How likely is it that 2 female plants reversed by STS/CS contaminate each other with pollen?

I recently found out that male plants apparently will send pollen through your entire house :grimacing:

However, it seems that fem plants that are reversed generally have to be coerced to drop pollen because they don’t produce as much by far.

If you have 2 reversed plants in the same tent, will they get pollen on each other, making it hard to know who the “father” was in a cross?

What about 2 reversed plants, each in a separate tent in the same room?

On separate floors of a house?

5 Likes

I haven’t done it but think cross contamination would be a real concern.

I’ve had success isolating males in a small apartment (no airflow, not even vents) and it works well.

7 Likes

I’ve been playing around with cross contamination for a couple grows.
(I’m trying to see what works)

Oh Yeah… cross contamination 24/7 :+1: :smile:

Two tents, same room… Probably, …depends on the setup.
Separate air exhaust systems and filtered air in - you have a good chance of keeping them ‘clean’.
Of course, only one tent open at a time and decontaminate the common area & yourself (and wait) before moving to the next tent.

The biggest tip I can give you is have a spray bottle of water that you can set to a fine mist. This will deactivate pollen on contact.
I go for well dampened but not dripping.

If you want no (minimal) cross-contamination, how paranoid should you be?
Pretend you are working with Ebola in a CL4 laboratory…:pinching_hand: :grin:

Cheers
G

13 Likes

I would say, yes your are probably going to get cross contamination big time in the same tent.

4 Likes

I guess it depends on how well your reversal went. I have done a reversal on Black Cream (using eliteXelite) from Sweet Seeds, and it went full bore male for me. Produced an ABUNDANCE of pollen (not quite Doug’s PPP pollen count, but still plenty!). Absolutely would have had the ability to pollenate anything in the house, and contaminate nearby plants.

I have tried reversing Dark Devil from SS, and a GG4 I got from Corey, both resulted in half reversals, the DD producing some viable pollen, but mostly clumpy crap I had to force out of it. The GG4 looked like it made a tiny bit of pollen, but that might have been a fluke, after chop I got NADA from it.

If you are worried about provenance, its probably best to stick to one strain at a time making pollen. You could get 99.9% of the original plants pollen, and just 0.1% of the offenders pollen while collecting, and Murphy’s Law states that 0.1% will end up being the “mystery pheno” you never can quite figure out that you JUST GOTTA KEEP.

8 Likes

I would agree the contaminations would be the same.
When I had two strains going I started 2 months apart. I also have a M-I-L apartment on the end of my house with it’s own air source, think condo. I still showered after working in both grow areas and only worked in each area every other day.

:green_heart: :seedling:

4 Likes