parts and fold in paper to dry and store or use right away. I prefer fresh pollen.
Male bits are disposed of in yard waste bag. Clothes in laundry and shower before you drag pollen all over the house.
Next comes the good part, pollination! I use a spare bathroom, in a stand up shower stall for still air and ease of pollen deactivation with water. I pollinate females that are 3-4 weeks into flower and allow 6 weeks for seed maturation. Allow 4 weeks between pollinations, so seeds can’t mature from accidentally cross pollination. ( Shouldn’t happen if you shower your mom’s off really good, once they’ve accepted the pollen)
I pollinate at lights out. Take potential seed mom’s to shower stall. Apply pollen with brush, small amounts, slow movement, think still air. When done, gently close stall door and close room door and leave in the darkened bathroom till lights on time(12 hours typically) !
Shower and change( best done in boxers and a tee shirt😁) don’t go near flower room until clean.
At light on time, run shower and hose those plants off really good, getting everything soaked and dripping. As your washing the plants, let the water spray down the inside of the stall, ect. Just get everything wet. Shake out and let dry for a couple hrs. Change and wash off.
Put plants back in flower room. Pollen is now neutralized and won’t cross contaminate your seedless crop( as long as you rinsed it really good). Allow six weeks from pollination before you harvest. You may have to let you flowers go a little longer then normal.
Sorry for the short hand, my brain starts to hurt when I type to much on my phone! Feel free to ask questions and add if you’ve got some good tips! And let’s all make more seeds!:grin::+1::peace_symbol:

84 Likes

When you say “Allow 4 weeks between pollinations” do you mean on the same receiving plant, or adding any other pollinated plants to the space?

GREAT info, thanks!

3 Likes

@RookieBuds . Other plants to the same space. I only pollinate each female once. It’s a way so if you miss some pollen in the shower it won’t have time to form good seed in the crop you pollinated 4 wks prier. Keeps a seperation between pollen donors to avoid confusion.

16 Likes

Love it! I want to get into seed making and playing with pollen chucks. Nice to see there’s options outside of setting up a separate space. Still probably going that route though.

7 Likes

Im actually going to experiment with a few home made bags Im making with filters attached. Im hoping I can plant a few cuts in a single pot, then spray one fem to reverse her. When she shows male sacs bag the entire container and wait. I hope I can have numerous pots in the same tent. I will also have a few control females that will flower right beside them as a control. If the stay sensi then I know it works. The filters are for some air exchange but wont allow pollen to go throu it, so I shouldnt have to worrie about cross pollination. The controls will let me know if I had an issue. The filters should also allow enough air so that condensation wont form. We will see soon enough if theae will work and then I will share how I make them.

This page of yours comes at perfect timing for me. I will take all the help I can get, and appreciate the infromation on your own tests here.

10 Likes

What I do sometimes if you wanna be really careful and just hit the bottom branches or whatever is a couple days before it looks like the sacks are going to open you clip a branch and put it in a glass of water on a windowsill with a piece of paper under it. It will still open up fine and you collect it up. I sometimes cut it with something like corn starch and use my girlfriends makeup brush with the fans obviously off. If you can wait a bit before turning the fans back on do it unless you are worried about humidity but it is winter. That’s it man, you just hit a few bottom branches and have nice sensi colas on top like normal. I will add too that seeded bud has its own unique high and I seen people that actually prefer it believe it or not. I’m definitely not in that category though and like my girls to be seedless.

18 Likes

Couldn’t bookmark this one fast enough @Budderton thabk you for this!

Is it safe to assume that these males you’re trimming and collecting from are in-topped so as to maintain that main cola that ends up being all that’s left on there? Or do you think you could do this with a clone that’s been topped and bushed out too?

7 Likes

I love it! That’s what it’s really about! Don’t be afraid to experiment! I’ve seen guys make little windows with a small piece of 6 mil clear poly and tuck tape to allow you to see what going in there. Good luck with your pollinations!:grin::+1:

7 Likes

Right on! I made some of my first seeds the same way!
I make hash from the seed mom’s( after seed seperation) and I don’t mind it at all.:+1::grin:

5 Likes

I find it easier to bag an untopped plant and focus on the top 1/3. I’ve done multi headed pollen donors just means a bigger bag, with multiple poles to hold it up and a bit more of a handful when it comes to cutting it open and collecting.:grin:

4 Likes

Makes sense. I’ve got the male that I used for this last seed round clones and I started the process of trying to bonsai him to hold him for a while, was wondering if I could still run this bag process on him but it’s probably better i I take some fresh cuts and run this program with them since I’ve already topped and trained him.

3 Likes

I can vouch for this. I unwisely fimmed my Foxtail Skunk male, and it’s one with whorled phyllotaxy as well so it’s got like 9 tops. :stuck_out_tongue: It’s a mess, and probably just gonna make it more trouble to collect pollen in the next few weeks once it recovers from being manhandled upstairs. There’s too much plant to find anywhere to put a paper for collection… might just end up taking a cut instead, that way I can cut down the rest of him and have more room to work with.

5 Likes

I bought packing paper to attempt this with my Lebanese but the plant was so tall and unwieldy I didn’t have anything tall enough to stake it up with. I’ll definitely be trying the future.

3 Likes

I find small plants(24-30") single top, in a one gallon are the sweet spot for pollen production vs manageability.:grin:

12 Likes

I could see that. I didn’t set out to collect pollen (just turned out male) and it was an auto that ended up needing to flip. By the time I figured it out it was a monster, and then it stretched more!

3 Likes

This is cool. Glad to see the different ideas. Got a Patient Zero x Chem 91 male flowering out now. I have him in another room but I might try to bag him also

2 Likes

This is how I just pollinated my Bubblegum x Chem 91 female. Cut a 4-5 inch hole in the bottom of a gallon Ziploc bag. Sled it over the 2 bottom branches and zipped it tight against the stem. Used a brush to apply the pollen through the hole in bottom of the bag. Hope it works

24 Likes

That looks like it’ll work just fine @VAkish !:+1: Good idea. Are you gonna mist everything before you remove the zip lock?

5 Likes

Thanks for this brother…

1 Like

Yes. I just sprayed the whole plant, outside of the bag and then inside of the bag. Soaked down inside of the bag and the branch real good before removing it. It was really easy to do. I’m going to do 4 other females in the next couple of days

8 Likes